Failsafe...no idea

Foxfan

Hello, I understand failsafe is something people do now, but I have absolutely no idea how to do it or even if it can be done with my equipment. I have a DX5e and a DX7 TX, an Orange and 2 Storm Rxs.

I've tried to watch youtubes, but they don't show my equipment.

Cheers,

Martin

Foxfan, I don't know about the DX7 but this is how It's done on my DX8.

It's very simple.

Switch on Tx and open the model.

Enter function list and scroll down to "Throttle Cut "

Once in throttle cut screen you can assign a switch ( I use a spare 2 position swith ).

Select your preference for switch position used to cut throttle ( 0 or 1 ).

Return to main screen and it should be done.

Go to monitor screen and check that the throttle channel goes down to zero when your switch is toggled.

Good luck and let me know if it works for you.

Steve.

Edit.PS. I always have my throttle trim set to zero too.

Edited By Steve Colman on 20/02/2020 13:40:08

Posted by Foxfan on 20/02/2020 13:03:34:

Hello, I understand failsafe is something people do now, but I have absolutely no idea how to do it or even if it can be done with my equipment. I have a DX5e and a DX7 TX, an Orange and 2 Storm Rxs.

I've tried to watch youtubes, but they don't show my equipment.

Cheers,

Martin

Any 2.4ghz Transmitter

Needs binding after all the faff and throws are set to the correct sticks

Then with the throttle stick Down, bind any 2.4ghz compatible Tx/Rx together

This sets the Failsafe to Throttle Low on loss of Signal

The DX transmitters do to bind mode holding the trainer switch before switch on

Edited By Denis Watkins on 20/02/2020 13:58:43

Throttle cut is not what the o.p. was asking for. It is a reversion to pre programmed servo positions on loss of signal.

I mainly use JR Tx`s, not Spektrum, but the general way to set it with these systems is to insert a bind plug into the bind socket, connect power to a spare channel, set the sticks to neutral other than the throttle which should be set to low, press and hold the Tx bind button if it has one then switch it on whilst holding in the button. Wait for the Rx LED to go on solid instead of flashing then turn everything off and remove the bind plug.

Alternatively there may be the `smart safe` option where you follow the above but after powering up the Rx you remove the bind plug then carry on as normal.

Power up again, set the throttle to high, turn off the Tx and the throttle servo should go to low.

There may be differences on DSM2/DSMX.

This is a legal requirement if the gear is equipped with a failsafe mode.

The instructions which came with the Tx`s if you have them will detail this; you can always google and download.

PS. You need to do this again after the model has been flown and the trims set.

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 20/02/2020 14:03:08

Posted by Denis Watkins on 20/02/2020 13:54:35:

Any 2.4ghz Transmitter

Needs binding after all the faff and throws are set to the correct sticks

Then with the throttle stick Down, bind any 2.4ghz compatible Tx/Rx together

This sets the Failsafe to Throttle Low on loss of Signal

The DX transmitters do to bind mode holding the trainer switch before switch on

Edited By Denis Watkins on 20/02/2020 13:58:43

Well that may be true for Spekrum gear, so should help the OP yes

However it is not true for all 2.4GHz transmitters and certainly not true for the brand I use, so non-Spektrum users need to do it differently - a brand specific process.

Dick

I have a DX7 and as far as I know there is no way to set failsafe. The failsafe option is usually a function of the receiver, as far as I am aware, the receiver picks up the position of all the sticks at the time it is bound to the transmitter. When the signal fails the only action, I understand, is the throttle goes to low and all the flying surfaces stay in their last position. embarrassed

Posted by Wilco Wingco on 20/02/2020 14:42:10:

I have a DX7 and as far as I know there is no way to set failsafe. The failsafe option is usually a function of the receiver, as far as I am aware, the receiver picks up the position of all the sticks at the time it is bound to the transmitter. When the signal fails the only action, I understand, is the throttle goes to low and all the flying surfaces stay in their last position. embarrassed

Spot on correct Wilco

That's why after all the faff, we rebind, throttle low

So the last flying settings are bound between the two

Thanks for all the info, chaps, but Oh dear, I still don't know what you're all talking about! I bought the DX7 at the last field visit I made, thanks to the weather, so I have no idea how to do all that pooterisation of model specs. that the screen is for. maybe I should wait until the weather breaks, take it all up the club and hope somebody can show me what to do there as I have no idea what to do with a screen. Never had one before. But do I take it that with my particular gear I can't set the servos to what seems safe, except for a low or off setting for the throttle? I really wouldn't want the ailerons to be set to roll as last instruction and watch it spiral in.

But thanks all for your time. I thought it was something more to do with the Rx. than the Tx. It never occured to me that it was a result of a particular binding exercise. To be honest I still can't get used to that lark! 27 Mg never needed binding and that is my limited experience until recently.

Martin

If you have a DX 7 like mine (Which is an aerly one)

You must have bound the Rxto the transmitter.

First fit the Bind plug into the battery socket. Connect the battery to any other socket You should haev a spare on if you have more that a four channel Rx. If not leave one servo unplugged.

Now switch the RX on with the transmitter OFF.

The red light on the Rx will flash. Now place the control stick were ypou want them Normally throttle closed,the others in neutral.

Press the bind button on the back to the transmitter and only then switch the transmitter on

The red light on the Rx will go to steady red.Release the button and the Rx is bound to the Tx.

Switch everything off.Remove the bind plug.

Now switch the Tx on and then the Rx as normal.

Move all the sticks to different placesand throttle tofull power. Switch the Tx off. After a second or two all the servos should go to neutarl and the throttleservo should go to fully closed

Thanks, peter. Sounds simple enough, except that if it involves selecting a model on the DX7's screen, I'm stuck as I don't have a clue how to use the screen!

A friend has sent me a manual site with both on it and the DX5e is very easy to do as it has no screen, but my Spitfire and trainer will be on the DX 7...only when I can get back up the field and consult the chap I bought it from, as I'll need to be shown. A written section or even a Youtube won't cut it. This weather dependant, alas.

Martin

The user manual is available for download off the net. To select a model press the select and scroll down switch together, its marked ACCESS on the body, then switch the transmitter ON. The model number will appear with model type and DSM for modulation. Release the down and select and press the increase or decrease button, on the right of the screen, to increase or decrease the model number. Press the select key twice, only once will select the copy option, now that model number will be selected and you can use the scroll key to travel through the set up options in the menu for that model. To change the other options turn on the transmitter and press the select and down keys together to enter the other option screens Again using the scroll key to navigate through the options.

Hope this helps. Once you get the hang of it its quite straight forward.

Good Luck.thumbs up

The Spitfire is the very easy to fly Flite Test one, built from free downloaded plans. It has an undercambered wing tip which prevents the usual tip stall. It is clearly, from various videos, an easy flier. That's why I built it (in two days!). I already have an FT Pietenpol which flies like a dream despite having no ailerons. I have also flown a friend's shoulder wing sports 'plane. Rather thrown in at the deep end, as it's a very quick, slippery and extremely responsive job, but I actually got on better with it than the two trainers the club teaches with on buddy box, so I am fairly confident that I shall continue to be a good pupil. Of course the instructor's manner is so important and the best teacher by far was my chum whose sportster I flew with his instruction and, most important of all, encouragement. And he ain't an official instructor! I was cock-a-hoop when I flew with him. Apparently I was flying almost an A cert. pattern, but when he said the fuel was getting low I insisted he take over to land, as it was his aircraft, but I have landed my Pietenpol and another friend's tiny foam glider conversion. I think flying real aircraft has helped me understand what these do when they're up there.

But fear not, I have a DB Mascot trainer to fly when my chum is there and I will continue learning with the club buddy box, but that doesn't start till May, so I'll be cramming with my chum until then. The big problem with the Spitfire (which I thought I'd finished) is that all four servos are duff! The fifth which is in the wing of a Depron Skystreak is also no good. He has one more day to answer me or he gets a foul feedback on ebay! Maybe I should stick to Banggood! But I managed to remove the servos without damage to the foamboard Spitfire.

Cheers,

Martin

Indeed Martin. Ideally the seller should have provided you with the manual for the gear he sold you. I always keep mine until I part with the radio, then pass them on.

Is your DX7 one of the early, JR based transmitters that Peter M has referred to above? There have been a couple of later iterations. The easiest way to tell is the newer models have a scroll wheel to the right of the screen, the original DX7 doesn't. Navigating through the menus on each type is totally different.

The first thing to find out is how to bind your Tx to the Rx. Peter describes how to do this above, the early DX7s have the bind button on the back, the later ones have it on the top. Keep about 1m away from the Rx while binding. The failsafe position is set during the bind process.

For initial experimentation, don't worry about changing model memory, just try binding with whichever memory is active, then progress from there as you find out more.

My DX7 is the earlier sort, with no scroll roller, just "up and down" on the left and a clear "bind and range check" button in the middle of the back. To be fair to the chap who sold it to me, he's a regular at the field and would always help me out. I just thought I should sound like I at least had some idea of things! My main question was because somebody told me that failsafes were done with a button on the Rx., which mine don't have. Now I know it's part of the bind process I feel happier. My current model was bound and checked out by a fellow club member who whistled through the process and rather left me behind, but I do recall him making a point of putting the throttle stick at "low" when he did it.

Thanks to everyone for your help, as always.

Martin

A point that has largely been overlooked, the OP states that the receivers are Orange and Storm. The failsafe function is a feature of the receivers not the Transmitter. When the receiver loses signal the transmitter has no control over what the receiver does. The failsafe function is essentially a default set of control positions that the receiver goes to when signal is lost.

It is correct that these default positions are generally set during binding, as the receiver "remembers" the stick positions of the transmitter at the point of binding. Thereafter the receiver remembers these default positions until rebound. The number of channels or control functions remembered varies with receiver manufacturer and model. The most basic receivers offer no or very limited, ie just throttle, failsafe. More (recent) sophisticated receivers offer not only throttle but also elevator , aileron, rudder etc. failsafe settings.

Therefore you need to know not only your transmitter bind process, but also the capabilities and operating modes of the receivers. Manufacturers information is widely available on the internet, but probably more help will be forthcoming form club members who are familiar with the same receivers.

As a minimum the throttle failsafe should be set to cut the throttle on loss of signal, as someone has already mentioned this is now a requirement as set out in CAP 658:

Failsafes
Any powered model aircraft fitted with a receiver capable of operating in failsafe
mode should have the failsafe set, as a minimum, to reduce the engine(s) speed
to idle on loss or corruption of signal.

Edited By BackinBlack on 21/02/2020 10:31:17

I think it's worth adding that just as important as setting your failsafe is checking that it's actually working.

All you need to do is, with your model safely restrained and responding to the transmitter, apply something like quarter throttle and switch off the transmitter. If the motor cuts (or goes to your intended idle) then your failsafe is working.

Lower the throttle to minimum and switch transmitter back on to regain control.

I like to repeat this test as part of my pre flight checks on the first flight of the day on each model.