Pin Holes

Andy J

Being doing some balsa bashing to knock up a Bird of Time. Having completed a modified centre wing section to allow each wing to plug directly into the fuselage I am left with the 1/16" wing sheeting peppered with pin holes. In the old days I would make up a paste of balsa sandings mixed with balsa glue to fill these. So what is the modern replacement to this approach as the last filler I purchased from my local model shop was rubbish? Have tried Wilco's light weight filler on Depron but its a bit of a mess on balsa.

Try some water based filler like polyfiller or polyfiller light . Sands really easy once dried and adheres well There are also many lightweight fillers on sale at Diy stores . If area is prone to twisting try some Ronseal Woodfill. Its a two part filler that sets in about 10 minutes a little heavier than the light stuff but wont shrink or fall out , its easy to sand and comes in white or beige .

Hi Andy,

... just mix your lightweight filler with a few drops of diluted PVA (20-25 %)...

... perfect adhesion to whatever wood you're using and really easy to sand when dry...

... if your model is to be covered with 'translucent' material, just add half a drop of artist acrylic 'Burnt Umber' to get the shade of balsa...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...

I always pull out the pins with a pair of pliers, twisting the pins to release the glue then a straight pull out generally only leaves a small pin hole. Not sure of the spit method these days, could be a lot of covid 19 carrying planes flying about, wink sorry by the time we get to fly again it should have worn off.

If you are covering with heat shrink film I doubt the pin holes will even show. Before covering I sand and and paint with thinned pva/balsa sealer then sand again before covering. I don’t think I have ever needed to fill individual pin holes. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 31/03/2020 14:39:51