Another "which radio?" Question

Morning chaps. It's been a while. So I hope you are all doing well.

Last time I was here was a few years ago when I asked advice and ended up buying a rather nice taranis radio. Since then I have flown almost nothing as I've been busy elsewhere doing other things. I've really dropped out of the rc hobby although my sons are big into it and now work professionally building large (very) fixed wing UAVs.

One thing and another has left me unemployed...ex thomas cook pilot then several jobs lost to corona virus effects and here I am , one unemployed airline pilot. In honesty I dont see my industry wanting me for a very long time so it could be that my flying days are over. With that in mind my eye started to look to model flying again and I saw the ben buckle S60 low winger...very pretty.

Anyway,that taranis radio i had was so mind boggling that i gave it to my son. I found the menus impossible...i understood the concept but just found it too frustrating. I felt it was doing verbally what would be better done visually. By the by. I need new radio.

My old futaba ff9 has died. I am heartily sick of all the different protocols...buy orange but this receiver, buy JR butnyou need this receiver...is that dsm sir or will sir need dsmx? And would sir want woofers and tweeters with that??

It does my head in. So. I'm going back to Futaba. But now the fun continues. I saw a tranny for sale and showed my son. Rubbish he says, its fasst not fhss. And you really want sfhhs. Or was that the other way round. Never mind. Aghhhhhhh. I just want a radio and be able to buy receivers from anywhere that say "compatible"!!!. Is this too much these days? Oh how i miss my 35Mhz xtals PPM and PCM. Easy.

I've seen a second hand cg10. Is that any good? Fasst and fhss/sfhhs....are they compatible? Which should i get?

I know in an ideal world I'd go out and buy a brand new futaba set from a shop...but i havent worked since September 23rd last year so that wont happen.

Am i the only grandad who feels this frustration???? Ps. I am not even a grandad.

David

Advert

David, when Futaba went 2.4 ghz, all their radios were Fasst, but this used a more expensive chip, so they introduced the newer FHSS systems which used cheaper off the shelf chips. Now all the radios upto the 10J use the FHSS system (SFHSS or TFHSS, the T means telemetry) and 14sg and above multi-protocol which can handle the FHSS and Fasst protocols.

The cg10 is an older model which does Fasst only. Plus the cg10 is now an older model so unless you know it's history you may be better going for a newer model.

The only companies who have kept a standard protocol, as far as I am aware, are Multiplex (Mlink) and Jeti (Duplex) and Graupner after a false start have stuck with HOTT. Earlier Spektrum transmitters are DSM2 but will work with both DSM2 and DSMx receivers, but the later DSMx transmitters are not compatible with the older DSM2 receivers.

PS nothing wrong with 35 Mhz, I'm still flying several IC models on 35Mhz and just acquired another Multiplex 35mhz Cockpit in perfect condition for less than £40 as a backup to my well worn one.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 06/04/2020 08:10:39

Oh my poor brain...

I've just seen an advert for a transmitter called Radiolink at10ii. It looks like a typical futaba clone but says this...

• Modulation mode: QPSK
  • Spread Spectrum: DSSS and FHSS

What does that mean? Is it futaba? Spekky? Is it unique with no noneOEM receiver available?

How does ANYONE start this hobby these days?

I’ve seen Futaba FF9s for £70 second hand. I still use mine after nearly 10 years with FrSky RXs and a Futaba 8ch module in the back. Model Radio Workshop give it a service every now and then . There is only one protocol FASST and that is it. That’s no bad thing, no telemetry but then I always check batteries before each flight.

Saying that there are lots of makes, lots of DSM,DSX, FHSS, FASST......quite confusing. Newer models do need updates from a download/ updates off the internet now and again.

And the point of all this, is try a couple of Txs, see how they feel in your hand, talk to the owners and get them to show you the basic settings and menus etc. Though not easy to do at the moment

People probably start by not caring about the protocol that their radio link uses.

If budgetary concerns are an issue why not see what sets fit your budget and then perhaps look at the support available for the actual functional programming of the radio (either direct from the manufacturer or on forums or YouTube etc) and use that to make your decision.

David, I sympathise with you!

The first decision you need to make is what type of plane do you want to fly? If you're happy with "normal" flying of "normal" planes (my case), you don't need ultra-high tech telemetry and the multiplicity of functions and menus that go with it. You can buy a basic but quality transmitter and a variety of inexpensive receivers, and this will enable you to fly anything from electric gliders and vintage planes up to 20 or 30cc Warbirds. Do you want more than that?

Reading these forums, I get the impression that many people simply enjoy the challenge of programming complex transmitters.

I've been an aeromodeller since 1948 but I only started serious RC flying 8 years ago. I'm using a Spektrum DX6 and inexpensive Orange receivers, plus a couple of Spektrum receivers that were included with the Tx. This setup is simple to use and will fly anything from my diesel powered Junior 60 up to my Laser 75 powered Hawker Hurricane, including electric and Irvine powered Wot 4s and Acrowots
If you don't want more than that, then why mess with all this open source programming nonsense?
Keep it simple!

hello David, forget about all the fancy and mind boggling terms and tech stuff...I would recommend you buy say a current futaba set ...choose your aircraft and enjoy flying.then if you decide to expand you can do so knowing that your futaba stuff is well supported. If you go on looking at all the tech terms you'll just do your head in....and end more confused..

ken anderson...ne..1.... tech terms dept.

Ken, et al. Thanks for the sanity!

What kind of models I fly? I'm afraid I'm a simple soul...four channels usual, six probably tops. Tiger moths, extra wots,spitfires, think 1985 and you wont go far wrong.

I also started to think that programming is actually a part of the hobby, not just a way to it...soni need to avoid it.

Anyway, I took the advice and have bought a futaba t8j. I have no doubt it will do the job splendidly and give me exactly what I need. Actually, what I NEED will be well surpassed.

And no Taranis to wrestle with.(the taranis by the way is a most excellent radio and my son loves it. I just couldnt fathom it).

Thanks chaps. Now to build that S60 low wing version. I do hope they havent spoiled perfection...

Posted by brokenenglish on 06/04/2020 09:11:34:

If you don't want more than that, then why mess with all this open source programming nonsense?
Keep it simple!

Oh dear, isn't this what was said when cars came along to replace horse and carts, steam trains replaced by diesel then electric, TVs controls with cabled remote controls then wireless remote controls?

wink 2

Dave, thanks for the video. Looks and sounds like my old ff9 logic.

As for open source programming comments being akin to cars vs horses, not at all in my view. Many of us see radios, like cars, as tools not toys. My planes are my toys...with them I fettle, the radio is a tool like a spanner or screwdriver. Likewise my car...I dont settle cars, I drive cars to get me places.

But it's not an argument I wish to start or further, just saying that not wanting to play with programming doesnt make anyone a worse modeller...remember the days when we only had one set of servos and we swapped them from model to model ! How times change.

Anyway, thanks everyone. And thanks for talking to me again after my long time away.

It's good to see my kids all modelling every day and I have modelled vicariously through them, so to speak.

D

Posted by Ron Gray on 06/04/2020 09:54:46:
Posted by brokenenglish on 06/04/2020 09:11:34:

Keep it simple!

Oh dear, isn't this what was said when cars came along to replace horse and carts, steam trains replaced by diesel then electric, TVs controls with cabled remote controls then wireless remote controls?

wink 2

Sorry Ron, but I obviously don't find your comment valid. The comparisons you give represent real progress.
But flying is flying, can you explain how my Wot 4 and Hawker Hurricane would fly better using complex transmitter programming?

Everything in RC depends on reliable radio, in my view you need a reliable make but a model that is sufficient for your needs but not too expensive. If it shows any glitch it's useless to me, and not worth servicing either so it's sidelined. So the choice is 6 channel Futaba or Spektrum DX6 . Also consider the cost of extra Rx and their long term availability. Most people want an extra Rx for each of their models, and they have plenty nowadays with ARTF. So again Futaba T or Spektrum are the thing. To me it's an easy choice - Futaba or Spektrum 6 Channel. Spektrum has the edge with Model Match which prevents using the wrong memory/model so the choice is easy?

Ron Gray's suggestion it's like cars is relevant, consider todays cars where you have everything but if there is the slightest fault ( a warning light fails and it's an MOT failure etc) it's hopeless and very few people can fix it. So simple is better!

In the current circumstances the best budget buy appears to be the Futaba T6L Sport at 67 pounds in stock at Servo Shop ( open for mailorder ) and it says it has a Rx too at that price ( check!) Seems a real bargain at the moment. Go to be the budget way to go even if the Rx is extra.

My feeling is all stuff from Far East will be become difficult to obtain and become more  expensive so anything that seems a bargain now seems worth grabbing if you can.   Same goes for motors, Lipo, ESC, servos etc. 

Edited By kc on 06/04/2020 11:15:22

Water under the bridge now, as David has bought a T8J, but for anybody in the same position with and 'oldy but goody' radio, I would echo others' advice to get Mike Ridley to give it the once over. Futaba and JR especially are pretty bullet proof and worth preserving and upgrading with aftermarket modules. I have FrSky modules in my FF9 and my JR388 - the latter is 23 years old...

"What kind of models I fly?.......... spitfires,"

just something to consider, depending on how crazy you go with features...

basics:

1 throttle / 2 elevator / 3 rudder / 4 aileron

obvious features:

5 flaps / 6 gear 

but then...

7 second aileron channel, possibly

8 second flaps channel, possibly

9 ignition cut for the petrol

10 gear doors

11 landing lights

Clearly, lots can be done with mechanical links and Y leads and so on, but it could be easy to use up the channels on a 30cc (ish) size warbird

Edited By Nigel R on 06/04/2020 11:59:07

Hi David, I use an 8j with a wide range of aircraft. Moving from FF7 [ also still in use] was straight forward.

For my larger IC types I stay with Futaba's own S-FHSS RX R2006gs and R2008gs rx's. For lightweights/foamies I use Corona [ not the virus] R6FS and R4SF rx,s. All have been good.

Cheers, John.