Lockdown Models

David Davis

Building that Spit in that time is good going!

Today I crashed my elite apache, and removed the warps from the wings of my little DR1.

And weeded, and ran in the 'virtual relay', and painted some fence panels, and had PT Session via zoom. And now drinking red wine in garden. Retirement is hell

GG

Rear view.jpgFront view.jpgGalaxy Domino gradually taking shape. Not the easiest model have ever built because the instructions omit some key steps and the build sequence seems a bit odd sometimes, but it is keeping me busy and it's different to anything else I have. Laser 70 for the bit at the frontLaser70.jpg

The Gyron is lovely Steve, my first "rc" model was a Gyron bought form the local diy shop back in 1981, converted it to use my channel futaba buggy radio and an os10fsr but never got to fly it, was gifted a built trainer and learnt on that.

Always mean to build another one but with no plan supplied I went for a Belair Half Tone from the Nat's couple of years ago.

Did you build it from a kit?

Can I pop round to your place to run up some of mine? I am getting a bit concerned as to their state and have already needed to replace the bearings in two OS 25FX`s. I would normally do brief runs at home but have had to complain about a neighbour`s dog a few times so it may not go down too well with everyone at home all day. We are now back on speaking terms.

Lovely motor, what is it going in?

Martin

I started this many (tens of) years ago, an own design Sopwith Camel. This was before I had enough money to do it properly. This is a rebuild, about 70% is new. Some time ago I was helping at a local school young engineers club and managed to get a set of ribs and riblets laser cut for it. The cowling is from fibreglass, rather more resin than glass, and is heavy, but I doubt that will matter as it will just be part of the needed nose weight.

camel1.jpg

camel2.jpg

Mike

That looks great, Mike. You're right about needing all that weight up at the front. The dummy engine on my Pup is mounted on a 4mm birch ply disc with express purpose of being able to screw lumps of lead on to it, thus getting the best effect of otherwise useless avoir dupas

What is the intended power source?

Geoff

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 08/05/2020 19:25:34:

Lovely motor, what is it going in?

Martin

It was going in the bin as its always been a right donkey. New pistons and all the rest of it seem to have done the trick.

It seems at its best chugging along at around half throttle so i need to find a nice biplane or something for it i think.

As for your other engines, i know what you mean and have been slowly getting through my fleet with short ground runs. Im not worried too much by the noise, 5 minutes every other day is not exactly a hardship

For some time I've had an old used Puppeteer to rebuild, and noting the "cut fuselage" ideas on here which would enable the wings to stay rigged, I've been playing. The most awkward part was making the forward servo tray (for balance purposes) as when the two halves slide together the 45mm approx. movement to fix them gives very little space. Also, thanks to the Thingyvers people, my son as been able to produce 3d printed wheels for me

img_5971.jpg

img_6435.jpg

img_6439.jpg

img_6444.jpg

img_6445.jpg

img_6448.jpg

img_6451.jpg

img_20200424_115026.jpg

Mine was a 16" Pilatus PC-6 Porter for free flight rubber from a Walt Mooney plan, converted to float-plane.

AUW 19g fitted with a loop of 1/8" rubber 3 times distance from hook to peg, duration 30-45 secs and hope it'll have enough power for a ROG in our monthly sports-hall... when normal service resumes!

dsc_0140.jpg

dsc_0162.jpg

dsc_0159.jpg

dsc_0180.jpg

Edited By Jonathan M on 10/05/2020 22:14:42

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed a scratch built Chico, hence no dummy Cox engine or canopy. Not flown it yet so not sure how easy it is to repair... The Canard sloper below is my interpretation of the one John Woodfeild built (he of the fantastic videos on Utube). Although his had foam wings, mine is a built up structure. I started it before lockdown but completed it in April and managed a few 'isolated exercise' flights since. It flies remarkably well considering I built it.

thumbnail_img_0385.jpgthumbnail_img_0266.jpg