Toying with selling up

Hi all I'm toying with selling up but could do with some help with what my stuff is worth.

I have a DX8E (pretty much new used for maybe 10mins max) Would asking around £150ish be reasonable?

A Hobbyzone Carbon Cub S+ I haven't flown this personally as this had to go back to Logic RC to be repaired due to an electronics fault however they've test flown it a for me and all is well with it. Would about £150-160ish be reasonable?

And finally a brand new E Flite P47 razorback all I've done with this is test the electrics otherwise it's just been sitting gathering dust. Would £180ish be reasonable for this?

This is not a for sale thread as I haven't actually decided whether to sell up or not yet but I would like to get an idea of how much to ask for it incase I do.

Advert

Others may disagree, but as a rule of thumb, I tend to think that 50 - 60% max of the retail price is a realistic expectation. Unfortunately in your case, it doesn't really matter whether it's been used for 10 minutes or 10 months.

Don't know how that compares to your estimates.

All subject to the usual mantra that it's worth what someone will pay for it - the trick is finding the 'someone' who really really wants it.

Good luck if you do decide to sell up, but be sure - it'd be galling to sell it then realise you wanted to carry on after all!!

Kim

Have read back over your posts Super, and we have not flown at my club since you started last October.

You cannot of had any of the joy this hobby has to offer yet.

Put your stuff away, it will cost you dearly to replace it when you would be very lucky to get a couple of hundred quid for the whole lot, and I am being generous.

Unfortunately it's more of a practical reason why I'm toying with selling up. I don't drive and I'm looking at having a motorcycle as my main and only transport. So trying to transport planes on a motorcycle could be a bit interesting lol.

As said above I'm only toying with selling up at the moment as I can't see any of the theory test centers being opened again any time soon however if they bring out an online test I'll need to put money towards that and my full motorcycle license test.

Edited By Supersavage on 12/05/2020 14:50:46

Posted by Supersavage on 12/05/2020 14:50:06:

Unfortunately it's more of a practical reason why I'm toying with selling up. I don't drive and I'm looking at having a motorcycle as my main and only transport. So trying to transport planes on a motorcycle could be a bit interesting lol.

As said above I'm only toying with selling up at the moment as I can't see any of the theory test centers being opened again any time soon however if they bring out an online test I'll need to put money towards that and my full motorcycle license test.

Edited By Supersavage on 12/05/2020 14:50:46

When in my teens I used to travel to the flying field on a moped. Flight box on rack at the back with fuselage on the flight box, wings on brackets attached to frame and rack, fuel can on other side of rack and everything else in a rucksack on my back. I did get some funny looks mind you.

Quite a sad tale. Just wondering if it was such a good idea to begin model flying without suitable transport to the field. I suppose one of your club mates gave you a lift? Not unusual, as we've had a few new flyers give up because of transport difficulties over the years.  Agree with the valuation of your gear, sadly, most of our gear with a few exceptions has very little residual value, made worse by selling it without getting much use from it.

As a motorcyclist myself I fully understand the attraction of bikes, but they do present a number of obvious limitations when it comes to transporting physically large objects. Given the cost of getting ones full bike licence these days with all the training - well over a grand if starting from scratch up to unrestricted, I'm told - (think mine just cost a tenner back in '75, when I was seventeen. Two laps round the block and an emergency stop, if you didn't fall off or run the examiner over, it was a pass and then ride what you like!) Maybe a car licence would be better and you get to keep your hobby! Don't know your full situation, so perhaps not a possible solution.

Best of luck.

Edited By Cuban8 on 12/05/2020 15:29:54

Possibly put energies into a car licence, as a bike is only good to drive around in, and not very nice in the winter and obviously no good for modeling. You can only one hobby, unless you are time/money rich, and do both. Also bikes are dangerous and known two people who were killed on them.

What about getting a Relant, Robin, though the prices they go for is crazy. I know someone who is a biker nearby, in Mow Cop, who had a Reliant,but eventually went for a full licence, only recently.

If you are young then a car licence is a necessary item for many jobs and useful anyway. So it's more cost effective in the long run. However if a motorbike is the only thing then consider asking a clubmate or instructor to keep your plane and just take the Tx and supply of batteries or fuel on the bike.

It's a bad time to sell any s/h gear - lots of people with little income and poor job prospects,  while it's very likely there will be a price increase in everything imported and the near certainty of steep VAT increases to pay for Lockdown.   Therefore replacement would not be cheap in a year or so.

Edited By kc on 12/05/2020 16:17:09

Unfortunately I can never see myself driving a car even though I'm more of a car guy as it were rather a bike guy. I'm also well aware of the dangers of bike as my mum and the majority of my family was/is a biker. However I'm hoping to go for a big adventure bike that ever since I saw one in show room when I picked up my little CBR125R has got under my skin so much that I've even built a Tamiya static kit of it during lockdown, It's a Honda Africa Twin. I couldn't tell you why but I honestly can't see myself with anything else. They are also much cheaper to run than a car unfortunately as said above probably what you save in money comes in another cost which is safety.

I also have various other reasons for why I want to go the bike route which I don't want to post on here but part of it is to help boost my confidence.

If you are not massive keen on rc flying, then probably best not to force the hobby on yourself. I suppose it's got to be in your blood, and if the call of bike is stronger than call of plane...

As said, you can sell your stuff, but now, people haven't got the confidence to spend just like that, and will offer almost nothing anyway.

As a car driver and fair weather biker (now) although I used to commute 80 miles a day all year round on a bike, don't get carried away with the idea that a bike is cheaper to run!!

My 750 Moto Guzzi has better fuel consumption than most at around 60mpg but my Honda CBR600 doesn't do more than 40 - 45mpg. They both need rear tyres around every 4 - 5000 miles, with fronts every 6 - 8000. The rear chain and sprockets on the Honda circa 10K miles and oil changes every 3000. The only reason I commuted on the bike was to save time, which on the commute into S London from West Sussex could amount to an hour a day (probably more now).

Your choice obviously but do the sums properly, not the 'man maths' to justify it to yourself.

Kim

It'll be cheaper than the Land Rover I'll more than likely end up with if I went the car route lol

I should reiterate that for the time being I'm just trying to get an idea of value and whether if I'm in or around the ball park with the prices I posted, I haven't decided to sell up yet however it is something that I have been thinking about. I've also been in the RC hobby long enough to know that you very, very rarely get the price you ask. Also unless the theory test centers open again and honestly I can't see them opening at all this year or they bring out an online test, for the time being getting a full licence of anything is just a dream at the moment.

I rode motorcycles exclusively throughout the year up to the age of 27 (and much of the time for a many years after) when I 'married' a 2 year old1965 Mini deLuxe. I had a Steib S350 sports sidecar that kept me upright in the icy winters we enjoyed back then and even used it to ride the long distance events like the Exeter and Land's End Trials in early January and Easter, so I understand the attraction. Sidecars are hugely enjoyable vehicles and one might make a suitable model transport. In those days trailers on motor cycles weren't allowed but they are now, so that's another option.

Selling up is tempting, perhaps, but, as has been mentioned, you won't realise any more than 50% to 60% of the initial cost so perhaps it might be better to store what you have in case you change your mind later.

Geoff

You could just test the water by advertising in the classifieds on here. Its a bit sneaky but put an asking price you think is fair and see what response you get - if no response then you are too dear, if loads of response then you are too cheap. In the first case the action to take is obvious, in the latter case you could just say you had changed your mind about selling and wait a while before re-advertisingdevil

Hi Super

The reality of life these days is you need to be able to drive a car, I must be honest I only started rc flying after I had my first car as most clubs are far away from civilization and the only way to get there, keep your gear for the future, I've spent an alarming amount of money on my hobbies over the last 45 years but we'll worth it 😄😎👍

Regards Ray

Peter it would probably be helpful if you explained a bit more about your Aixam which is a very rare car -what licence group do they come under? - do new motorcycle licences cover this type of 4 wheel car? Do you pay road tax like most cars? Are they RHD?

Aside from the Aixam iwas going to suggest buying a classic car- something just old enough to rate as a tax free, and allegedly low insurance cost car. I would suggest looking for a 25 year old Toyota or Mazda as very reliable possibly underrated classic. Keep for years and only go up in value surely?

Posted by Ray Wood 4 on 12/05/2020 18:53:33:

Hi Super

The reality of life these days is you need to be able to drive a car, I must be honest I only started rc flying after I had my first car as most clubs are far away from civilization and the only way to get there, keep your gear for the future, I've spent an alarming amount of money on my hobbies over the last 45 years but we'll worth it 😄😎👍

Regards Ray

Going to have to disagree with that as I know plenty of people who only have a bike and yes they have to get a little creative with carrying things from time to time they manage perfectly fine. Also even with my limited road experience riding my little cbr you can get to places quicker because you can filter and more often than not end far less stressed than people that have driven there.

Honestly biggest downside I see with biking and it's something that I'm always afraid of is having my bike stolen.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 12/05/2020 19:05:14:

I have 2 cars, and both able to store loads of models, and tow a large caravan. Going to shows (when that happens) and the like...

dscf3252.jpg

Can't help thinking that you need more planes cheeky​​​​​​

You have a nice collection there yes

Posted by Kim Taylor on 12/05/2020 16:45:28:

As a car driver and fair weather biker (now) although I used to commute 80 miles a day all year round on a bike, don't get carried away with the idea that a bike is cheaper to run!!

My 750 Moto Guzzi has better fuel consumption than most at around 60mpg but my Honda CBR600 doesn't do more than 40 - 45mpg. They both need rear tyres around every 4 - 5000 miles, with fronts every 6 - 8000. The rear chain and sprockets on the Honda circa 10K miles and oil changes every 3000. The only reason I commuted on the bike was to save time, which on the commute into S London from West Sussex could amount to an hour a day (probably more now).

Your choice obviously but do the sums properly, not the 'man maths' to justify it to yourself.

Kim

Agreed that bikes are dearer than cars to run. 4-5000 miles from a rear tyre you obviously don't push very hard, last road bike I had lucky to get a 1000 and about double that out of a front and chain and sprocket, had an RGV about 1995 and only got about 2000 miles from a tyre on that and it's not exactly the most powerful thing