Personal Injuries.

Bit of a whinge sorry, yesterday my Son was knocked off his Cycle, tea time on a good visibility day, now laid in hospital with multiple broken bones. He's 39 years old and no idiot on his bike, story so far is a Transit van took him the width of the road, then drove off, but returned after a time. Police have statements from witnesses. Son has no memory of being hit, but the village grapevines says he wasn't at fault, they say some interesting things and I'll leave it there.

So my question, which is the best way to get a lawyer for my Sons case, and can we go after the driver if he's at fault ? If what I've heard is true, I would like to make his life a misery.

Check to see if your son's household insurance includes legal assistance. Similarly if he drives and is a member of the AA or RAC he may have legal assistance with them. Other than that it's the "Have you had an accident that wasn't your fault" Better Call Saul type lawyers or retain your own solicitor.

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 19/05/2020 17:26:05

John, I hope your son makes as speedy a recovery without any long term complications.

Without wishing to condone the driver's failing to stop, be thankful that the driver returned and faced up to what he had done. People are all different, and panic makes them behave in strange ways.

Shaun's suggestions all sound good. If none of those are applicable, you could try speaking to Cycling UK
which used to be known as the Cycle Touring Club. At least the companies they use should be experienced in dealing with claims by cyclists. Failing that, have a look on a few cycling forums; there is bound to be a thread about good and bad claims lawyers.

Hi john, sorry to hear about your Lads accident..

I cycle to work most days and most days I have what I call a near miss, most are just drivers not concentrating, but some are deliberate shows of aggression. your Lad will be aware of this I know.

I second the suggestion from Robin to contact Cycling UK, I am a member. It costs About £45 per annum and well worth it for the cover and legal backup.

They should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

The other thing I do, is wear a camera on my helmet. Whatever happens then, I have evidence.

Hope the Boy recovers soon, and is back on his bike.

D.D.

Posted by Tim Flyer on 19/05/2020 21:17:40:

Very sorry to hear that I’m sure as said above Cycling UK will help... I’m a member too. It’s so sad seeing the awful attitude of some motorists to cyclists.

i think it goes both ways Tim. Before i could drive i saw the bad motorists as i cycled along. Now i can drive i see the bad cyclists sailing through red lights, the nutcase motorbikes going way too fast, and the bad drivers thinking they are gods gift and everyone else is just in the way.

Ultimately everyone on the road should be considerate of everyone else but that is not always the case

John, given that the police are already involved can they not offer you some advice?

Jon yes it “goes” both ways in terms of “rule breaking” but certainly not in terms of physical risk or injury. I also drive cars so can appreciate both sides.

There is a massive mismatched risk to cyclists from cars and lorries.

I see motorists overtake cyclists leaving minimal gap very very often. Cars often overtake cyclists through width restrictions and overtake on blind bends and ahead of oncoming traffic .
I have never heard of a cycle collision injuring a driver but even being hit by a wing mirror can kill a cyclist or result in life changing injury.

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 19/05/2020 21:28:14:
Posted by Tim Flyer on 19/05/2020 21:17:40:

Very sorry to hear that I’m sure as said above Cycling UK will help... I’m a member too. It’s so sad seeing the awful attitude of some motorists to cyclists.

i think it goes both ways Tim. Before i could drive i saw the bad motorists as i cycled along. Now i can drive i see the bad cyclists sailing through red lights, the nutcase motorbikes going way too fast, and the bad drivers thinking they are gods gift and everyone else is just in the way.

Ultimately everyone on the road should be considerate of everyone else but that is not always the case

John, given that the police are already involved can they not offer you some advice?

Not spoken to them, apart from when they came to inform us Jon, I stood there with my gob open and brain not working to be honest, they have his bike and property, so a visit looks on the cards.

John, may I add my wishes for your son's speedy recovery.

In addition to the above suggestions about obtaining legal aid, you may find that if he has car insurance, that may also offer legal aid. These days it seems as if every kind of insurance policy offers some kind of legal assistance, so once he is well enough to talk to you, check out every insurance policy he holds.

Personally, I am loath to venture on the highways without being surrounded by substantial quantities of sheet steel! There are far too many idiots out there on the roads!

--

Pete

Insurance is just one of the many reasons I've been a member of the CTC (now Cycling UK) for over 40 years. I hope your son recovers well and the errant motorist gets his just deserts.

I was knocked off by an uninsured driver in an untaxed un MoT car some years ago and the police weren't very interested in my injuries but as I was cycling home from work I was able to get help from the union and the Motor Insurer's Bureau coughed up a couple of thousand for a new Mercian frame and my injuries. Oddly enough the most serious injury I've had cycling was caused by a cat and that really was life changing.

Geoff

Lots of no win no fee solicitors out there, in fact most solicitors that do personal injury offer this. Most take out an insurance policy to cover them if they should loss, but won't take it on unless there's a strong chance of a win.

If you win they take there fee and costs from your award up to a max of 25% if they loss providing you haven't made a fraudulent claim and have acted on there advise you pay nothing, you can instruct them out of your own pocket but final cost will be similar but if you loss it's your bill.

Just Google no win no fee solicitor Doncaster