June 2020 RCM&E

Jon Goldsmith

All the printers are running behind at the moment, for the obvious reasons.

Not expecting delivery until probably next week sometime.

The Ed will no doubt have had his work cut out this month as well, if the BMFA magazine is anything to go by !

I was sent the notification last Friday that the digital mag was available on the app. Went to download it and there is a copy of the front page of Model Engineer but has the details of the contents of the RCM&E mag alongside.

Have contacted the help desk at RCM&E to sort it out as it downloaded the Model Engineer instead !!

Hoping for a speedy resolution. Stay safe everyone

I just could not take it , plain simple. One can ignore an error but two is twice too much.sarcastic

With Covid situation shipping of Mag is out of question, last one to make it through to India was the March issue. Thankfully I had subscribed to print as well as digital version and could continue enjoying the later issues.

Seeing yet another scale Tiger Moth featured in the June issue, excited me. Straight I go to the article and then third page of the article and one sees not one but two blunders by Mr Whittaker. The spring loaded cowl catches being called as 'scale DZUS fastners' and then the lower wing attachment base plate being mentioned as "control horns"

I do concede that these are trying times for all, but no sir, you can not escape your responsibilities

And I am not finished with the article yetwink 2

Alex Whittaker's attention to detail can be lacking sometimes. I was recently reading an old mag with a fly-in report by AW. He described a Douglas SBD Dauntless as a Harvard!

Then in two editions of RCM&E this year he wrongly accredited the design of the Flair Magnatilla to Duncan Hutson instead of Dudley Pattison.

Fair winds me up!

Posted by Roger Auker 1 on 20/05/2020 13:33:12:

I was sent the notification last Friday that the digital mag was available on the app. Went to download it and there is a copy of the front page of Model Engineer but has the details of the contents of the RCM&E mag alongside.

Have contacted the help desk at RCM&E to sort it out as it downloaded the Model Engineer instead !!

Hoping for a speedy resolution. Stay safe everyone

Same happened to me Roger. I have reported it to the helpdesk at Pocketmags. They are not the same apparently. I'm guessing Pocketmags is the distributor and RCM&E has a publisher, MyTimeMedia?

The nice lady that replied says she has reported it to the publisher and will get back to me when she has some news.

In the meantime I loaded the magazine into the Pocketmags app this evening and it worked OK. Both apps are available from the PlayStore.

In case you didn't know (I didn't for years previously) the two apps are not from the same people. The RCM&E app only loads our magazine but the Pocketmags app can load all the E-magazines. Beware if you buy a subscription through Pocketmags like I did recently it doesn't give you access to the subscriber part of this site. They sorted it for me to cancel the first one I bought and replace it with a MyTimeMedia subscription which meant I got access back. Which was a shame as Pocketmags had emailed me with a special offer discounted price which I obviously lost when I changed.

To make it worse I cannot find a way to archive and so reload the current edition of the magazine like you can do with previous editions so even if they have fixed it I cannot reload the current edition.

I am struggling to read my June issue due to cataracts (operation delayed by current priorities) and note that both free plans use 'Jedelski wings. I can remember that this wing type does not have a bottom skin but leaves the ribs exposed, I wonder if many of our younger readers are aware of this and there is no explanation on either plan.