la.40 in an Acrowot artf?

Hi folks. The la.65 that I have fitted in my Acrowot has finally waved the white flag and gone to the great scrap yard in the sky. The recommended engine range for the model is from .40 up, and I just happen to have an OS la.40 on the shelf and don't really want to spend any money unduly at the moment on another engine. The thing is........ it does not look man enough with its little 11" prop when I hold it up next to the plane!

I know it won't be as powerful as the 65 (which I always thought was far more than it needed anyway) but will the .40 have enough go for basic club flying as it is in the recommended range?

Many thanks for your thoughts

Simon

Advert

I flew a kit built acrowot on a 40la many moons ago. It didnt set the world alight but it flew fine.

Once you get used to flying with a little more thought to momentum and energy retention you will probably forget all about the reduction in power.

Hi chaps, Thanks for all the replies. sounds like I need a 46 at least then! The 65 has been going for many years, and was very well used when it came to me in the first place (along with the airframe) - and it always started and run fine. Now it has developed a noise like a handful of gravel or two rattling around inside after cutting on me a couple of times. I don't have a lot of spare money at the moment so was hoping to utilise what I have to keep her in the air until things improve. I will keep an eye on ebay and see what comes up.

cheers, Simon

Posted by mightypeesh on 18/06/2020 15:05:01:

Hi chaps, Thanks for all the replies. sounds like I need a 46 at least then! The 65 has been going for many years, and was very well used when it came to me in the first place (along with the airframe) - and it always started and run fine. Now it has developed a noise like a handful of gravel or two rattling around inside after cutting on me a couple of times. I don't have a lot of spare money at the moment so was hoping to utilise what I have to keep her in the air until things improve. I will keep an eye on ebay and see what comes up.

cheers, Simon

Take it to bits and see what might be making the noise. If it’s bearings then the replacement cost is a few pounds. If the engine is dead , you can’t break it any more than it is.

Open it up and have a peek.

I have a Laser 70 in my Acrowot and highly recommend the combination. No major modifications, no lead and C of G spot on + flies and sounds really nice.

PS Was there not an issue with LA (46's so assume other sizes) where the plastic engine case leaks causing poor performance? Worth a check first.

Simon, As buying new glow engines means you are finishing in a small and ever diminishing pond, how about seeing if someone has a useable one they would loan or sell on approval?  If you are in a club, try asking around to see if anyone has an engine they don't use anymore. If you were happy with the performance of the 65LA, then most ballraced .50 to .60 size engines should be a comparable replacement.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 18/06/2020 22:34:56

An Acrowot (kit built ?) with a 40LA !!!!!!! ......................Rice pudding - skin - unable to pull off...............crying

I'd be looking for something much less pedestrian than the LA range for an Acrowot (the 65 at a push). Acrowots don't require huge amounts of power to fly nicely, but to underpower them completely destroys their character, makes them harder work to fly (used to fly my Acrowot in any gale with a decent OS 61) and it's nice to be able to open the taps a bit from time to time.

The age of ic is dead, (smallish 2 stroke), proof?

While building my Extra Slim Twin from a Cougar 2000 that was given to me with a OS LA 46 in it (sold the airframe on), was given another LA 46 of rather tired appearance. Found a worst state one in the back of the clubhouse shed.

While flying above model club member offered a FOC near brand new one (Thanks Dave).

To cap that an ex modellers estate was dropped off at the clubhouse, no price and just put the models to good use. Foam gliders all gone, even the twin brushed thing went....just the two ic models untaken (ones a wot 4).

Moral of the story, just ask about they are either dead cheap or given away.