How Windy is Too Windy

Tony H

No simple answer to that I'm afraid. Depends on so many factors, obviously model type, pilot skill and experience, local weather conditions/flying site characteristics etc - how averse are you breaking models? Just build up experience and fly in increasingly difficult conditions, you'll known when too much wind is too much for you. Don't just copy your mates and never fly if you don't feel happy about doing so, or just to prove a point.

Edited By Cuban8 on 26/06/2020 09:57:16

Well to be constructive on this which is why you are asking the question. For there are two aspects. What wind is flyable in and more important what strength of wind is at the limit of your enjoyability.

For instance my +60cc aerobatic models are perfectly able to fly in 15 mph winds, but I can't say I ENJOY it.

10-11 mph is the limit of my enjoyability, but then it's horses for courses. I tend to follow the guidelines of the heavier/bigger the plane for stronger winds and vice versa for calm days. I know others will offer different advice, but this is just one of my quirks!

Of course gliders are something different  - some will fly in gales!!

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 26/06/2020 10:07:29

Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 26/06/2020 10:05:11:

Well to be constructive on this which is why you are asking the question. For there are two aspects. What wind is flyable in and more important what strength of wind is at the limit of your enjoyability.

For instance my +60cc aerobatic models are perfectly able to fly in 15 mph winds, but I can't say I ENJOY it.

10-11 mph is the limit of my enjoyability, but then it's horses for courses. I tend to follow the guidelines of the heavier/bigger the plane for stronger winds and vice versa for calm days. I know others will offer different advice, but this is just one of my quirks!

Of course gliders are something different - some will fly in gales!!

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 26/06/2020 10:07:29

Good points re size Adrian.

As for gliders, many years ago when I flew soarers off a bungee it was quite common to see models kite backwards from the release point as the wind stretched the bungee even further!

jez flt_8.jpgSome of my small racers could cope with winds up to an over 20mph but it wasn't fun.

moon dancer 2 1.jpg

My electric powered aerobatic models are happy in winds around 10mph gusting 12

dsc_1866.jpg

I have flown one of my Marauders,the 25 size version was even flown in 30mph but only once and very briefly. The picture is my larger .52 FS version.

These days I apply the 10-10 rule.About 10 mph.not below 10 degrees

50mph is the maximum wind speed I have flown in. The flying was fine, but standing up was an issue.

Steady wind is no problem at all (once the plane leaves the ground the plane will have no idea it is in wind). Some of the most fun flying can be had during strong wind.

Gusty/turbulent weather is a different matter, and I don't enjoy that much.

Edited By Jason-I on 26/06/2020 11:11:37

Posted by Peter Miller on 26/06/2020 10:29:07:

jez flt_8.jpgSome of my small racers could cope with winds up to an over 20mph but it wasn't fun.

moon dancer 2 1.jpg

My electric powered aerobatic models are happy in winds around 10mph gusting 12

dsc_1866.jpg

I have flown one of my Marauders,the 25 size version was even flown in 30mph but only once and very briefly. The picture is my larger .52 FS version.

These days I apply the 10-10 rule.About 10 mph.not below 10 degrees

Thanks Peter useful to know, since some of my planes are similar to yours.

Generally 20 mph is the maximum for me, but that does depend on the model. I have a 1.75m Hotliner that copes with 20mph with no problems and is enjoyable to fly, this is with no turbulence. Saying that we have woods nearby that can cause a lot of turbulence and when the wind is from that direction you cannot fly at all.

JM

Also, it also depends how much you enjoy repairing.

More than once I've flown successfully in challenging wind and then landed but, before I could get my hands on the model, the wind picked it up, turned it over and damaged it.

Another time I'd had a good old time sloping with a Bird of Time glider at Borough Hill. This hill has a lip all around the edge.

I got too close to the edge on landing and, before I could react, the roll-over turned it over and slammed it into the ground causing severe damage.

So there's lots to think about.

Here I live in Bergen in west Norway, there are often windy days. Then i add more weight in the fuselage (no change CG) to make the plane less sensitive for wind. Be sure the main wing are strong enough for a loaded fuselage. Under landing, no problem with a loaded plane against wind.

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad 2 on 26/06/2020 12:39:21

It's been said several times but the key factor isn't wind speed, but what is immediately upwind of you.

At our field, which is bordered by a wood on one side and open fields on others, it's very noticeable that the "safe" maximum windspeed will vary according to even small variations in wind direction. Even the clubhouse and hedges have significant effects.

If your thing is to fling a model off a high ridge or cliff, then there's little or nothing to disturb the air and model flying can take place in very high windspeeds - although the same can't be said about the air behind you!

The best way for you to find the answer to your question is to fly in as many different conditions as possible - get up to the field on the iffy days as well as the occasional perfect one and fly as much as possible in increasingly challenging conditions. Not only will you discover your own and your model's capabilities, but your skill levels will improve at the same time - just be careful not to get overconfident!

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/06/2020 14:50:39