Flying during pandemic.

Hi all, In Wales the five mile driving rule is to be relaxed soon, so we may be able to start flying again. I have read all the precautions taken by people already flying, just wondered if they are still being used correctly, or a little re laxtion locally maybe.? Cheers

I live in the slope soaring country, in SE Wales where we have been sticking to the restrictions ridgidly. A few lucky people live within 5 miles of a slope and have been flying alone. I've managed some flat field soaring on a local field.

With travelling restrictions easing from Monday we are planning a socially distanced "Coronafest" for next Saturday, (weather permitting), at the Bwlch, between Nant Y Moel & Treorchi.

My club is simply operating a 'first come first served' on the 6 people flying, if you are the 7th, then cannot fly.

We were doing slots a few weeks ago, but no longer, so some aspects of operating have been relaxed.

I note some fliers are better at remembering the 2m distance than others.

I have also noted that the 2m rule is another thing to remember and hold in your head - at a time when some folk are trying to concentrate fully on steering their creation around the sky; doing two things at once usually results in both being done badly.

YMMV.

Posted by J D 8 on 03/07/2020 13:43:30:

Problem now is the weather. Half a gale and driving rain here on the west Wales coast, and moe to come.sad

Yep, it's like October instead of July. I should be up the top of the slope in brilliant sunshine with puffy cumulus clouds riding from thermal to thermal, with huge power dives and aero's between. Keeping my fingers crossed for next weekend.

Our flying site is in England and is managed, though not owned. by a state organisation, one of the most environmentally damaging organisations in the entire UK.

It has lost interest in the coronavirus but has suddenly developed a great regard for 'rare' ground nesting birds, all of which are so UNrare that that they don't even warrant a conservation status, as they are merely locally uncommon, just like parakeets, humming birds, vultures, etc.

c81bd341-79ff-4357-9696-296046a8d415.jpegWe just applied the simple government hygiene and social distancing guidelines , allow only one member in clubhouse at any time, and maximum three on flight line. We also spaced out our flying tables . It has worked well.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 04/07/2020 09:25:12

Edited By Tim Flyer on 04/07/2020 09:28:31

Because of my wife's medical history and her shielding, I've not been flying since the lockdown. I've steered clear of supermarkets and local shops during busy times and we've generally kept ourselves to ourselves. A low risk to visit a flying field it's true, but after all the effort to minimise problems for my other half, it didn't make sense for me to go flying and take a chance for the sake of a few flights during the height of the infection. As far as I know, there's been no problems at either of my clubs and those that have been flying have managed OK with the few sensible rules to follow.  I'll resume next month when the sheilding ends. I hope to go to one of the Superbike races at Donnington later in the year - all outside so looking forward to that.

I don't know about club meetings and what's to be done with those. I'm not a regular pub user, so the relaxation of the restrictions today doesn't affect me - I'd not be happy to attend club meetings at a pub or hall for the time being, and I'll reserve judgement on club AGMs later in the year if they do go ahead depending on the virus situation. A while to go yet, so hopefully things will continue to get better.

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/07/2020 10:29:22

Members email me, I put them in the slot they booked. If it’s full, then it’s full. First come first served. Members are now used to the system. Max of 6 per slot 

Its easy to monitor and members can look on line to see what’s available

Edited By cymaz on 05/07/2020 14:24:48

I’m very lucky, I have permission to fly from a field on the farm where I have an industrial unit. No prepared strip and not suitable for anything large but since the BMFA relaxed the don’t fly rule I’ve got in some stick time on foamies.
I am missing the camaraderie and banter from the guys at the flying field though.

I’m very lucky, I have permission to fly from a field on the farm where I have an industrial unit. No prepared strip and not suitable for anything large but since the BMFA relaxed the don’t fly rule I’ve got in some stick time on foamies.
I am missing the camaraderie and banter from the guys at the flying field though.

If you're not all gathering together, do the 6 or 30 rules apply? We see it as club members exercising their right to fly in the open air as individuals in the same way that unlimited individuals or households can use parks or beaches if they respect the distancing guidelines. We're not organising meetings in any way although we've laid out the car park to encourage distancing and restricted clubhouse access to one at a time with sanitising rules to allow use of our solar charging facilities.

All our members know the score re Covid, they've heard all the bumf, they've been given the Government advice and the BMFAs advice, they've had sources of possible contamination removed and advice re the gate.

Meantime the pubs opened, and folk are doing what folk do with a drink down them, the 64 year old wife is now crowd control on pub/restaurant door.

Go fly folks (or not).

Posted by john stones 1 on 05/07/2020 17:40:57:

I like common sense, one of my favourite senses. wink

And one of the rarest...

Several of us have been flying under the (Wales) 5 mile 'general' rule (measured as a radius, per the guidelines).

Some I know have stretched this, on the grounds that they are travelling to a specific location, rather than travelling 5-miles plus just for the hell of it.

From 6 July our more far-flung members will be able to rejoin us! We are an exclusive Club, so meeting social distance requirements is not a problem.

We've replaced our post-session pub visits with a couple of bottles on the field, as we watch the sun go down...

Decided to bring  my period of incarceration to an end a little earlier than planned yesterday considering how things are progressing and enjoyed a fabulous full day's flying since packing up for the winter last October. No problems with social distancing - sensible precautions in place without a feeling of paranoia. A dozen flights, both IC and electric, plenty to catch up on with my buddies - no reports of anyone or their families succumbing to the virus, so all good news. yes

Edited By Cuban8 on 13/07/2020 10:10:42

Flying yesterday at club sitesmiley after relaxation of travel distance rules in Wales. With only about a dozen of us no problem with social distancing.

After a long winter and then the Covid time away there were some rusty pilots on site resulting in several whoopsies [ crosswind did not help ] I managed to rip the UC and bulk head from my Limbo as a result of dumb thumbs.blush

Went to our club field yesterday for the first real session since lockdown. Very disappointed with the way people were carrying on. Had to tell people twice to stay back from my space. One person having engine problems had a group of four people gathered around his model offering advice. We had agreed beforehand that we would all social distance and this completely went out the window. One or two members complied with what was agreed, apart from that it was a shambles.

I have been going to our field early in the mornings because my wife doesn't trust people to social distance from each other. Reading the above post, I think she might be right. If that's the only way to go flying then early mornings it is, less windy then anyway. If anyone else appears I am supposed to leave immediately, swearing on a stack of bibles almost came into it.

Posted by Richard Acland on 13/07/2020 19:31:50:

Went to our club field yesterday for the first real session since lockdown. Very disappointed with the way people were carrying on. Had to tell people twice to stay back from my space. One person having engine problems had a group of four people gathered around his model offering advice. We had agreed beforehand that we would all social distance and this completely went out the window. One or two members complied with what was agreed, apart from that it was a shambles.

That's a shame. My own observations have been that members at my club are generally respectful of distancing but there is the odd moment of forgetfulness - perhaps we're too used to helping each other?

In these circumstances, I'm sure a reminder delivered in a friendly manner shouldn't cause upset.