Swann Morton blades

Basil

I am certainly not trying to tell any one how to suck eggs or how clever I am, etc.

I personally will often buy an almost facsimile, if i believe that it is up to the job and the price is right. An example is my Aldi lion electric screwdriver, from memory about £30. For my needs, does what is wanted, if and when it breaks, it is a bin job. A Hilti or something similar would cost +£80, this what a trades man needs, used daily and replacement batteries could be worth buying.

In the case of a handle for scalpel blades, the argument is also similar, but the outcome is different. The P&P is probably more than the handle. The real thing is pretty much dirt cheap. To produce a facsimile corners have to be cut to make manufacture and the retail pricing acceptable.

Not all costly tools are worth paying for, my Dremel jigsaw cost a fortune, back then, the cheap items now available, are immeasurably better in action and even quality. I would not buy another.

Like many people I cock up.

Erf', I'm 100% with you on all 3 topics: inexpensive electric hand tools are generally ok for my unavoidable DIY jobs, I even have a Wolf hammer drill (mains powered!) that must be near 40 years old, Scalpel blades, and back in the day suture needles and hypodermic ditto started being imported from India, and most of the haemostats, forceps etc. that you'll see being sold at the shows are probably similarly sourced. We ( in my case the veterinary profession - so I no of wot I speke ) very quickly found that we wouldn't even want this stuff as a gift. As you say, the price differential between the genuine article for blades is such that, even at bulk buy prices, you're better spending the extra pennies. And, regarding the Dremel jigsaw - the less said the better.

Only aeromodellers could make two pages about choosing scalpel blades! However the advice is good as always .

i still recommend you buy the Swann Morton Retractaway handle for the 10A blades.....very little dearer than the standard holder but safer with no drawbacks. ( except perhaps in medical use )

I agree that tools that feel right are best -- however I wonder if Doc Marten has actually tried the Retractaway? The feel and balance is very similar to No3 handle and the weight is only slightly more, but there is a far better grip nearer to the blade if you use it like a pencil.

It's just personal choice though.

A Stanley knife with a brand new blade ( Sheffield made) is the knife of choice for thicker material where the blade fixing of the 10A scalpel would touch the wood.

26 and 10A do most things .Cant get on with the No 3 or 4 blade as keep cutting finger were the sharp bit goes under the handle . Most used handle is a fixed handle with a bulbous molded plastic grip, Not shown on the Swan Morton website.but was I believe a genuine Swan Morton handle . They now list a stainless steel version instead.

Same here ED = the handle with the bulbous moulded grip is my favoured knife for the bench as well and is definitely a genuine Swann Morton product. I also have the retractable knife that takes the #3 blades in my flight box. Years before I ever used a scaplel for modelling I've used many thousands of blades for draughting on film and indeed that was my introduction to Webbies - Steve's mum used to source my scalpel blades for me in boxes of 100 on a regular basis. Back in the 70's i was using Stanley and X-Acto knives and saws.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,--- what I am looking for is the Swan-Morton V blade which fits in the SELC balsa stripper. It is about 2 and 5/8 inches long and works a treat in the device. (70mm). It fits nicely although others can be made

to work. Selc sent me 3 spares earlier this year, but as I am working with some hard wood I was wanting to stock up. Any ideas for maybe a 12 pack?"-------------------------Bob

Hello,--- what I am looking for is the Swan-Morton V blade which fits in the SELC balsa stripper. It is about 2 and 5/8 inches long and works a treat in the device. (70mm). It fits nicely although others can be made

to work. Selc sent me 3 spares earlier this year, but as I am working with some hard wood I was wanting to stock up. Any ideas for maybe a 12 pack?"-------------------------Bob

How can we encourage young people to take up modelling when Expo put on their razor saw pack . Not to be sold to anyone under 18 yrs. . I was building models from the age of 6 using my dads Ever ready single edge razor blades. My friend's dad used Gillette double sided blades so he made a holder out of two 6" lengths of Meccano strip with the blade clamped between.

• 1 month later...

I was using a brass swan morton scalpel at 8, I know because I still have the scar on my foot where I dropped it and it stuck right in. Prior to this it was a double sided Gillette in some sort of metal clamp which left both edges exposed, and yes I usually cut myself. It seemed all part of growing up (like climbing and falling out of trees -how did we survive?)

Posted by robert chamberlain on 11/11/2020 07:33:06:

Do a search for swan Morton major should display a medical supplier I had no trouble getting a pack of fifty plus a major handle. The major series is for orthopedic surgery, if you can't find it I will post a link later

Posted by i12fly on 08/01/2021 10:02:56:

.... It seemed all part of growing up (like climbing and falling out of trees -how did we survive?)

Classic 'survivor bias' LOL.

"Not for sale to under 18's" means your Pa or Ma have to buy it for you, in the hope that you then use it with some degree of adult supervision. This should help to minimise the number of 8 year olds who drop scalpels on their feet. smiley

Natural instinct when you lose grip on something is to fumble for it. First rule of working with blades is DON'T FUMBLE! Second is get your feet out of the way, sharpish...

Posted by Mike T on 08/01/2021 12:36:55:
Posted by i12fly on 08/01/2021 10:02:56:

.... It seemed all part of growing up (like climbing and falling out of trees -how did we survive?)

Classic 'survivor bias' LOL.

"Not for sale to under 18's" means your Pa or Ma have to buy it for you, in the hope that you then use it with some degree of adult supervision. This should help to minimise the number of 8 year olds who drop scalpels on their feet. smiley

Natural instinct when you lose grip on something is to fumble for it. First rule of working with blades is DON'T FUMBLE! Second is get your feet out of the way, sharpish...

Should be of interest an on-topic - we had a nice presentation on Survivorship Bias in work some months ago, with this famous illustration.

Edited By leccyflyer on 08/01/2021 13:01:05

I'm pretty sure there have always been laws regarding the sale of knives, there certainly were when I was younger, adhesives are not to be sold to under 18 but it doesn't stop them assembling plastic kits. Just because you're not allowed to buy something doesn't prevent you from using it. There was a time when Air rifles couldn't be purchased by minors but could be used under supervision, under 18 cannot purchase alcohol but they can drink it at home under supervision from age 5!

A barrier to buying doesn't prevent participation.

Survivorship bias is interesting but..........did any child get killed or even suffer a serious disability from using craft knives for hobby use? I think it's the minor injuries that prevent further serious injuries! Hence playing with craft knifes and rotating props teaches more than playing with blunt plastic scissors would.