Swann Morton blades

Basil

I am a returnee from wayback and are reassebling a 'Tool kit' Can any body make some reccomendations about balde number selection please. I am using No 11 but they seem a bit small, they cut very well though. I suppose its about what you are trying to achieve. Thank you in advance Barry

Use 10A and shop around as the price varies a lot.

Get the Retractaway handle ( for 10A etc) as it's safer but just as rigid yet very little dearer. Again price varies a lot. Local art shops sell 10A and Retractaway.

I seem to be different.

I use a number 4 handle (primarily) with blades which have the number 26 stamped on the packet.

I expect that I am not alone in using a couple of Stanley knives, In addition i also use a snap of blade type. Both for heavier materials.

All my blades are of the straight edged pointed types.

I am surprised I appear to be different in this matter.

Mike T, sorry I missed your reference to No.26 and that of Leccyflyer.smiley

Gerhard, it is a pleasant surprise that you are back, on the site. I guess you have been to busy, with work, and so on.

I concur with the observation that buying a box is the most practical and economical way to purchase the blades. My box was purchased some years ago now, I still have possibly half the packets left. No running out due to breakage or dulled blade at the most inconvenient time.

Yes, box is best. You avoid the temptation to 'soldier on' with a sub-par blade. Like Erfolg I bought a 100 box about 10 years ago and am now down to my last few packets. I still use the blunted blades e.g. for sharpening brass tube or scraping the edges of props while balancing. Pristine blades are for balsa work (Stanley or snap-offs for ply) and film trimming.

Posted by Erfolg on 22/07/2020 12:05:05:

Mike T, sorry I missed your reference to No.26 and that of Leccyflyer.smiley

Gerhard, it is a pleasant surprise that you are back, on the site. I guess you have been to busy, with work, and so on.

I concur with the observation that buying a box is the most practical and economical way to purchase the blades. My box was purchased some years ago now, I still have possibly half the packets left. No running out due to breakage or dulled blade at the most inconvenient time.

I'm on the last few packets of blades that were shall we say 'liberated' from a firm that I worked at for a while. The owners sold the business and were OK with us taking useful odds and ends along as you didn't take the you know what. Haven't bought an X-acto or Swann-Morton blade in thirty years, except for razor saws. Probably another year's worth left and then will have to pay up. crying

I have an old leather belt that I strop the blades with - does get the edge back for a while.

I think the blades that "split" balsa were probably craft/hobby blades as opposed to surgical, the craft ( X-acto?) or the like are thicker and not as flexible as the Swann Moreton surgical blades we ( well I do anyway! ) use these days. The Swann Moreton blades are designed for cutting skin, muscle etc. etc. and not re-used, however we all know some surgical blades are stronger and/or keep their edges sharper and for longer than others. My own preferences is the 11 on the long thin No.7 handle which being long and thin allows it to be held like a biro so is perfect for detail work ( the blade is also extraordinarily strong and keeps sharp for longer than you would expect ), though some folk prefer a No.3 handle. For general balsa cutting I would use a 22 on a 4 handle ( don't ask ). One final point ( literally ) at work everyone was taught that an 11 blade on a handle was the most dangerous piece of equipment on the premises, if it fell vertically there was a strong possibility that it would go straight through any shoe leather in its path and deep into the foot inside!

Hi Basil, quick word of warning

Decided to give those 10A blades a try, but because my no3 handle has a no 11 blade in it, treated myself to a new handle.

Made the mistake of ordering a generic one rather than genuine Swan Morton.

That came this morning, and it's truly awful. Blade has to be forced in with a pair of pliers, and even then will not go in far enough to positively lock on the retainer.

Consequences of a blade sliding out while in use are not to be contemplated, from the safety point alone.

Needless to say, that one is going in the garbage, and a genuine SM one on order.

Might cost a few bob more, but worth it imho.

Jeff