Fournier RF-4

Well, said that man! We can all learn from our mistakes and from a personal point of view I get more critical of my own builds the more I do, nowt wrong with that. Just get it up in the air and take some photos ‘ videos of the maiden flight coz we all want to see it!

Another day and another wing.

Tricky edges covered as there is very little over lap remaining once the aileron is cut along the join. I did not do this on the first wing but just got away with it. 

Pencil line is to work to. I am determined to follow it this time, not usually a problem apart from the other wing which is a puzzle to me. Luckily I like puzzles. ? 

IMG_20210522_101157283_HDR.thumb.jpg.9f8be6cff1de4d9c7e25c2f66e6ef35f.jpg

I will be back later.

Cheers

1 minute ago, john stones 1 Moderator said:

Looking good Steve, nearly there. ?

Yes I am almost at the point of being able to answer the question, how much lead is required in the nose?

Tension is building, only in my mind. Not really just joking. ?

It's been an interesting build and now I know I can build a 12' split wing model!

I just need to find one that is less than 7.5 kg.

More jokes.. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

It's been an interesting build and now I know I can build a 12' split wing model!

I just need to find one that is less than 7.5 kg.

In the unlikely event that you want to go straight on to building another motor glider, my T61 from the Cliff Charlesworth plan spans a touch over 12’ and comes in well under the 7.5kg ?

http://www.bartonhewsons.uk/home/modelflying/scale/t61keydata.html

Trevor

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The plan was to fly it yesterday but stupidity on my part meant it did not happen.

As I had to buy replacement wing bolts and a wing servo I also bought my first pilot'

IMG_20210624_143100113.thumb.jpg.c8964321f4d91312d351c3f56b446ec2.jpg

A bit of a glazed look? Probably wondering what is to come, fear, dread maybe. 

Glue him in, fix the canopy and that just leaves the outriggers to finish. I will soon be on the flight line with a glazed expression to match the pilot. ?

I am thinking now that I should have bought the pilot with the red shirt.

I could not resist testing CofG, with a 3S 2200 some lead will be required ☹️, with 4S 2200 not lead ? and with 2x3S 2200 lead will be required ?? . I had planned for using 2x3S 2200 but had not expected the lead in the tail. Did I use too little glue or what? Obviously the built up tail and moving the batteries as far forward as possible has worked out well.

After Tuesdays catalogue of errors some thing had to work out for me. Ying and Yang? 

Chuffed? Yes and then some.

?

• Like 2

Looking very good.

I installed my pilot and then installed the canopy getting what I considered to be a perfect result, no scratches and no glue marks.  However, the pilot then decided to go walkabout, (or try to escape), so I had to strip it all out again!!  The resulting canopy is less than perfect, but passes the Peter Miller 50ft rule. (That's 15.24M for those of us in the EU!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fun Flyer said:

Looking very good.

I installed my pilot and then installed the canopy getting what I considered to be a perfect result, no scratches and no glue marks.  However, the pilot then decided to go walkabout, (or try to escape), so I had to strip it all out again!!  The resulting canopy is less than perfect, but passes the Peter Miller 50ft rule. (That's 15.24M for those of us in the EU!)

As well as gluing the pilot in, can you use a screw from underneath the cockpit for extra security ?