Nearly that time of year again... AGMs

Cuban8

The title refers to our clubs' AGMs and what usually is a scramble to pay subs etc.

With or without any further Covid restrictions and considering that AFAIK all clubs have suspended their usual indoor monthly or whatever meetings, it might be worth having a review of how best it might be to collect monies this year and give those that like to hand over their payments in person for whatever reason, time to change tack.

I have to say that as Membership Sec of my club, I've noticed a declining use of personal cheques and cash over to bank transfers which for me are far more convenient although not totally foolproof. I suppose 1/3 of the one hundred subs I take are in person by cheque or cash at the AGM but this will not be possible this year.

As a rough guess, I reckon for my club it's split equally between postal, bank transfer, and payment in person by cheque or cash.

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/09/2020 10:00:38

BACS club payments - Yes but our free bank account (Nat West) doesn't include online banking and the statement is quarterly. Therefore the treasurer could not be sure if someone had actually paid and so we wouldn't want to then pay the BMFA if they hadn't sad

Who offers free online banking for clubs? (Small club 20 members less than £2k turnover inc BMFA membership)

What about the other business of an AGM. Receiving officers reports. Committee election etc.

My club has suggested the committee continue for now as is. Subs can be paid electronicly and members sort out there own BMFA.

BUT a large proportion of our members are in their 80s or close to it, have little knowledge or interest in using PCs and have a mobile phone purely for phone calls - they like paying in cash and are used to the club sorting out the BMFA stuff for them.Getting them all sorted out with the "Drone Registration" was a task and a half, 

Edited By FlyinBrian on 12/09/2020 17:43:57

My club has suggested we use Zoom to conduct the AGM. On the face of it a good idea but I wonder if the Chairman will be able to cope with around 30 members all talking at once! My view would be that e-mail would be better for proposing new rules and election of officers and just use Zoom as a formality to present reports & thank the officers for their work etc.

Anybody actually had an AGM on Zoom? ( probably for some other type of club at this early time)

Edited By kc on 12/09/2020 18:58:11

You are right KC, large zoom meetings are very difficult to manage, and not recommended. All the participants

cannot possibly have a say comfortably.

A good idea for proposals and election is by email one week before, to give the Chairman a chance to read.

A good idea is for the existing committee to continue for the time being

Posted by kc on 14/09/2020 10:37:10:

Anybody else actually have experience of a Zoom AGM with over 25 members?

I have hosted zoom meetings with over 80 involved, also agm type meetings with over 30, it actually works very well as long as you establish your meeting protocols in advance.

The tools available in Zoom allow meetings to be managed quite easily.

We make each individual sort out their own BMFA membership. It makes life so much easier for us . A number of our members are affiliated to more than one club too, so it’s easier for them as well. We can still check all their details on the BMFA website as administrators . That is very useful. I don’t think a zoom meeting would work for our club as we have around 60 members plus many are not regular zoom users.

Our Secretary and Committee members did a straw poll up at field over a couple of weeks in July and pretty well everybody agreed that things were rolling along to their satisfaction - so the Committee and Officers continue as for the last year. As for next year we will all wait and see and, like most clubs, if absolutely necessary an Extraordinary General Meeting could be called.

Also, if our Secretary feels there is something we need to know about he'll send an email round immediately, no need to leave something of importance until the AGM.

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 15/09/2020 07:51:39:

Our Secretary and Committee members did a straw poll up at field over a couple of weeks in July and pretty well everybody agreed that things were rolling along to their satisfaction - so the Committee and Officers continue as for the last year. As for next year we will all wait and see and, like most clubs, if absolutely necessary an Extraordinary General Meeting could be called.

Also, if our Secretary feels there is something we need to know about he'll send an email round immediately, no need to leave something of importance until the AGM.

As Mr Punch often says....."that's the way to do it" yes

Issue all docs and reports by email. Ask for nominations by email. Thats probably the easiest way to do it. Anyone without a computer could have it all posted or relayed to them, as these days its rare anyway.

Or postpone AGM and have EGM when meetings can resume on assumption that all committee and members are happy.

As for subs

Bacs, posted cheques, cash at the field or at the home of the relevant club official in person.

As membership secretary, thats how I intend to do it.

Edited By Chris Berry on 15/09/2020 09:26:06

Edited By Chris Berry on 15/09/2020 09:27:09