New scam alert!

cymaz

Advert

David,

The reason for spoofing a different number each time they call someone is due to the websites like whocalledme.co.uk. The site for reporting suspicious phone numbers. It was originally set up so you could see what those callers were up to by the reports other people put on there. But now they use a different number each time so if you look it up on whocalledme.co.uk there are no records as they have never used that number before.

A.

I always just put the phone down if the caller is obviously just a recording rather than a real person (I sometimes do in the latter case, too). Just recently I've automated calls supposedly from Amazon and BT (my ISP as it happens). No idea what they were about as I replaced the receiver at only slightly under the speed of light

Geoff

Had a nice long call with an gentleman from India who insisted my internet was broken. He wanted me to turn on my PC to fix the issue but cant understand how that would work if my connection is broken. Should have kept him on the phone a bit longer but got fed up of asking him silly questions about the weather, Covid life in India etc. No surprise that they phoned me back not once but twice, I assume to make sure that I was ok as one can be very lonely without an internet connection. Still he must have done a good job fixing the issue as the internet seems fine now although a little slow but the connection does now have to go through a server in India.

I've had two very authentic looking emails supposedly from Paypal informing me that 'PSD2' secuity levels were being implemented and that I needed to click on a link to update my details. If I didn't respond my account would be closed blah blah blah. These were very polished and professional emails and only the link addresses gave them away. Off to [email protected] with them!

Just had an email which appears authentic from 'DPD' saying that they have tried to deliver a parcel but couldn't because no-one was in. That is possible we were out for about 2 hours today. I am expecting a parcel from Banggood CZ warehouse so in theory it could be correct. However there was no card through the door as you'd expect to see, also using the tracking no. from Banggood into DPD's correct tracking system shows the parcel still in Germany. Using the scammer's no. into DPD's tracking shows no trace of it. The link from the scammer starts www hetwolfje nl (I've left the dots out). It says that the 1st and 2nd deliveries are free but then says that a shipping fee must be paid.

At first look it seems really genuine, but.... These evil thieves really annoy me.

This dpd scam is getting really annoying but at least its easy to recognize that its a scam

As well as peculiar email sender  address where its from, they address you with your email address and not the name on the parcel they purport to be trying to deliver.

Edited By John Laird on 12/12/2020 20:50:02

Are these emails getting more obvious, or are we all just getting more canny?

Same thing with the 'spam' phone calls we get - the recorded messages nearly all have that special sound that saves you the trouble of having to listen to whole bloomin' shpeil before putting the handset down - two or three words and I've rung off. Alternatively, the caller with a sketchy command the English language who is incapable of pronouncing my name - same deal - disconnect within 15 seconds.

AND - vitally important - don't get riled, 'tinsn't worth it - well unless you'd just mixed 20 or 30 grams of 5minute epoxy. In which case 😡😡😡😡😡

My wife has told me that someone on FB has received a new bank card from Santandare, it looked authentic except for the fact it did not have the contactless logo on it. Their existing card had several months left until it expired. It carried all the activation details with it.

As it was not contactless they took it to their local branch so say it was of no use to her and could she have a new one. The branch staff informed them it was a fake.

Just imagine if the card had been activated your account would have been emptied in no time, not much in mine anyway, but beware.

Posted by Robert Parker on 13/12/2020 14:42:50:

My wife has told me that someone on FB has received a new bank card from Santandare, it looked authentic except for the fact it did not have the contactless logo on it. Their existing card had several months left until it expired. It carried all the activation details with it.

As it was not contactless they took it to their local branch so say it was of no use to her and could she have a new one. The branch staff informed them it was a fake.

Just imagine if the card had been activated your account would have been emptied in no time, not much in mine anyway, but beware.

yes

Another day, another text scam! Just had one saying:- 'Your FedEx package is due for delivery by 17/12. To reschedule, go to (internet link) before 23.59, To opt out, reply STOP'

Sorry, just had to edit this - Since when has Sarik Hobbies started using FedEx? Maybe all the scam texts I am getting is making me a bit paranoid! Still, can't be too careful people. blush

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/12/2020 06:28:52