New scam alert!

cymaz

This has just come through, very convincing BUT it’s not from Norton. I went into my account and there are no pending messages. There is an update 10.14.4 for MAC  NOT iOS. I MAY BE MISTAKEN....but I’m not chancing it so it’s deleted

4739d2f5-8b3a-48c5-91ca-691ffdc9db74.jpeg

af540cdf-e6f4-43ef-a714-a5626eaef34b.jpeg

Edited By cymaz on 28/01/2021 21:52:59

Advert

I used Norton about 2 (3?) decades ago and then AVG. For the last decade no virus checker so no slowing of the boot up time. Safe? Totally.

The worst viruses were written during 2018. They were written by Microsoft (called Updates) and eventually in October of that year, Microsoft's virus (Update) wiped everything from my partner's computer.

She doesn't use a virus checker now either.

Linux seems to be the best and most reliable virus blocker.

Another Linux Mint installation went out the door an hour ago so there should be another happy computer user. A couple of dozen done in the past year.

Some of these scammers are quick off the mark. My other half just registered a new sim card phone account this evening with giffgaff. 30mins later she got a phone text apparently from giffgaff telling her she must log in using the link provided in the text and recheck her details as her account had been restricted. We knew something was off as the web address looked a little different from the giffgaff web page on my PC. It read 'www.giff.gaff.uk.com' instead of 'www.giffgaff.com' We logged on again on my PC on the genuine giffgaff 'help' page, and yes it's a scam to get your bank details. Why she got the fake text /link so shortly just after newly registering I don't know, maybe just coincidence, ....... but take care, it goes to show there's always someone out to rob the unwary !

I had Norton for years on my old Vista Laptop, Since I never use it on line I cancelled it. It took quite a while for that laptop to speed up again.

I don't use my Windows 10 laptop a lot and rely on the built in protection.

I use my chromebook for almost all my internmet use as that is pretty well protected.

• 3 weeks later...

Had an email from "Royal Group" yesterday, complete with Royal Mail logo.

It informed me that they had been unable to deliver a parcel because I was out and included a link for "Redelivery your Parcel" (the clue is in the words). I cautiously checked the link and it lead to another convincing looking website asking me to pay a £3 fee to arrange redelivery and warning me that the parcel would be returned to sender if I did not pay.

Coincidentally, I was out at the time of the email and I was expecting a parcel, but even so the spelling, the request for £3 fee, and the email address it came from were all warning enough to ignore it, but I can see how some might have been taken in.

My parcel arrived this morning without any additional fees ?

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Recently purchased an item on ebay and the same day I received two emails from easyreturns@ebay saying I could use this service if I needed to return the item.  To add some authenticity the mail detailed the items and monies paid. As it turned out after receiving the items I now have need to send the item back.

Therefore used the link provided in the mail to print a return label from Hermes. However I note the return address is for a Galleon House in Stockport which is not the address the item used for the original sender of the item.

Is this some form of scam?

On 29/01/2021 at 00:17, Alex Ferguson 2 said:

Linux seems to be the best and most reliable virus blocker.

Another Linux Mint installation went out the door an hour ago so there should be another happy computer user. A couple of dozen done in the past year.

I tried to download Linux a few times last year but after waiting an hour to go through the complete install it keeps giving me an error of a missing .dll file and reversing the changes it made.

It's very easy to spoof a number that the caller is using. I have seen plenty that don't even exist as proved by looking up the area code.

Why this practice can't be stamped out by the service providers, I don't know.

My current method of dealing with these calls it to hang on the line until their end drops out. This hopefully stops at least one other call being made until they give up.

2 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

It's very easy to spoof a number that the caller is using. I have seen plenty that don't even exist as proved by looking up the area code.

Why this practice can't be stamped out by the service providers, I don't know.

My current method of dealing with these calls it to hang on the line until their end drops out. This hopefully stops at least one other call being made until they give up.

The why is simple, line providers say they provide the line, what users do is not their problem. There is no urgency from lawmakers, to make it their problem. (For the last 35 years).
So, if you persistently pester someone on the phone, that’s criminal. Pester 10’s of thousand people once or twice, not a problem. Try a criminal deception, very much in your court squire, we make a few coppers in the deal, and we are not involved.

Bit like the getaway driver saying he was practicing for the driving test. But getting away with the explanation.

On 01/03/2021 at 23:22, Phil McCavity said:

I tried to download Linux a few times last year but after waiting an hour to go through the complete install it keeps giving me an error of a missing .dll file and reversing the changes it made.

Down load a Linux Mint .iso file. I recommend using Mint. Burn (note burn not copy) it to a USB stick. Make sure your computer's BIOS is in Legacy, not UEFI (usually this is needed). Have the USB as first boot item, HD or SSD second. Boot up and you should have it running. One of the icons will be Install. Just go through the steps and it will take about 8 - 10 minutes for a total install.

There are no .dll files, ever.

HOWEVER !!!! getting into some BIOSs isn't always easy or logical. The most recent one I had, boot up in Windows, hold the OFF/ON button for more than 5 seconds as it closes down (best count to 10). Press the ON switch while holding F2 down as it boots up again.

And No, it isn't always F2, could be ESC or F9 or F10 or F12, all depending on the manufacturer and model.

Anyone with a specific problem or wanting the next steps in installation, I've probably come across it or done it and I presume this forum has an email a question option.

A huge thanks for this Alex, next time I decide to do it I shall follow your instructions and let you know.

I would give you a 'Like' but it's so impersonal and Facebooky, an actual written reply is much more polite and appreciated and is more likely to encourage helpful responses.

Thanks again?

This is a new one on me. Received an email this morning, purporting to be from  DVLA. Apart from the suspect addresses, I taxed my vehicle online & have an email confirming it ?

Sent: 17 March 2021 09:27
To: steve.curry <com>
Subject: The current tax status of your vehicle - Untaxed ID: 06710

Second notice for - 

Your vehicle status is showing in our system as untaxed. 
It appears that some of the billing details associated with 
you might have expired or were otherwise changed.

Please note: If you don't pay your vehicle tax on time 
you can be fined up to £1000, or your details passed 
to a debt collection agency.

You need:

~ the vehicle's registration number

From Government Gateway --i5uuBU1--

All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0, 
except where otherwise stated 
--i5uuBU1  

Edited by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator
Edited to remove link...