New scam alert!

cymaz

2W I am glad that I am not the pnly one nearly taken in by it and that you agree that it is an amazing website. I only use a normal phone with no wistles and bells. IT was ony after I had pressed the button that I realised that normally they don't want the 3 numbers n the back.

Alex I use Paypal when I can. I never give details to phone calls etc.

One very worrying thing, When filling it in the card number was already there. They must have hacked it from somewhere else.

I have always been cautious but now I won't even trust my own emails!!!

I also had the " Google has selected you to take part and win an Iphone " message whilst on the Modelflying forum. Seemed genuine and I progressed through and eventually "won" the prize but of course I wasnt going to pay anything by credit card to get a prize. Close examination of the screen showed tiny print saying you will be billed £49 to your credit card until cancelled for this opportunity to take part in this contest! Barely visible print even on a large monitor. It all looked genuine at first.

My recollection is this scam came up whilst looking at the first mention last week of the forthcoming Modelflying Advent Prize draw. Did anyone else get that scam whilst on that Modelflying item?

Edited By kc on 01/12/2020 12:13:01

Yes you were lucky! I think it said £49 each month! It might take more than the first month before anyone realised a payment was taken and so they probably get 2 payments. It seems likely it would just be signing up to a phone contract and they would claim it was not a scam when caught.

Actually i noticed that the website changed names once I had 'won' the prize. At that point the prize was only a £500 phone not the £1000 phone promised on the first page. Both had wwws ( secure) prefixes and looked quite genuine except for the tiny print on the second page.

My initial thought was that I had a forum PM it also mentioned £1000.

I was suspicious.

They are Google ads and I am wondering if they should be there at all.

I followed another one which took me to a very poor looking page about being paid for surveys.

I was even more suspicious.

What relevance do these ads have to this forum and should they be there?

thinking

Steve

Posted by Peter Miller on 02/12/2020 21:00:53:

From what my bank said they are Pop Ups that are somehow linked to the website.

David Ashby said that their IC man will be investigating.

Very nasty but I only lost £1.

My bank has details of them and will be watching out for them and I have aa new card on its way

Peter, Tech response is.....do you recall whether you had any other sites open on your browser at the time?

Do you have any anti Malware software running? 

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 04/12/2020 13:28:32

No, I only had the Model Flying Forum up at the time.It is very rare for me to have more than one website up at a time.

I am using a Chromebook which has its own anti virus software.

Other people saw that same thing while on the Model Fying Forum and nearly got caught too

Edited By Peter Miller on 04/12/2020 13:46:29

My wife had one of the frequent calls about problems with her Windows computer. She said hers was a Mac and got an apology. Some time later a similar voice called and I answered the phone this time. The caller claimed to be from Apple Mac and had evidence that my Mac had been severely compromised. I told him that I didn't have a Mac to which he replied that he had the details of the machine registered to me and that my wife had asked him to call me.

In the past saying one had a Mac always made these callers hang up so it would seem that they are changing their tactics to try to gain access to computers whatever type they are.

Malcolm

I had exactly the same thing as EarlyBird, I went onto the Dec/Jan page. Thought it was a Forum message so opened the message and it said I would be entered into a draw for a Samsung S20 phone if I completed a survey. I don't do surveys (only do the RCM&E polls) also I've just had a new phone so went no further.

I had yet another phone call about my washing machine guarentee. Considering that it was bough getting on for twenty years ago I was NOT amused.

The caller was even less amused when I told him he was a pillock!!!

He said that he was only going by what came up on his screen.

He was even less amused when I told him that his company must be totally rubbish

l12fly, I came close to being scammed by a similar scam, some 3 to 4 years back.

I received an Email purporting from I think Asda. As one of their valued customers, would I help them by completing a short survey, with a the possibility of winning a MP3 player.

I took and complete the survey. I was also lucky enough to win a MP3 player. All I had to do was provide my details. Right at the end of the process I was informed all I had to was to pay for the P&P. At this point I lost interest.

I then received a Email telling me I had to provide my card details. This was followed by more intimidating Emails that I was contractually obliged to provide the details demanded. Following Emails informed me that I would be prosecuted for breach of contract.

At this point I went to the police, where a fraud department informed me to send a Email stating that I was terminating any contract that they thought I had with them under some distance selling legislation. I them received more Emails telling me I was being taken to court, unless I immediately compiled with their demand. The police told me that I would have to attend any official court. As non attendance would have a judgement made against me.By now the police knew where and who the company were, based in Birmingham. I was informed that I should not inform the company that the police were involved. I sent another Email stating that no contract existed between us, any contract that they believed there was being dissolved.

I should add that contacting the Supermarket the survey had nothing to do with them. WHAT A SURPRISE.

I finally received an Email acknowledging that no contract existed.

At this point I was given a police case/crime number and told that the case was solved. To be fair, the police help was very useful.

It appears that the company, was imposing an obligation to purchase a certain number of purchases via the conditions of trading tick box, Thankfully they never got my details, nor had I got to the tick box..

Edited By Erfolg on 04/12/2020 23:19:47

Posted by i12fly on 04/12/2020 20:33:50:

I had exactly the same thing as EarlyBird, I went onto the Dec/Jan page. Thought it was a Forum message so opened the message and it said I would be entered into a draw for a Samsung S20 phone if I completed a survey. I don't do surveys (only do the RCM&E polls) also I've just had a new phone so went no further.

These are Google ads most of which are high quality, AA for example, I was suspiciuos due to the poor quality of the page I was linked to.

My conclusion is that the scammers have infiltrated Google ads. Can this be true and if so can these dangerous ads be stopped on the forum?