Get it off your chest.

kevin b

Having read through many threads and found that eventually somebody has to "go off on one" (we've all done it !) I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread specifically for those of a certain persuasion to vent their spleen. Of course within forum guidelines. It also gives the mods somewhere else to move posts that are going off topic in a negative manner.

For example. What did the Romans ever do for us ?

If somebody started a TV channel that promised never to say " coming up later" or chop the programme into bits, showed films with the titles intact so one could see who the performers were, only showed programmes with sound quality that didn't need subtitles to know what was said, didnt have uneducated yokels for announcers and didn't pay so called stars large chunks of our money ...... we might be happy to watch it and might even be persuaded a licnce fee was worth paying.

Edited By kc on 22/10/2020 17:00:52

Since they figured out you would need to pay more attention to the ads, if you had to watch it to work out whether it was still the ad break, or the start of the next bit of the programme.

I can't stand watching live TV for that reason. It's much nicer to use a recorder's pause function to hold off for fifteen minutes at the start of an hour programme, or just record it and watch later...

"Ageist TV adverts. You would think that no-one over 25 ever bought an iPhone. Another thing is car adverts. They always show a car full of young hipster types driving at speed around a deserted city while laughing their heads off. More examples might come to mind."

Car adverts have become progressively more stupid over time. Maybe I'm drifting out of the target demographic (he says, driving a 17 year old Honda).

Edited By Nigel R on 22/10/2020 17:13:42

Do you remember the time when there were only 3 channels on TV yet there was always something worthwhile to watch every evening when you sat down at 8pm? Not only that but all your friends and workmates had watched it too and there was something to discuss!

Actually those of us who are really old can remember when the second TV channel became available and you could tell who could receive it by those funny little extra aerials. Those were the days when TV stopped at 7pm and restarted at 8pm to give you time to have dinner........or make your model aircraft.

My pet hate is the way that the music drowns out the presenter talking in documentary programs and the characters in films

I don't want to strain of trying to hear what Professor Brian Cox is talking about when he is talking about the stars or planets.

This also applies to films. I just bought the DVD of the latest Star Wars film. I couldn't hear what the cast were saying. To be honest the while film was a mess and I had no idea what was doing what or where.

People adding 'gate' onto the end of every scandal.

News presenters and reporters trying to extract a 'soundbite' rather than actually listening to the interviewee.

'Scratch built from the xyz kit' If it is from a kit or a plan, it isn't scratch built.

Americanisms

"So" is not an opening for a sentence

Dumbing down and trying to make documentaries "exciting" with random angles, over loud music and a complete lack of information.

Checkout operators and others, especially in post offices and council offices, more interested in gossiping with their colleague than serving the customer.

Pretentious coffee shops where it takes 10 minutes to explain that you really do just want a normal cup of coffee, which is usually awful and costs £5.75

Restaurants which can't cook a steak after asking how I want it cooked.

The complete lack of manners and courtesy which some people seem to exhibit. Dropping litter, swearing and shouting loudly in restaurants, treating shop staff with disdain etc.

'Is everything ok for you?' seven times during a meal

It's a long list. I am a grumpy old man.

Program reprise after every break padding out the allotted time and saving the producer actually providing 30 minutes of content.

Computer applications constantly being enhanced to the point that basic tasks become hidden in the numerous options or just removed as being beneath contempt (you want to write letters without using a template - NOOOO!).