Get it off your chest.

kevin b

Advert

People who generalise, most of our armed forces are under 45, Snowflakes they ain't, most of those out grafting, keeping us all going are under 45, snowflakes ?

Overpopulation ? Elephants in the room ? Most of the excesses carried out by our species, are carried out by a small percentage, reduce the population will solve little unless we remove those who's greed is doing the damage, how you like that analogy ?

It ain't my fault Guv, It's those Poor folk, they breed like flies ? You are wrong, but It is an often quoted untruth.

A family of 8, small home 1 car, can't afford holidays, eat to live, no dining out, use as little energy as their money will allow.

A family of 4, wealthy 4 cars, motorbike, big house, lights/heating on all day, holidays aplenty etc, etc, etc.

Who's doing the damage, the Elephant is a smoke screen, a fraud, a lie.

Posted by john stones 1 on 23/10/2020 11:47:17:

A family of 8, small home 1 car, can't afford holidays, eat to live, no dining out, use as little energy as their money will allow.

A family of 4, wealthy 4 cars, motorbike, big house, lights/heating on all day, holidays aplenty etc, etc, etc.

In the short term, the family of 4, in the long term, the family of 8 unless they forgo having children and do not aspire to being wealthy.

In the short term, the family of 4, in the long term, the family of 8 unless they forgo having children and do not aspire to being wealthy.

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 23/10/2020 12:15:18:

In the short term, the family of 4, in the long term, the family of 8 unless they forgo having children and do not aspire to being wealthy

Did you just say Wealth is a cause ? Looks like it. Next you'll be saying the wealthy developed Countries, are creating the problem and pointing their finger at others.

Posted by Doc Marten on 23/10/2020 11:10:35:
Posted by Richard Acland on 23/10/2020 10:18:46:

Anyone who refers to my wife and myself as " You Guys"

I do it often on forums and when trying to attract the attention of groups because its a neutral term to address the audience.

How can Guys be a neutral term. A woman is not a guy.

Can I just point out that at no point did I blame "the poor" for the problem.

The earth has a finite carrying capacity for both human and other life.

The more the human population consumes, the bigger the problem. By consume, I include use of energy, materials food and land.

Human consumption depends upon both the world population and lifestyle.

If everyone currently alive had a western European lifestyle (which they do not) we would require 3 earths to fulfil demand.

If everyone had a North American lifestyle we would require approx. 5 earths to fulfil demand.

It is perfectly reasonable for anyone to have (or aspire to) a reasonable lifestyle.

In which case, the human population is limited by the lifestyle defined as "reasonable", the "better" the lifestyle, the fewer the people sustainable.

Many years ago, my daughter complained that "life isn't fair" to which I replied that she should be grateful, if life was fair we would be living in a small wooden house with a few acres of land to grow our food on, it made her think.

Posted by Doc Marten on 23/10/2020 13:16:45:
Posted by Richard Acland on 23/10/2020 12:42:54:
Posted by Doc Marten on 23/10/2020 11:10:35:

I do it often on forums and when trying to attract the attention of groups because its a neutral term to address the audience.

How can Guys be a neutral term. A woman is not a guy.

Words change their meaning.

It's accepted and adopted as a neutral term by unions, local government and authorities, the standard bearers of PC.

Edited By Doc Marten on 23/10/2020 13:17:19

To me it is an Americanism that has crept into our language and although it may be accepted by standard bearers of PC it has not been accepted by me. I guess that we will have to agree to differ on this one.

Drivers that ignore mini roundabouts, either bumping over the centre when turning right at speed or worse still, effectively going round it the wrong way by turning right before the hump or painted circle. They still expect others to give way of course. Drivers of large or long vehicles might not physically be able to maneouvre their vehicle as to follow the rules, and that can be accepted if carried out slowly and with care, but sheer laziness by cars and van drivers is becoming more common.

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/10/2020 13:46:58

Posted by Peter Miller on 23/10/2020 11:09:31:

I have been saying for some time that the real problem is overpopulation.

Possibly the Covid 19 pandemic is the worlds first attempt at reducing population!!

Not too successful, world. Try again World!!!

Peter - Have you read a book called 'Portent' by James Herbert?

I did a lot of stuff about Lovelock and Arne Naess. It's interesting if you view the Earth as an organism in its own right. Are the things we see, the pandemics, floods, fires etc the 'immune system' of the planet simply trying to fight off an infection (us)?

Whatever the case, the planet clearly cannot support a perpetually increasing population without some regulatory effect happening that we can't avoid. If it's not Covid, it'll be something else. War, famine, exploitation, disease, violence. All symptoms of over population. Rats in a barrel.

I've read some of George Lovelocks 'Gaia hypothesis' stuff and I find it naive, unscientific and even quasi-religious.
For me he extrapolates way beyond fact into pseudo-science and cherry-picks his evidence. Then again he has raised awareness of our delicate situation which is a Good Thing but for me its largely fairytales.
Just my Humbrol opinion™...  wink

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 23/10/2020 15:14:06

Posted by Cuban8 on 23/10/2020 13:45:52:

Drivers that ignore mini roundabouts, either bumping over the centre when turning right at speed or worse still, effectively going round it the wrong way by turning right before the hump or painted circle. They still expect others to give way of course. Drivers of large or long vehicles might not physically be able to maneouvre their vehicle as to follow the rules, and that can be accepted if carried out slowly and with care, but sheer laziness by cars and van drivers is becoming more common.

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/10/2020 13:46:58

There's one near me on a former T junction where the vast majority of people (how about that word as an alternative to "guys"?) habitually drive over it - or in some cases completely to the right of it when going straight on! As far as I'm aware, it's actually an offence to do either but it's rarely enforced.

What amuses me is that if I take it properly, 9 times out of 10 the following traffic then makes an attempt to do so too!

Local habits seem to have a big influence and some years ago I was struck (very nearly literally) by the way drivers in Hemel Hempstead would turn right before the white circle on mini roundabouts. In the example eluded to in the previous sentence, I was given a very dirty look when I assumed that roundabout rules applied and subsequent experience confirmed this was far from an isolated occurrence. Perhaps it's something to do with their familiarity with the "magic roundabout" near the town centre?

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/10/2020 15:54:59

The limits to growth was published 48 years ago on behalf of The Club of Rome

Its predictions of where would be at today are uncomfortably close.

The availability of fresh water will limit human [ and other ] life in many parts of the world [ Just today America and Mexico are squabbling over how much is taken from the Rio Grand for irrigation ect ] No water no life.

Posted by J D 8 on 23/10/2020 16:01:03:

The limits to growth was published 48 years ago on behalf of The Club of Rome

Its predictions of where would be at today are uncomfortably close.

The availability of fresh water will limit human [ and other ] life in many parts of the world [ Just today America and Mexico are squabbling over how much is taken from the Rio Grand for irrigation ect ] No water no life.

Indeed, disputes over fresh water, rights to fisheries, illegal logging, migration, adverse weather, changing patterns of crop diseases, these are all things my children have to look forward to sad