Why is epoxy like mustard?

... because the manufacturers profit comes from what's thrown away (as it was always said about Colemans mustard and it's why I always eat all mine

It's just that I've been using JB Kwik weld to glue in split cotters to use as anchor points for the rigging on my Sopwith Pup. At times I only actually use half (if that) of the epoxy I mix and it goes off so quickly (6 minutes to set 4 to 6 hours to cure) there's never time to find a use for the excess.

Is it just me or is everyone afraid of running out and so mixes too much?

Geoff

Personally I tend to mix excess epoxy and then run round trying to find any other little jobs that need a little dab of epoxy. I think it's important though to mix enough to get that 50:50 ratio correct and avoid the never-set demons. If you don;t have any little jobs that need that little bit of epoxy, you can make a lovely filler with some microballoons, which increases the possible range of little jobs for that excess epoxy.

Throw away !!!

I am always careful to try and mix the correct amount for the job and usually have other "little jobs" around to use any excess on. It's amazing what you can find that needs fixing ! As has been said, it only takes a few seconds if you need to mix any more.

There again I am a Yorkshireman. wink 2

Like leccyflyer I tend to mix more than I need because I've got a better chance of getting something near the correct 50:50 ratio that way. Even using the two-joined-syringe dispensers, I find that both nozzles never seem to start or stop at exactly the same time, so getting equal quantities of a tiny amount is very unlikely.

I must confess, when I started this thread it wasn't a 100% serious post., though the similarity between epoxy and the mustard profit theory has occurred to me before when I've had to discard unused adhesive.

I do use some fairly accurate (well perhaps not accurate but with 1 gm resolution - not the same thing) to weigh larger quantites of epoxy - mostly WEST, the idea of weighing adhesive seems a bit OTT. The 50:50 mix doesn't seem to be super-critical and I've never had any fail to set.

I've noticed the De-luxe Materials 4 and 60 minute Speed Epoxy I use only seems to differ in the hardener used. The adhesive bottles aren't identified as either 4 or 60 minute, only the hardener.is. Anyone know if that's the case? ie is it only the hardener composition that determines the setting time?

Geoff

I've certainly never weighed adhesive Geoff - I just put a semicircle of resin on a plastic surface and add a same sized semicircle of hardener in contact with it - ending up with a complete circle of epoxy, which is then thoroughly stirred, with a lolly ice stick, in both directions, until it is completely mixed, ready for use.

I always mix by eye and have never had any problem but some laminating epoxies are supposed to be more critical. I don't know how much of this is coloured by having learnt this from repairers of full sized aircraft structures who took pains to measure extremely accurately so it could be as much to do with compliance and repeatable results than achieving acceptable results for general purpose use.

I have a couple of identical small diameter polythene bottles which I use for laminating epoxy on my models - placing them side by side and squeezing resin and hardener into them to the same height from the storage bottles before mixing in a paper cup seems to work well.

A laminating resin I have used has different mix ratios depending whether you are doing it by volume or weight, so beware the densities of the hardener and adhesive may be different. This particular resin is sold with a choice of fast or slow hardener so it is only this that determines the speed.

A.

Edited By Andy Stephenson on 01/01/2021 14:14:42

Posted by leccyflyer on 01/01/2021 11:36:24:

I've certainly never weighed adhesive Geoff - I just put a semicircle of resin on a plastic surface and add a same sized semicircle of hardener in contact with it - ending up with a complete circle of epoxy, which is then thoroughly stirred, with a lolly ice stick, in both directions, until it is completely mixed, ready for use.

That's OK for adhesives but resin like WEST is a liquid, a fairly viscous one but still sufficiently liquid for it to be mixed in a container (I use old cardboard yoghurt pots that are gradually filling with hardened epoxy and the scales offset the nett weight). So they are the ones I mix by weight - 5:1 for WEST, I think.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff S on 01/01/2021 17:35:53:
Posted by leccyflyer on 01/01/2021 11:36:24:

That's OK for adhesives but resin like WEST is a liquid, a fairly viscous one but still sufficiently liquid for it to be mixed in a container (I use old cardboard yoghurt pots that are gradually filling with hardened epoxy and the scales offset the nett weight). So they are the ones I mix by weight - 5:1 for WEST, I think.

Geoff

Aye, but that's not adhesive, is it? It's a finishing resin.

Well it's used to stick dinghies together, which is where I first came across it, though with a bit of filler (glass spheres, carbon etc). I used it like that to build my 1 metre model racing yacht and to deck a 12'6" racing dinghy. It also sticks the 4mm ply disc that holds both the dummy engime and the 1.2kg of lead (with screws into the wood) in the aluminium cowl of my Sopwith Pup.

But you're right, it's not an adhesive in the more usual definition despite being somewht sticky.

Geoff