Servo going crazy

Lee Morton

**LINK**

Hi again all. So had a bit of a bad crash on my carbon cub. Got everything repaired, the servos were going and had to replace them. Got myself a servo tester just to be sure and have installed 2 new ones. I’ll try attach a video but whenever I power on, the plane normally moves the elevators and rudder then settles. However the rudder is being moved back and forth fully in a quick manner as if it’s almost like it cannot stabilise itself. Any ideas how I could fix this or what would be causing the issues? Thanks in advance!

Advert

Posted by Rich Griff on 28/01/2021 20:57:44:

Sorry this modern electric fly is all new to me.

Is there an idiot's guide to all this on here please ?

Servos need a good level of voltage to maintain the centre

Just to hold still at neutral.

When servos jitter, it is a sign of low voltage or a poor connection.

As the lads suggested at 1st post.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 28/01/2021 21:07:47

Posted by Rich Griff on 28/01/2021 20:57:44:

Sorry this modern electric fly is all new to me.

Is there an idiot's guide to all this on here please ?

There's a lot of information here. You can always Google (say) elelctric flight for beginners and probably find a wealth of information on the web, too.

Not sure how much you need. It helps if you have some knowledge of simple elecrical DC theory like Ohm's Law. My dad explained Ohm's Law to me on a car journey one evening from Slegness home to Nottingham when I was about 12 so It's in my DNA as they say unscientifically

Geoff

I find this is not uncommon with digital servos, especially if the transmitter is too close to the model, or indoors where the signal can bounce around a room.

Suggest you try restraining the model outside if possible, and then move the transmitter several feet away from the model. If the jittering doesn't stop, you may have to replace the rudder servo.

Lee,

I've had trouble with servos going mad/not working before. My problem was that the Rx I used (Spektrum AR8000) was not able to supply sufficient current to drive said servo. I installed a simple current amplifier and problem solved. Spektrum do a similar amp in a lead.

**LINK**

Don't know if it's still available but I've attached the circuit that I used to make my own amp.

servo single amp driver.jpg

Hope this is of some help. I did find a website that offered a range of such devices so it seems to be a problem that many people have. Unfortunately, I can't remember its name!!

Cheers,

Nik

Posted by Alan Hilton on 29/01/2021 09:29:07:

Try another servo in the rudder channel if it’s behaving normally the original servo is knackered so bin it if it does the same then the receiver or the rudder channel on the transmitter is duff

Alan

Edited By Alan Hilton on 29/01/2021 09:31:01

As Alan says

Plug your aileron servo into the rudder channel to see if they do the same

Just a thought - I don't know your model or its radio but have you replaced the servos like for like? Could they be analogue where the originals were digital? A faster frame rate than the new servos can handle might well explain the behaviour.

Supply voltage shouldn't be an issue with a part discharged flight battery but there is the possibility that the voltage regulator (BEC) built in to the ESC has gone faulty. Do you have access to a multimeter to check the supply voltage (normally 5v but maybe 6v) - usually the red and brown or red and black wires, depending on the wire used by the manufacturer, from the ESC?

Looks to me that the servo in question is actually being commanded to move in the way it is - can't be certain but duff servos I've had in the past have oscillated very violently over a much smaller angle and buzzed loudly. - much more so that what we see here. Odd that the other servos are OK. As has been said, substitute the servo for another to eliminate it (try it on a servo tester as a double check) and if the problem still persists I wonder if the problem could be with the stabilization system? A crash was mentioned so maybe a nasty has occurred to the flight controller that I believe these models are equipped with. Try a bog standard RX without all the clever SAFE stuff and see what happens.

BTW don't even think of flying it again until a definite cause that is repeatable has been found. If the fault 'just goes away on its own' that's even worse.

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the mystery.

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/02/2021 15:00:54