DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

10 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

A modeller has been in touch he is restoring a DBS&S Auster and is struggling to find Vivak in .5mm anybody know of a source in the UK, I guess as Richard puts it in the kits he must have it?

Hi Danny, I bought mine from a company called Eileen’s Emporium, they supply a lot of materials for model railway builders and architectural modellers.

Mine came from an exhibition a couple of years ago but they have it listed on their website as clear PETG sheet, including 0.5mm thickness.

https://www.eileensemporium.com/materials-for-modellers/category/eileens-clear-styrene-petg-sheet

Lots of other goodies on the site too.

Brian.

• Like 1

I use R/C Modeller’s Glue from Deluxe Materials for fixing windows to balsa and ply.

I don’t recall ever having glued clear sheet to glass fibre but the same adhesive should work here too.

https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/r-c-modellers-canopy-glue

Vivak is a brand name for PETG from one particular manufacturer. Others are no doubt available. That supplied by Eileen’s mentioned previously was branded Vivak on the light blue peel-off protective coating.

Brian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RottenRow said:

Hi Danny, I bought mine from a company called Eileen’s Emporium, they supply a lot of materials for model railway builders and architectural modellers.

Mine came from an exhibition a couple of years ago but they have it listed on their website as clear PETG sheet, including 0.5mm thickness.

https://www.eileensemporium.com/materials-for-modellers/category/eileens-clear-styrene-petg-sheet

Lots of other goodies on the site too.

Brian.

Hi Brian, unfortunately I need a sheet 31cm wide, they don't go that big sadly

But thanks anyway

Cheers

Danny

Hi Chaps sorry for the slow response, been prepping batteries for an indoor session tomorrow, prepping for the Scale Indoor Nats in April.

As others have said Deluxe materials RC Modellers glue, or Pacer formula 560 should work with any surface. It's what I have always used, takes forever to dry, and leaves a very slight gummy bond, allows for flex.

Vivak does seem to be quite special if you can get it. I have used other PETG and maybe I will have to see if I can find something else.

Thanks again for the help

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

Got an email from Richard at DBS&S they sell sheets of .5mm

Product information

PETG Clear Plastic Sheet.  PETG has properties which make it excellent for use in demanding applications such as shielding and displays.

0.5  mm     333x400mm
1.00 mm    330x457mm
  • Impact resistant
  • Weather resistant
  • Does not snap or crack
  • Resistant to chemicals
  • Has Protective film on both sides

about a fiver plus post

Cheers

Danny 

Hi Danny, your comments about lack of banter and general forum participation have certainly caused a stir - so you can count that a success! I was on the Fury build and did complete the model, although to nothing like your standard. Sorry to say that it came to an end on maiden down to pilot error...! Just to reassure you that I am following you closely on the Auster build, but someway behind. Please keep up the extremely good work - it's much appreciated.

Richard

7 minutes ago, Richard Mallam. said:

Hi Danny, your comments about lack of banter and general forum participation have certainly caused a stir - so you can count that a success! I was on the Fury build and did complete the model, although to nothing like your standard. Sorry to say that it came to an end on maiden down to pilot error...! Just to reassure you that I am following you closely on the Auster build, but someway behind. Please keep up the extremely good work - it's much appreciated.

Richard

Hi Richard that is sad news on the Fury, they were a nice model to build a bit fiddly. Still haven't fitted a satellite receiver in mine to have another go. Have to wait until the spring now.

Yes the upturn in banter certainly keeps the enthusiasm going, but so does just clicking on the like button tbh, at least I know somebody is watching.

What are you building now to top the Fury?

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

Danny, I am on the case with my Auster build - see pic. Wings are finished complete with your flaps. but as yet not covered. Using Ceconite fabric which I find is slightly easier than Koverall. Seems not to fray so much and pinking shears help. Covering on fuse' has yet to be doped. It has just had a very light blow with the heat gun. Rudder will be close looped, but have just realised that I will have to move the servos to accomodate.....Elevator movement is as per the plan instructions.DSC_0412.thumb.JPG.0d6834666e6ccb1d7f0bffdc513b4c6a.JPG

Richard

• Like 1

Wow that looks ace Richard, we are going to have to be careful as to a subject.

I am struggling but think I am going to do G-AGTO

32794215968_28b0f42299_o.thumb.jpg.48f71e4c2c2f8ee2690abf077a5e5322.jpg

I believe another forum member has done Echo Echo (G-AJEE)

So if we ever all get together for that formation pass we ought to try and be unique?

I am pleased you got on okay with the Ceconite, it's different that's for sure.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

Been a bit wrapped to do much on the Auster, had a great indoor scale flying session at the weekend so no building done.

Did post another How-To video on Litho work on my Auster if anybody is having trouble sleeping..... 

I have got a bit closer to the shape of the windscreen, I have moved to very thin loose leaf binder acetate, useless as a windscreen but good to keep messing around trimming etc.

20220124_142414.thumb.jpg.33684394d291d151f4f6d19eb4105ce4.jpg

I will add some litho frames to glue too, check fit one more time then cut the genuine Vivak.

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 3

Not quite there yet Nick lol on to acetate No 3 but we are very close. If I can make it form easily without any force we should be onto a winner with the heavier material.

Need to take a thin sliver out the middle now..... trouble you alter one bit and it messes with another.

617.thumb.jpg.1dbfcaa2fe5f44a06442bb98da7d7ba9.jpg

618.thumb.jpg.2c3e2d47304cb7ea410e49cadf8ae3f7.jpg

But you are right it looks complex but it isn't, no compound curves were harmed in the making of this windshield ? 

I think they just gently heated Perspex and draped it over a felt form, but I would love to see details.

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 1

When I worked on full sized vintage aircraft I fitted several replacement screens on Austers. No idea how the replacements were made, but they arrived ready formed, mostly fairly accurately, and an inch or two oversize all round. 
No-one else wanted the job of trimming and drilling the holes for mounting screws as they thought they would crack or split the very expensive screen, so the job always fell to me. It would take ages, trimming tiny bits off at a time, and as you say Danny, trim one bit and it messes up another.

Really enjoying following the build by the way. I’m building something different but have also just spent several days on instrument panels - it has two, and open cockpits, so they have to look reasonable.

• Like 1

That's fascinating David, and I am really glad you are still enjoying this mayhem. There will be a video on two panels being made, first I wasn't happy with, will go public at 8pm on Friday ? Two open cockpits eh? British trainer perhaps? Moth?

Going back to full size, do you know how and who makes the screens, there must still be a niche market for such things?

I recall my Dad not being terribly happy about fitting windshields either, only now am I realising why!

Nearly there No 4 is very close and I am tempted to hit the heavy material.....

Interstingly that PETG that was pointed out to me the other day, sorry can't remember who spotted it, arrived and its 4.6mm thick as opposed to the kit material that is 5.6mm thick, both advertised as 5mm lol. I am tempted to try the thinner first ?

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton

My micrometer doesn't lie. I DID NOT buy any from SLEC.

Mine came from an Amazon link given by Caveman, on the previous page, advertised as .5mm but .46 clearly is rounded up.

The DBS&S stuff is advertised as .5mm and is .56mm But it could be old stock as the kit I got was at least 5 years old.

Anyway it doesn't matter.

Noticed in the previous posts the decimal point error lol Clearly you all kept up......

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton

I don't think any heat will be needed, once its the right shape it will be fine.

It is a shame when you get a kit you expect the difficult areas like this to have been addressed, as nobody else has ever complained re the shape then I must have just got a mis-cut one. Anyway as I say we are virtually there now with test template no 4.

619.thumb.jpg.86cdf1df31efdf4073ef570c0f81e37a.jpg

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1