DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

I love your threads Danny, if find them both inspirational and aspirational. I rarely comment as I can't lay claim to these skills! I do however understand that a mute audience is far from inspiring. 

I will endeavour to provide active encouragement, because this forum would be a far poorer place without your builds...

Graham

• Like 2

Thanks chaps much appreciated.

I have been messing with the instrument panel in between other things. As you may have noticed I scrapped the first one.

The second one is better. It needed a raised bezel as per the full size, and that has been quite difficult to do. In the end I used plasticine to make a master, then made a silicone mold, from that a resin bezel, which I was able to shape. Several days work for such a simple feature.

I was on the DB Sport and Scale website and noticed that Richard is doing a 3d printed panel with the bezel! Ah well I enjoy making these things, in fact the detailing is the hobby for me.

Just needs some paint.

607.thumb.jpg.ba177fa4c9476643c06e9dadf566546e.jpg

607.thumb.jpg.ba177fa4c9476643c06e9dadf566546e.jpg

608.thumb.jpg.4d5437cfc801bc382f4aec858853572f.jpg

605.thumb.jpg.233fe543ca4e6a429b2f1186e0c9b2a4.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 3

That's ok Danny. No one is going to get a micrometer out to see if the scale is correct. 

One other note, I comment when I can. Not only does it give encouragement and advice, it's sometimes a chore to post... even if it's a smiley, it makes it worth it.

• Like 1

The panel is almost complete.

612.thumb.jpg.ccfdc22cce382987621a4871325743f0.jpg

The bezel is a bit bashed, that is deliberate these aircraft were built in the 40's after all!

I need to add a reg placard, if I could just make up my mind on a subject.

The scheme I want is for a beagle terrier not an Aristocrat!

G-AXUJ a J1 would be appropriate...... and I have lots of lovely Klass Kote silver

GAXUJ.jpg.12b744e35fcc6827098080193706cc37.jpg

But I like the colours of the J6 Terrier G-ASCH

269093172_10161553206031040_8521804278873139296_n.jpg.59f9aaad3e2c6adc36b6a5717fdfaa5c.jpg

I suppose as it's flying only, I can do what I like.

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

The panel looks great Danny.

I don't suppose you could do a brief summary of how you did this? It makes a huge difference having some realistic instrumentation in the office..

Graham

Hi Graham, yes I did a lot of the work in Illustrator, which is a graphic design app.

I drew all the dials from photographs, it wasn't as hard as you would think.

502.thumb.JPG.4f9bc53de56a2e226ffec8f6aeb32cd5.JPG

I traced a scaled phot of a panel to get the right shape, you can just see the styrene sheet template that was taken straight off the model.

I cut a template on my plotter to aid with cutting holes in the styrene panel

572.thumb.JPG.f8b1ee9aedc884c5f4a6fcde6850bbc7.JPG

Printed the dials at the right scale and correct position on photo paper

578.thumb.JPG.a9caffbaa6bef892d1137a9abe025a3e.JPG

Had made three sizes of bezels on the lathe, these were used to make resin cast bezels.

Glue dots were added to the four corners of each instrument.

581.thumb.JPG.0a26659e961796562903134e029424e2.JPG

I made switches from two slithers of hex styrene rod, Plastistruct stuff. In the middle I glued a small ships belaying pins from model boat guys.

522.thumb.JPG.141a957f4f6bfb9c56fffefc8268ac08.JPG

Then the panel was airbrushed, matt black looked too harsh so I went for matt Nato black which is just a touch greyer.

611.thumb.jpg.d8360840cbd100c9b119d1bb851ff593.jpg

I glued a sheet of acetate to the photo of the instruments, then glued this, after carefully aligning it, to the back of the panel.

612.thumb.jpg.479131cd13ca030b21fd6ae7c7eaf81a.jpg

A little silver Humbrol dry brushed over the raised sections brought it to life.

And in the office......

613.thumb.jpg.47748c7a1304d7b37fe4752d9f07ca5f.jpg

Hope that helps, as usual there will be a video, but there is 4 days of footage to edit into something sensible and preferably not too boring!!!

Yes I have faffed about for 4 days on an instrument panel........

Cheers

Danny

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

I agree with you regarding the forum, I thought there would be more builds with the winter period. What has happened to the Fury builders ? some first class builds on there but not many completed, or have they been finished and not put on to the forum?

If our club is any thing to go by there is only 3 or 4 builders the rest fly ARTF.

There is a lot of banter at the flying strip but I think people are wary of putting any thing down now due to PC and offending someone.

You are doing your usual great job on the Auster.

Cheers Eric.  

This Fury builder will soon be ready to share ‘New Build’ photos but am awaiting a couple of parts to finalise the engine/exhaust installation and warmer weather to spray a final clear top coat. Quite a few modellers still at my new club but an awful lot more foamies and Artf models. At my previous club I flew there for 2 years and never saw a single plan built model and only 2 ic powered models ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Danny Fenton said:

What's next then Nick? If its not a Corsair??

I have acquired a set of plans for a Vailly Aviation 1/4.5 scale Butcher Bird (FW190) along with basic laser cut parts, cyparis spars, Several amazingly detailed sheets of Bentley drawings, Sierra retracts and some other useful accessories including a Valach 85cc twin Boxer. Should keep me busy for a while ? 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Nick Somerville said:

I have acquired a set of plans for a Vailly Aviation 1/4.5 scale Butcher Bird (FW190) along with basic laser cut parts, cyparis spars, Several amazingly detailed sheets of Bentley drawings, Sierra retracts and some other useful accessories including a Valach 85cc twin Boxer. Should keep me busy for a while ? 

Wow that's quite a haul, as I was reading that I was thinking Sierra, and you got them! The Valach should be sweet too

Should be a great build, I look forward to following along.

Cheers

Danny

1 hour ago, Nick Somerville said:

Looking forward to that build Nick.

6 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Hi Danny, 

this is a DB S&S Auster my son built when the kit was £115. I remember him having problems with the glazing. It was  electric powered and once in the air it did not want to come down , just floated on and on. His name was David.

22042010533[2861].jpg

Looks good though Eric, I will crack it. I have a pretty good paper template now, will try some thin acetate or card as a test next. I only have one piece of the Vivak..... needs to be 31cm wide, nearly all the sheet available seems to be 30cm max. Including the plastiglaze from RCWorld Cymaz.