Fitting snakes

Advert

Rigidly support front of snake outer near the servo (allowing enough room for snake inner and servo connector to travel backwards and forwards). Rigidly support snake rear at fuse exit (ditto enough room for inner to move). Rigidly support snake outer at least once in its length between front and rear supports. By rigidly I mean abrade surface of outer then glue to support medium (hole through former, ply / balsa ‘bracket). Something like this

213695CE-6438-43A8-B8FA-98CAAB2BF800.thumb.jpeg.1c2e4f81500eeb06de61fe367b0b5e80.jpeg

F2D0889B-F8E3-4527-A3E9-6B16992DD911.thumb.jpeg.e9447e383993cdf9a7598cc1e77d045a.jpeg

• Like 2

That's the way I read your query Basil.

I use a 2mm thread adapter that screws into the inner say half way then a clevis for the horn/servo arm

888277.jpg

I have used ball joints here but any 2mm clevis will work.

Extenders are here 

M2 and M3 Brass Extender £1.69 (4-max.co.uk)

Just as an example.

Edited by EarlyBird
More info added

Sullivan sell a tool for insertion of the threaded coupler for their snakes.

5513504.jpg

It's a piece of aluminium rod with a threaded hole in each end and knurled surface on the outside. You screw the threaded insert into the hole, so that it bottoms out, then screw the assembly into the snake inner - which makes sure that the length of threaded insert inside the snake is correct. Remove the tool then, after threading the snake inner into the snake outer, you add the correct clevis to each end.

Moulded exit fixtures for fixing the snake outers to the fuselage are available which make a neat job.

F-SL060.jpg

Here's my recent use of Sullivan snakes.

Rudder and elevator outers secured at both ends, but not too close to the servo-arms or control-horns to allow for the inner to flex slightly, and at as many stations down the fuselage as practical (just in the middle would have been okay but I had the option of intermediate stations so used them).

DSC_0543.thumb.JPG.772edbec538ecf31609fce928affc23f.JPG

DSC_0545.thumb.JPG.14d57fc00a35bc329b9ce4a1eb159948.JPG

DSC_0546.thumb.JPG.d0c4d598821fe6ce2668b2ebf2b7d9d8.JPG

Throttle and steerable nose-wheel linkages made up from offcuts.

DSC_0540.thumb.JPG.4c9720e7e75555cf75a8e754d778643a.JPG

PS:  Sullivan supplied clevises and studs of threaded-rod are Imperial threads, but you can either mix and match or just swap them out completely and just use metric equivalents.

Edited by Jonathan M
additional information

I've never had any success cutting 2mm threads for some reason. Of course one of the problems is that the 2mm push rods sold by SLEC which are threaded at one end only are rolled threads (like bicycle spokes) and the rod itself is less than 2mm dia.   I just buy 2mm threaded rod from Modelfixings and take the easy way.

I'm not a fan of snakes and I mostly use the outers as guides only for either metal push rods or Bowden wire for closed loop controls (it makes them easy to replace, too).  Apart from closed loop I prefer 3mm carbon rods with 2mm threaded insets epoxied in at each end.  They're amazingly rigid and dimensionally stable with temperature, which snakes aren't always.

Geoff

2 hours ago, Basil said:

Leccyflyer, where did you get the Sullivan tool, as I cant find any reference to it anywhere.

To everybody that answered, many thanks I have learned a lot.

Bas

Bas

I've had mine for years, got it at Steve Webbs, my local model shop at the time. The pictures are from RC Model World.

On my S6b, I used a snake for the rudder and anchored the outer tube at both ends and about four other places down the fuselage. I didn't find out, until I had completed the model, that there was more give in the rudder (when pressed sideways) than I liked, so I replaced the inner plastic push-rod of the snake with a carbon fibre rod of about the same diameter. This is quite a lot stiffer than the plastic and resulted in far less "give" of the rudder. So you might bear that in mind, if you have similar problems.

I made a simple gadget to screw in those adaptors

basically a metal clevis with the arms spread out to provide something to grip. then the adaptor is screwed into the clevis one end and then a bolt of same thread is screwed in the other end until reaches the adaptor and jams it.   Then you can wind the adaptor into the hollow snake, when inserted far enough just unwinding the bolt releases the adaptor and the gadget unscrews leaving the adaptor in place.

A picture saves fifty words   ---I had a photo of this gadget and showed it several times but its in my forum 'album' and of course thats disappeared in this new forum!   How can i get my pics back?