Transmitters

I was much the same, totally confused when I was upgrading my Tx from my 20 year old Futaba unit after crashing a model.

Open Tx is a big learning curve, but I have enjoyed that learning and there are a lot of very helpful people on line to assist.

Even better is that it can be made to do almost anything you want in any format you like as long as you can set it up.

With mine I can set multiple channels on the receiver to operate from one control, have separate rate switches for all 3 primary controls with 3 rates on each, do diferential motor steering on my twin motored machines which can be switched off, have height call out or vertical speed call out (switchable) on my gliders by flicking the trainer switch, and many other things.

I purchased a Jumper T16 Pro, but if I was buying now I would go for the Radiomaster TX16S.

I did try a FrSky transmitter but was not over impressed with it for the cost so it got returned.

Both the Jumper and the Radiomaster are compatible with most receivers available, but not Futaba Faast system. I have tried FrSky recievers, Spektrum, Orange, Radiomater and a toy mini helicopter and all work fine with the Tx.

Please buy from a reputable source in the UK (I use hobbyrc.co.uk who have been brilliant) just in case anything goes wrong.

Good luck.

I have used an FrSky Taranis X9D+ for about 3 years, with an iRange module in the back allowing me to bind to the vast majority of receivers. Never had a moment's trouble with the Tx or module.

Radiomaster, Jumper, FlSky etc. are stealing the market space that FrSky initially played in when it brought OpenTx. FrSky now seem to be concentrating more on slightly higher end products.

OpenTx is great! Yes, it can be a complex beast but it does not have to be. My Taranis has wizards that allow you to add, and set up, a basic new model very easily.   You should bear in mind that the current version of OpenTx is not touch screen enabled, so you may need to dig around to find out if this matters to you. There is a huge amount of information and help available at your fingertips!   

hello andrew,i've used Futaba for 20+ years,then Hitec A9 for 6 years,and i've recentley bought a Radiomaster T16s.....a wonderful bit of technology for the price from HobbyRC.Open TX is a bit daunting at first compared to some of the propriety manufactured sets,but once you have watched a few videos and got your head around the terminations...its ok.......if i can manage...anybody can.def check out a set.

ken anderson...ne..1....managing dept.

I'm a long-term Futaba user who recently returned to the hobby after a break of about five years. My current Tx is a FrSky Taranis and I have to admit that i is an impressive bit of kit for the money, but some months after buying it I am still struggling to some extent with the radio - coming from a non-computer background I find a lot of the explanations on line of how to do certain things totally incomprehensible. The instruction book (well worth the money) sets things out in  a more accessible fashion, but I am very wary of adjusting anything at the field. I plan to stick with it for the year and review the situation next winter. Hopefully, I'll be feeling more at home with it, if not, then back to Futaba.

What transmitter you want and what you need can be two different things, not much point in having the top all singing job if all you do is all you do is fly vintage types.

Not against open TX radio if it adds to your enjoyment of model flying, but even before the open type some top end computer radios would be fairly complicated and something that I found annoying was the "club expert" would recommend a certain radio to new " older" members who I knew would struggle to set it up even for a basic 4 channel model.

End result confused member  and club expert having to do the set up for them.

We have very experienced members in the club. When they buy a new radio it can take them six months to get it working properly and that is for normal models,nothing complicated.

It took me two years before I found out how make motor safe on electric powered models. 

Pressing a button on the touch screen took you to a new page on menus. Pressing the same ikon hard and firmly made the motor safe. Same to allow the motor to run.

The information was buried in a tiny area of the manual

And that is a basically simple Hitec Aurora 9

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Andrew Calcutt said:

Thinking of buying a new transmitter,but I am a bit confused by this open tx.Any use frsky or similar?

Read through a few threads on here (this one is good...

...watch some YouTube videos on the basics (R Scott Page and Painless360 are two of the best on OpenTX IMO) and see what you think.

If you are interested in OpenTX download CompanionTX and play with the software based simulator (latest version here) to get a feel for it in practice. With OpenTX you can try before you buy!

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Sounds like OpenTx... want a 4 channel model with single ailerons? Select the wizard, follow the question rail and voila, a new model in 30 seconds. Want 4 wing surfaces with 4 servos, selectable full span or split flaps/ailerons, three rates, thee position flaps? Prepare for some head scratching!

Want to point and shoot with a decent camera? Just select auto and press the shutter button; stop it picking it's own parameters...........

In both instances, the functionality available probably is much more than most will ever need/use

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy Gates said:

I purchased a Jumper T16 Pro, but if I was buying now I would go for the Radiomaster TX16S.

I did try a FrSky transmitter but was not over impressed with it for the cost so it got returned.

Interested as to why you would go for the Radiomaster over the Jumper pro? What is lacking in the Jumper to make you reconsider?

34 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Sounds like OpenTx... want a 4 channel model with single ailerons? Select the wizard, follow the question rail and voila, a new model in 30 seconds. Want 4 wing surfaces with 4 servos, selectable full span or split flaps/ailerons, three rates, thee position flaps? Prepare for some head scratching!

I haven't found the wizard yet, I've set mine up from scratch, channel by channel - I need to dig into it again!

57 minutes ago, Dave S. said:

I haven't found the wizard yet, I've set mine up from scratch, channel by channel - I need to dig into it again!

Here you go (video is a bit old and the wizard will look different depending on which TX you are using, but you get the idea)...

Edited by MattyB

10 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Here you go (video is a bit old and the wizard will look different depending on which TX you are using, but you get the idea)...

Who said OpenTX was difficult?

I'd challenge any one to name an easier transmitter system to setup a basic model than that!

• Like 3

Thanks for the link - I can't believe I didn't know that existed - I've been following the user manual which dismiss the 'create model' in a single sentence and guides through setting up each channel individually. I have wasted so many hours doing that, and now realise I could have simply used 'create model' and a few clicks later I'd have been ready to go. I've had the radio (Taranis X9D+ 2019) for six months and first used it to fly a model a couple of days ago.

5 hours ago, ken anderson. said:

hello andrew,i've used Futaba for 20+ years,then Hitec A9 for 6 years,and i've recentley bought a Radiomaster T16s.....a wonderful bit of technology for the price from HobbyRC.Open TX is a bit daunting at first compared to some of the propriety manufactured sets,but once you have watched a few videos and got your head around the terminations...its ok.......if i can manage...anybody can.def check out a set.

ken anderson...ne..1....managing dept.

Been using aurora 9 for a few seasons now,love the set easy to program but they are no longer available and I have I problem with the display,that will not get any better.As the radiomaster has a touch screen and is relatively cheap I will give it a go.

The simplest way to create a new model is to simply clone an existing one from the Model Select menu, then edit the name, picture etc.  Even better, create a model and call it 'Template' or similar, add all the bells and whistles you will ever use and copy that when you need a new model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bob Cotsford said:

The simplest way to create a new model is to simply clone an existing one from the Model Select menu, then edit the name, picture etc.  Even better, create a model and call it 'Template' or similar, add all the bells and whistles you will ever use and copy that when you need a new model.

I have a "My Template" on my Horus with every conceivable option I can think of (sticky motor cut, 3 rates with expo on everything plus 3 flight modes on everything, voices on every switch / rate, trainer switch, volume control etc). All features have been fully tested, so I know that everything works as expected. I copy the template to new models then just delete any options I don't need on that particular model. Simples.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil McCavity said:

Interested as to why you would go for the Radiomaster over the Jumper pro? What is lacking in the Jumper to make you reconsider?

I've handled both and prefer the feel of the Radiomaster one (to me it feels better build quality).

15 minutes ago, Gary Manuel said:

I have a "My Template" on my Horus with every conceivable option I can think of (sticky motor cut, 3 rates with expo on everything plus 3 flight modes on everything, voices on every switch / rate, trainer switch, volume control etc). All features have been fully tested, so I know that everything works as expected. I copy the template to new models then just delete any options I don't need on that particular model. Simples.

Ditto.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

We have very experienced members in the club. When they buy a new radio it can take them six months to get it working properly and that is for normal models, nothing complicated.

This might seem a bit harsh, but part of the reason they struggle is probably that experience. “Traditional” aero modelling has an ageing demographic, with many starting out at a time when RC systems were limited and the challenge was more focussed on the physical build. Younger, digital natives for whom the new tech is a motivator to engage with the hobby tend to pick up the tech (and open source systems) very easily, partly because they don’t have to unlearn a previous system and are open to the more flexible object oriented approach. It also helps that their learning style matches with the support resources available (I.e. YouTube videos, online forums and social media). Just look at the multirotor part of the hobby - open source flight controllers and TXs dominate, and a huge majority of those flyers entered the hobby within the last 5 years.

For a dyed in the wool Futaba or JR man who loves a printed manual and whose last set was purchased 15 years ago I absolutely get why OpenTX and it’s siblings will seem initially impenetrable. The fundamental logic is quite different and some clubs (though a lot less nowadays) won’t have an acknowledged “expert” to go to if that is the way you prefer to learn. Get past that and accept you may have to forget some previous knowledge and learn through different mediums thought and there are huge advantages. Top end functionality at low prices, great telemetry functionality from low cost hardware, setup on your computer via Companion, huge flexibility and the ability to move setups between sets pretty easily are the main ones.