Now Summer is here and Post-Covid

Erfolg

Summer Is here, I would like to think that Covid is behind us. It seems that Once upon a time there was no such thing as Covid

It seems that it is about two years since Covid arrived, and life  changed profoundly. Now that Covid is defeated everything is the same now. or is it?

As I trundle to the flying field I cannot but reflect.  During the Covid pandemic I only occasionally did i get to go to our flying field . Yet I suspect that Covid is still here, numbers of people dying from the disease, those hospitalised or recorded as having it are increasing yet again. On the face of things, all is pre Covid.

The Fracking protesters have gone, with there eco-friendly wet wood smoke (global warming particulate generator), cardboard box on head, ambling with the road traffic, and the 20 MPH speed limit. Now the speed limit is back to 50 MPH, although now there is a myriad set of pedestrian islands along the 4-5 mile stretch of road, with an impressive set of additional white painted road markings. That is whilst the carriage way continues to disintegrate as a integrated set of pot holes. A once 4 carriageway road, so I am told, is now reduced to a two carriageway, with extra obstacles and signage. Such is progress.

Far more importantly, the club has to date lost at least 3 members, to non Covid illnesses.

I cannot but notice that at best I go to the field once or twice a week, just to meet others. I seldom now fly a model, down from once a day, everyday. The reason is that I have now had three accidents with models, two of my own making, I am anxious, it would seem.

Howver during the lock downs I have designed two models. Building one and finishing a kit model.

The picture below is of a picture of an Aeronca Sedan, I complete redesign of the Mercury kit (shape) offering. It is essentially a true scale rendition in most respects, other than the undercarriage, being FG moulding, and omission of the fin/tailplane bracing wired. This one flies in all weathers, as a typical RC Scale model. It has been trimmed out and tested by one of magss occasional contributors, who has said it is an excellent vice free model.

The second is the Coverite kit of a Gee Bee Model D. Which my tolerant Test Pilot has pronounced is a good model. This model is only slightly changed, in now really significantly way, from the kit, other than going from IC to electric.

I also have lengthened the nose on my reduced size, and RC enabled of the CL  George Aldrich Nobler. That is after the nose liberated itself on a landing. It is now a more practical model, in that the Lipo and ESC are no longer compacted in. I have been tempted to produce a bigger version at about 50” span, retaining a closer nod and a wink to the original.

I will be down at the field tomorrow, endeavouring, to regain some confidence, although I suspect age is against me.

Enough about me, now what has everybody else been doing?

WP_20201027_11_11_12_Pro.thumb.jpg.8da4303eb258845776aa47ab7316b44b.jpg

Been doing a bit of flying, helped a couple of working lads with time constraints to pass out solo and been making some improvements on our field with a few other lads, clubs had quite a few new members of late, so met some new faces. I work outdoors so when my weary bones allow I've been out, been loving this hot spell of late and we've 2 pair of Buzzards nesting close by our field, watching them thermal is magic. ?

Potholes ? fousands of em, same with roadwork traffic lights, pain in the rear they are.

Covid ? Cost the wife her job of 30 years, she found another and is happy there, change looks to have done her good. ?

Son didn't pass his Captains exam/interview but reckons he's learnt from the experience and will sort it. Kids today eh.

Spurs are interviewing candidate number 97 for vacant managers job, not had my reply yet though.

Keep calm n plod on.

I feel for your lad, with perseverance he will win through.

From what I read, there will be a lot more loosing their jobs once Furloughing finishes. The perceived labour shortage will then disappear.

There has been many casualties that I hear about in this area. My daughter (number 1) lost a colleague in the Lancaster Health Authority. What really shock her this week is that her Professor who took her to Tranmere Rovers as a Club doctor, died from Covid, just after his wife from the same. John Aldred then played for them, she was trusted and allowed to give him a flue jab.  Now anybody can give a Covid jab, must be easy?  But time really flies, I bet John Aldred is now drawing his pension!

At present the sea front is a car park for the North West. I saw two coaches from Bingley parked up last week, at the bottom of our road.

Thankfully our field is pretty clear of interlopers, I will be there tomorrow, that is God willing.

• Like 1

Sorry. Did I miss something ?

I was under the impression that Covid was far from being defeated.

If it has been and I missed it, that sounds like very good news.

However it does seem that Erolg, like a lot of us, is managing to keep positive and get on with life. Good on him !

For my part I am still beavering away with the Marutaka models and the P-61 is starting to take shape.

A very unusual construction method though, but probably of its time.

I usually have a couple of models on the go and build one for "light relief".

This time I am constructing a Tinker Major fuselage for our club instructor (he bought the plan and wing ribs).

I did build the Little Stinker for him, but he prefers more "sedentary" biplanes, it seems.

Anybody looking for a cheap (ish) Pitts ?

Unfortunately, due to the nature of our flying field we are struggling to get to fly at the moment (wind direction), but any available opportunity is being grabbed with both hands, or is it sticks ?

Sadly, Covid seems far from defeated.  Unlikely to ever be defeated, we will just have better defences - defences we are building by vaccinating.  But with around 50% of the population not fully vaccinated, there is still scope for  increased infection and, of course, new variants that may prove more resistant.  Whilst cases on the East Coast of Yorkshire where I live are low, we are still advised not to travel to visit relatives and friends who live in areas with high numbers of cases; or in areas where we'd need to travel through the more infected areas.  Fingers crossed that vaccination continues rapidly and this soon changes.

On a brighter note, the garden has been well looked after, and I repaired/refurbished around a dozen airframes. The road from my house to the flying field has been totally resurfaced and is currently beautifully smooth. Speed bumps have appeared locally (a first for this rural area), to try and slow down traffic (mainly motor cycles), and thanks to retirement (age) I have flown more than ever in the last 15 months, despite not being allowed out at times.

Staycation has meant that the roads have been awash with caravans and camper vans, also slowing down traffic!

Our exercise sessions moved on line, which has not stopped my wife training for her third dan black belt in Shotokan karate - the recent relaxation of rules allowing her to practice elements that can only be done face to face.

My workshop remains a mess! With bits of aeroplanes everywhere:

• my SE5 is in bits again
  • i was given a very small, slippery fast beasty that needs refurbishment
  • my P47 stands in the corner awaiting covering 
  • my VMC Tiger Moth nears the covering stage
  • my Typhoon and Corsair are both hung up awaiting undercarriage fettling...

It's all been a bit of a curates egg really!

GG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I do wonder about other model flyers, what do they do, and when, with respect to going flying.

In my own case, I have gone from flying daily, under most weather conditions, to possibly less than once a week. The thought of wrecking a model or loosing one would never enter my head. Now it is ever upmost thought in my thoughts. The changes to regulations has increased these thoughts, although not initialising them.

The weather here is great, although this seems to have brought out the road gangs from hibernation.  Last week I could not get to the field without waiting at traffic controlled road works, whichever way I went (only two ways out from where I live. Even the so called Moss Road is now under construction, the B5261, having been closed for +3 years. Is the now +30 minute journey, part of my reduction in flying and what is happening in my garden no indicator as to the field conditions?

Our club has recently held a fly in, which had BMFA support. Last week a BMFA scale competition was held at the field. Covid does seem to have some impact on the numbers attending the two events.

I have decided that I will introduce some structure to my flights, partly to improve my skills, aiming for average. An aside, it struck me as a little odd that the scale comp was about flight schedule marking, where the models often were incredible in scale detail and finish, and it did not matter to marking. To me it seems all that is needed is model that looks something like the full sized aircraft, where weight and control surfaces were optimised for flying.

I am hopeful that I will go to the field tomorrow. The weather forecast seem favourable.

On 26/06/2021 at 19:34, kevin b said:

I did build the Little Stinker for him, but he prefers more "sedentary" biplanes, it seems.

Anybody looking for a cheap (ish) Pitts ?

If I wasn't in the throws of debugging the engine (dirty carb, I think, cleaned and awaiting another bench run) in my just-finished aeromaster, I would bite your hand off.

On 27/06/2021 at 05:40, GrumpyGnome said:

My workshop remains a mess! With bits of aeroplanes everywhere:

Likewise. My shed build stalled over last winter as the cold halted play. Watertight by the arrival of the worst of it. I am only now putting in some cabinets (clones of kitchen units cobbled together from leftover OSB) and a work surface. Any building efforts for the last twelve months have been on a variety of temporary setups ranging from bad to worse, cannot wait to have a proper bench back again.

14 hours ago, Erfolg said:

In my own case, I have gone from flying daily, under most weather conditions, to possibly less than once a week. The thought of wrecking a model or loosing one would never enter my head. Now it is ever upmost thought in my thoughts.

The same with me.

I had got over all of the anxieties I had when I first started and progressed to flying everyday in all weather conditions with confidence. When we were allowed out again my confidence had gone. I started watching the weather forecast and not going to the field if winds were in excess of 10 mph, I had joined the 'it's too windy club' also for the first time I asked someone else to maiden a model for me, something that I had always done myself shortly after passing my A. 

The other day I decided that these negative thoughts were diminishing the fun and too much time at home was not good for me. I watched this amazing demonstration of gliders flying in a wind.

Thanks @Steve Houghton 1

With a forecast of winds at 14 mph I went flying. MPX EasyStar was chosen and to the field I went and flew. Three flights without issue and loads of fun keeping it's nose into wind and landings less than perfect just resulting in a short walk, less than 50 m. ?

The anxieties are now banished for good. For me all I had to do was get out there and fly.

I thought I was the only one who had been mentally affected by the lockdowns but obviously not.

Summer is here so I am looking forward again with the challenge of beating my 1 hour flight time thermalling. Happy days are back. 

• Like 1

It's good to get out in the sunshine and fresh air, getting confidence back and flying in wind, but not tooo strong a wind, but remember,  Covid has NOT GONE, it's still with us and seems to be rising again !

So, do not let your guard down even if you have had a double jab.

STAY SAFE out there.

In Wales MASKS ARE STILL MANDATORY in shops and public transport and elsewhere.

Society is not in a "post covid" timezone yet.

Enjoy the relative freedom...

Safe flying is no accident.

Edited by Rich Griff

1 minute ago, Rich Griff said:

It's good to get out in the sunshine and fresh air, getting confidence back and flying in wind, but not tooo strong a wind, but remember,  Covid gas NOT GONE, it's still with us and seems to be rising again !

So, do not let your guard down even if you have had a double jab.

STAY SAFE out there.

In Wales MASKS ARE STILL MANDATORY in shops and public transport and elsewhere.

Society is not in a "post covid" timezone yet.

Enjoy the relative freedom...

Safe flying is no accident.

With one stroke of the pen my anxieties have returned.

I'm very lucky in that I'm free to go flying every day of the week if I so wish, and this is what I've done all this week and will do so over the weekend.

It does help that my club is only 7 1/2 miles away with the journey mostly via dual carriageway. I tend to go early in the morning, from around 07:30 /08:00 until about 10:00 / 10:30. By then it's getting too hot for me to be standing under the blazing Spanish summer sun. The couple of hours I spend there (99% alone) makes for a calm and tranquil start to the day. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Covid ? No idea myself, it's gone but it's surging ? Wear a mask but don't.

Anyway, off flying today and there's a fair few going, take plenty liquid n an hat, enjoy. ?

Don't forget the factor 50 and decent UV blocking sunglasses as well.

• Like 1

Having reached the age when driving licences need renewing every 3 years, my 1st 3 year licence became due to run out in some 8-12 weeks time and I received an unexpectedly bulky application form/questionnaire - 16 pages of it!
The completion of said form was seriously delayed as a lot of it related to hiccups in my health going back years, the details of which I had to request from my Doctor’s practice, also from Consultants who had treated me over the years at different medical establishments 
I finally got all my ducks in a row, and sent in the 16 page magnum opus plus a variety of supporting documentation some 8-9 weeks before my licence ran out.

There followed a deafening silence, and just before my licence ran out (2nd week in June) I was summoned for a succession of eye tests a month later - by which time I would have been grounded for 5 weeks ( the 16 page form was very definite about this ).

At the final examination and consultation with a senior Ophthalmologist I was informed that there was nothing the matter with my eyes/sight and he couldn’t explain why I had been put through all these hoops, and he had no problem with my driving as soon as I wished - and he’d write in these terms to DVLA and my Optician.

Has anybody tried to contact DVLA lately? It’s a Kafka-esc experience, their phones are never answered, their chat line similar - finally after a day and a half I got through on a line unrelated to my situation manned by real human, better, he was a bloke who wanted to help - consequently I now have a letter on DVLA headed paper confirming that I can legally drive until the new licence arrives. 
That may be some time as apparently DVLA is working at a glacial speed owing to Industrial Inaction and (wouldn’t you believe it) C19.

Still, after a 5 week lay off my Bogies, my J60 and the big old Scorpion have all had an airing - and I’ve had a couple of evenings of fishing too. 
Aaah that’s better.

You don’t really appreciate what you’ve got until you lose it for a month or so. 

• Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 09:53, Steve Colman said:

I'm very lucky in that I'm free to go flying every day of the week if I so wish, and this is what I've done all this week and will do so over the weekend.

It does help that my club is only 7 1/2 miles away with the journey mostly via dual carriageway. I tend to go early in the morning, from around 07:30 /08:00 until about 10:00 / 10:30. By then it's getting too hot for me to be standing under the blazing Spanish summer sun. The couple of hours I spend there (99% alone) makes for a calm and tranquil start to the day. 

Another early riser here - during nice weather, my weekday morning is typically like this:

4:30 get woken by Labrador

4:31 Labrador out for a wee

4:32 ablutions, feed cats

4:35 read news and forums

5:05 tv/internet browsing

6:05 tidy kitchen etc.

6:15 select aircraft and move from hangar (The Pigeon Coop) to front garden

6:25 load car

6:35 feed dog

6:40 get dressed

6:45 make coffee for flasks, select breakfast

6:50 final car packing, farewell to wife

7:00 arrive at field slowly so see the hares and/or buzzards

7:01 unload car

7:05 coffee! 

7:15 start flying

11:00/11:30 return home

Always on my own until 9:00; 90% of time on my own until 10:00; 80% of time I see nobody.

Weekends I tend to be home by 10:00 before all the weekday workers arrive to cloud the skies with swarms of planes.   I exaggerate, we have under 30 in the club and nobody has ever seen more than 7 fliers at once.... ?

I am very lucky to be retired, have an understanding wife, and a lovely quiet field very close. 

• Like 1

Had a belting Sunday morning in good company yesterday. It was great to be out in the fresh air, the weather was perfect, much better than forecast and even getting my FW190 tangled up in the electric fence on landing didn't take the edge off a perfect day. Plenty of interesting, relaxed chat and got a couple of cracking jokes, which I'll make good use of. Looks to be similar weather today but it's Monday, so I'm working.

I have to say I was nervous for the first flight for 4 months when lockdown ended.  I needn't have been as my aircraft (2 mtr F3A beast) was just as before and I soon caught up with it.  That was for just flying round doing few aeros.  Since then, I've practiced the schedule I was flying before lockdown and I think I'm now close to the standard I was at before.  Big test was my first competition, for which I was also the Contest Director, and that worked out OK in that the pilots who beat me were all either current or recent team members.  However, the day was one of those mostly blue sky, dawn till dusk, days and seeing the aircraft when it was in the blue and at the top of the box was a real struggle!  In fact, I lost sight of it as it entered the spin and when I saw it again recovered at the right time only to find I'd spun once too many times!  A lot of zeros followed that as the aircraft merged into the blue and performed various non schedule moves!  Moving to my low light sunglasses (yellow tint) greatly improved the visibility of the aircraft in the blue but did leave me with sore eyes by the end of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Busy day at the flying field yesterday. I flew my SNJ for the first time in years and did a bit of instructing with Patrick on my Seagull Boomerang, the multi-coloured model behind me in the fourth picture and my battered old "We Can Fly" foamy electric trainer. Patrick has just bought exactly the same model but it's now called the "Charter" and it's marketed by Robbe. https://www.flashrc.com/robbe/33293-...p_env146m.html

The man in the red tee shirt is called Guy. He's a superb builder but a nervous flyer. He's only recently returned to the hobby after a lay off of over thirty years. The white model with red trim is his and it hadn't flown for forty-two years! The club president, who has competed several times in the French National Championships, nearly crashed it on landing approach. It's nice to know that even experts can make mistakes!

28th July 2021 Spot of instruction with Patrick.jpg

28th July 2021.jpg

Harvard 28th July 2021 No 1.jpg

Harvard 28th July 2021.jpg

Guy's Model.jpg