Warbirds Replicas Winter build thread.

1 minute ago, Andy Gates said:

Not too sure where the orientation issue comes from with all black planes or if this is an old wives tail.

I fly an all black Mosquito and I have never experienced an issue with orientation, so I would go with a night fighter version.

Ahh well, you would be so cocky flying at night Andy .....

Finally started the job i was not looking forward to, cutting the wing and fitting the retracts! First wing has been done, the foam needs lining with thin ply and balsa but that will wait till i have done the other side which is on the list for tomorrow. Looking forward to cracking on with the build once this step is done.

retract fiiting.jpg

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 1

I covered the wing of the Hurricane with lam film, I had intended to use brown paper but having a good result on the tail feathers I went ahead and done the wing. I am happy the way it has turned out, no wrinkles. pity I can't use it on my face.  Slotting the tail plane and elevators the black etch primer come off the film despite rubbing down with 600 grit wet and dry. I have used car plastic bumper paint on the wing I hope that holds better.

DSC_1036[2494].JPG

DSC_1037[2495].JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, martin collins 1 said:

Finally started the job i was not looking forward to, cutting the wing and fitting the retracts! First wing has been done, the foam needs lining with thin ply and balsa but that will wait till i have done the other side which is on the list for tomorrow. Looking forward to cracking on with the build once this step is done.

retract fiiting.jpg

Very neat Martin, not my favourite job either.

• Like 1

Both retract holes made in the wings, now on to lining with 3mm balsa and thin ply where necessary,  used my home made hot wire cutter to make a trench round the retract ply mounting plate. Like Graham R we have an induction hob so i stuck a bit of spare modelling wire over our open fire for a few moments and melted the foam trench that way ?, (Don`t try this at home children). Hopefully i can get it all lined this evening and will move onto the ailerons.

hot wire for retract trench.jpg

retract box trench.jpg

5 hours ago, gillyg1 said:

Martin , i have used stiff card and pva to line my wheel well  walls. ie the depth around the edges, cheaper than balsa. Cereal box, etc plenty in the recycling box ?

Also good for wing fillets on leccy models, I have a 15yr old Miles Magister with cereal box fillets and they are still good , not recommended for IC.

LA7 update, wings are have tips, trailing and leading edges on and are waiting for me to attack them with the sanding block, servo boxes have still to be cut into the wing. Fuselafe has the control snakes properly installed and supported and the bottom sheeting has just gone on this evening. 

IMG_20211202_201629.jpg

IMG_20211202_201702.jpg

IMG_20211202_202944.jpg

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 1

looks good Martin . Nice and straight . Should go like a rocket !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phvJbLXEQPM

We cant see La7s flying at the moment as nobody has restored one (yes we did have a later model at Duxford a few years back ) 

But we can get an idea what awesome performers they must have been . The Yak 11 trainer (the "Moose") was derived from the very frisky Yak 3 airframe , but detuned by fitting a lower rated radial engine and longer canopy to accommodate a second pilot for training purposes . All over the world various Yak 11s have been re engineered back to hot Yak 3s by generally installing a v12 Allison Engine of around 1200 hp , which is very close in size and power to the original Klimov motor . 

However some of the Yak 11s have been fitted with more powerful Radial motors and the single seat canopy . This version does bring us very close to the La5/7 spec and you can certainly see how these little fighters must have been hard to take on . 

Vertical performance shows how small and light they are , as they go uphill more like late WW2 fighters like the Bearcat and Sea Fury which had twice the horsepower . A good example of the Russian philosophy of making machines very task specific . Very much like a rally car . Everything not absolutely required is simply left out . 

Hope the link above works ok .

Richard

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The weather is back to normal so back to building. The Hurricane is now painted , the engine was removed during painting and has to be fitted. the cockpit needs a pilot and some fittings, not a lot as there is not a lot to see through the canopy. the paint used was Guild fuel proof rattle cans, Great decals from Glynn Lander, and a little bit of weathering done.

DSC_1067[2559].JPG

Edited by Eric Robson
added some text.
  • Like 3

Happy New year chaps . 

Ive just been to Aldi's . Apparently they are getting a lot of fitness equipment in on Thursday , for people's new year resolutions . 

I was particularly interested in kettle bells of about 3kg each . So I asked the manager if there would be anyone available on Thursday to carry them to my car .

He just looked at me blank . So I picked up some bread and butter pudding and some triple cooked frozen chips instead . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1