Tx muff

Rich Griff

Advert

The problem with making your own one is making sure you can easily, and quickly, get to the sticks after hand launching on the slopes.

I use one made by the same manufacturer as my transmitter. Not cheap, but very easy to use and well worth the cost as it means I don't have to stop flying because my fingers are numb.

• Like 1

The defunct company 'Raydiowarm' used to make mitts, might be lucky if you search small ads.

I picked this one up from SMC's bargain bin. It didn't have a hole for a 35mHz aerial so I didn't use it until I converted to Jeti, t'is perfect for that.

I can either launch left handed (with right hand on elevator/aileron) or better, I get someone to launch for me.

1346098907_Raydiowarmtransmittermuff2.thumb.jpg.bee77ee1b328ab0957145fd2c7d60df9.jpg

2076207563_Raydiowarmtransmittermuff.thumb.jpg.2b401425b3a13c7411f32113f9c8687e.jpg

Yes, that's the sort of thing but with much wider hand holes so it's easy to put your hand in quickly....

An inflatable one with wide open hand holes might be better...

I will be wondering around the shops later this week looking for suitable clear plastic to start with, for a non inflatable prototype home made affair, possibly the plastic bags for clothes that you hoover down, hope they are cheap !

An inflatable affair could be made to keep its shape, large hand holes...

The thing I found fiddly was attaching and detaching the neck strap before and after flights.  A magnetic one a bit like the old Lego train couplings would seem ideal.  A short fairly stiff extension from the existing transmitter neck strap connector which passes through the clear window, to one magnet, and a matching one on a shortened neckstrap would do the job.

If your model needs hand launching, aim to have someone launch the model for you.  Trying to get your hand through the muff hand hole whilst not taking you eye off the model would seem like an accident waiting to happen.

Gosh, that jeti one is even more expensive.

Yes getting your hand In quickly and reliably is a concern...

Would take a further second or two to get to the stick. I hand launch with my right hand and can reach the stick no problem at the moment, but adding a muff and a further second or two would be concerning...

Practise makes perfect, but there is always the "inevitable" to consider, sods law I suppose.

Edited by Rich Griff

19 hours ago, Mike T said:

Can these things be washed?  What if the previous owner had psoriasis, or was an habitual nose-picker?

The part you have to watch out for most is the clear PVC window.  The danger is washing the plasticiser out of it, which will lead to cracking at the stitching and the window becoming cloudy and brittle.  From what I can find on the net, dishwashing detergent or mild hair shampoo would be the best products with which to wash the mitt without endangering the window.

You definitely should avoid any of the following:

• Aggressive detergents
  • Fabric softeners
  • Spinning cycles
  • Tumble drying
  • Folding across the window
  • Temperatures above 35°C (e.g. hot washing cycle or drying by a radiator)
  • Very cold temperatures (makes the plastic brittle)
  • Leaving in direct sunlight