The Works pva

Rich Griff

I use DeLuxe Materials glues exclusively now. For me no other other manufacturer has products to match

The owner of the business is a chemist and has tailored his products to our modelling needs. If you have a technical query or suggestion for a new product just email the boss and you will get a good thoughtful answer.

At first one might think that the D-L-M products are more expensive than other glues, but I find that because they work so well I think I use less. They also have a whole load of application accessories so that you can apply just the right amount of glue exactly where you want it

For planking their PVA is double excellent - fast grab time but enough time to position and pin planks. It also sands very well unlike many other PVAs that I have tried. I believe that the key reason for the D-L-M PVA working so well is that it has little or no bulking agent unlike most other PVAs. 

No I am not a secret agent of D-L-M just a long term satisfied user.

• Like 2

Thanks early bird, anyone used the veneer glue mentioned, sticking veneer to white foam or repairing veneer to white foam.

I understand copydex was used originally, but again that was used years ago.

I don't use gorilla glue any more, the foaming one, because of the label, but will read the gorilla PVA and/or aliphatic label when in town.

I wear gloves, diesel stinks, I hate the smell but like the economy 60mpg +.....my god it's expensive now, be that's an other thread.

Stick to glue, white glue, excuse the pun .

Edited by Rich Griff

13 hours ago, Alan Hilton said:

Maybe but the whole thread is about pva which is fairly safe so a casual reader may get the wrong message 

One good reason for us to stay on topic which @Rich Griffseems to have a problem with. For example

7 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

anyone used the veneer glue mentioned, sticking veneer to white foam or repairing veneer to white foam.

I wear gloves, diesel stinks, I hate the smell but like the economy 60mpg +.....my god it's expensive now, be that's an other thread.

9 hours ago, Alan Hilton said:

Grow up

No need to be rude. 

@Gary Manuel is not the one causing the issue you are concerned about @Rich Griff is the one who started talking about gorilla glue and cancer. This idea had to be corrected, but once written this type of misinformation can become thought of as true, may still happen because of casual readers.

• Thanks 1

As a side note......PVA is not without its clinical problems, although not found to be carcenogenic in any way it was found to have a certain effect that may, or may not, cause concern to readers (either casual or not)....... from this scientific study the conclusion was -

Body Weights and Clinical Findings The final mean body weight of vehicle control mice controls from week 17 until the end of the study. The was less than that of the untreated control group only clinical finding was vaginal irritation, observed (Figure 2 and Table 4). The mean body weights of in six mice in the vehicle control group and 11 mice the dosed mice were less than those of the untreated in the dosed group.

It appears you were closer to the truth than you realised Ken!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

To keep on topic -

Evostik Wood Glue ( Resin W ) is reasonably sandable - it does not easily 'pull out' while sanding - and it's easily obtainable from Robert Dyas, Toolstation, Screwfix and most DIY supermarkets.   Check the price though as it varies a lot. 

I should also note that Evostik Wood Glue Resin W seems to last for years so it's worth buying a large bottle which may not be much dearer than the small sizes.   Probably same with all PVA etc.  Must be kept protected from frost though.   It might be well worth while finding a small bottle with a long thin spout and decanting some from the large bottle.

The joints made with Resin W also last for years - a cabinet with drawers all glued up with the then fairly new Resin W in about 1965 is still as good 56 years later as when it was made.  

Yes, some pva's, an everbuild resin type, biege in colour rather than white, in a yellow bottle, has a relatively short shelf life.

Not tried that on balsa yet, clean off with water so I have not had to sand it on stuff I have glued with it.

Seems strong and waterproof as stuff I have used it on is outside, it rains a lot here.