Lithium rechargable batteries

Rich Griff

I have used nicad batteries for years with no problems.

Lithium batteries are completely new to me.

Is a lithium ion rechargeable battery the same as a lithium polymer rechargeable battery ?

The names suggest they are both rechargable and contain lithium so therefore similar, but not the same.

The lithium polymer rechargeable battery, lipo, may have different safety requirements to the lithium ion rechargeable battery, a li ion battery.

So, is a fire extinguisher suitable for a li ion rechargeable  battery fire, also suitable for a lipo rechargeable battery fire ?

If yes, which extinguisher please ?

I just want the right extinguisher for a lipo battery fire.

I enguired but got a non committal and useless answer from a fire extinguisher supply company, who's website information gave confusing and seemingly "opposite" information to that given by the lipo battery supplier safety sheet.

I am confused...

Thanks.

Advert

Hi Rich . As its the gases produced by the electrolyte that initially ignite when a lipo / li-ion cell is either shorted / overcharged or has internal fault then a suitable extinguisher would be a Dry Powder type . This type of extinguisher is also recomended for a metal fire and as Lithium is a metal it is suitable . Using a water type extinguisher could make matters worse .

A trip to your local fire station should get you the correct advice and they wont be trying to push a particular product like an extinguisher company.

Safest way to charge lipos is outdoors away from combustibles on a concrete or non conductive surface . NEVER charge them indoors unattended , infact my advice would be to NEVER charge lipos  indoors. If they catch fire in a safe place let them burn and smother with dry sand etc.

Li-Ion have  metal cases are more resiliant to damage and if charged with a dedicated protected charger should be ok  to charge indoors  but never leave charging unattended. 

Have a look on youtube at Lipo battery fires . They can be very dramatic and discharge  hot flamable gas some distance igniting anything combustible in its path .

Use a proper good quality charger thats set up correctly  together with a correct battery/motor/ prop /ESC set up and you will be fine .

Edited by Engine Doctor

So a li ion rechargeable battery and a lithium polymer rechargeable battery are the same inside, using the same chemistry, so have the same type of fire, apart from the plastic ?

A li ion has a hard more protective "outside" compared to a lipo's "soft, less protective and easily punctured" outside ?

Would those be reasonable statements ?

3 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

I have used nicad batteries for years with no problems.

Lithium batteries are completely new to me.

Is a lithium ion rechargeable battery the same as a lithium polymer rechargeable battery ?

The names suggest they are both rechargable and contain lithium so therefore similar, but not the same.

The lithium polymer rechargeable battery, lipo, may have different safety requirements to the lithium ion rechargeable battery, a li ion battery.

So, is a fire extinguisher suitable for a li ion rechargeable  battery fire, also suitable for a lipo rechargeable battery fire ?

If yes, which extinguisher please ?

I just want the right extinguisher for a lipo battery fire.

I enguired but got a non committal and useless answer from a fire extinguisher supply company, who's website information gave confusing and seemingly "opposite" information to that given by the lipo battery supplier safety sheet.

I am confused...

Thanks.

You’re not the only one - I’m confused why you’re asking most of the same questions from the other day!

In answer to your question ‘which extinguisher please’, a bucket of sand, doesn’t really matter what make of sand or indeed the container it’s kept in, just make sure it’s not the kiddies sand castle type as they’re a bit on the small size but having said that it could be ok for a 1s battery.

The other great thing about the sand fire extinguisher is that the type of lithium battery is irrelevant.

Regarding suppliers, any builder’s merchant will have some as will the larger DIY stores but be careful that you don’t get pre mix mortar/concrete, these will work but could leave a bit of a lump in the pits/garage/kitchen or wherever you come across the fire. Of course if you live near the coast then any sandy beach could be a good source although it’s removal may be against local by-laws as the action may have an effect on sea defences.

Sorry if this a bit of thread drift but I couldn’t make up my mind if this should go in this thread or the other one which is nearly identical.

PS, another side benefit of the bucket of sand is that, if you smoke (I don’t) it’s an ideal place to stubb your fags out in and at bonfire time sparklers can be safely put out in it too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rich Griff said:

Did you find the route to the "text" in the fire extinguisher thread ?

No.

The long answer is I didn't try as your thread are getting repetitive, long winded, tedious &  IMO pointless

Edited by PatMc
pointless
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

In answer to your question ‘which extinguisher please’, a bucket of sand, doesn’t really matter what make of sand or indeed the container it’s kept in, just make sure it’s not the kiddies sand castle type as they’re a bit on the small size but having said that it could be ok for a 1s battery.

The other great thing about the sand fire extinguisher is that the type of lithium battery is irrelevant.

Regarding suppliers, any builder’s merchant will have some as will the larger DIY stores but be careful that you don’t get pre mix mortar/concrete, these will work but could leave a bit of a lump in the pits/garage/kitchen or wherever you come across the fire. Of course if you live near the coast then any sandy beach could be a good source although it’s removal may be against local by-laws as the action may have an effect on sea defences.

Sorry if this a bit of thread drift but I couldn’t make up my mind if this should go in this thread or the other one which is nearly identical.

PS, another side benefit of the bucket of sand is that, if you smoke (I don’t) it’s an ideal place to stubb your fags out in and at bonfire time sparklers can be safely put out in it too.

Thanks Ron

Does the provenance of the sand matter at all?

I'd imagine a nice clean, water-wet, quartz arenite, fine to very fine grained would be preferable. I wouldn't advise using Alberta Tar Sands- they would just exacerbate the situation. If you google "Alberta Tar Sands", then follow the text to Oil Composition, by-pass the mass chromatograms, which are probably only of interest to the mainstream oil sands enthusiast and cut right to the API and flash point of the oil in those sands that might help come to a decision. It would help the reader if you could post a link. Or alternatively you could write it down on a postcard and put it in a drawer for a few years. ;).

• Haha 5

47 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

I wouldn't advise using Alberta Tar Sands

No problem as I don't have any to hand but I do have a choice of grit sand or dry silica sand, I did some block paving a few years ago. ? I am talking nonsense as I don't charge at home I do that at the club. For me no extinguisher or sand required. That's annoying I have been loosing sleep over those scary videos for no good reason.

This whole topic is aimed at putting everyone off flying electric?

I was at a swap meet this morning and there was a huge choice of glow, petrol and diesel engines going cheap. Too late now I will have to stick with electric and just put up with the imminent fire risk. There I go again talking nonsense there is no fire risk for me.?