Mini Super Belair Kits

EarlyBird

38 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

I notice that cgulltech (on eBay) amongst a lot of others is supplying sets of ribs for the Super 60.  I've been dealing with him for years since he supplied s/w to back-up Multiplex 3030 model data.  He's a pretty good guy in my experience and his rib sets are worth a look.

Fortunately I don't do ebay because it won't let me sign in and my son was scammed by a rouge trader so not for me Geoff. 

All the bits added so now ready for top sheeting.

IMG_20220211_151521.thumb.jpg.bf7fe40b60a20abffea2b61c0548d22e.jpg

LE sheet pulled up.

IMG_20220212_061056.thumb.jpg.b8494ab76a058225af86b64d2cec0a47.jpg

I decided to use my preferred Peter Miller method for the LE which will be two layers of 3/32 instead of one 3/16.

First layer chamfered along the bottom edge to fit the bottom sheeting and glued in place.

IMG_20220212_063640.thumb.jpg.d3aa6637b3efbe5effe89f12ab37647e.jpg

Planed down and sanded to shape.

IMG_20220212_080532.thumb.jpg.fc4009a3a49e6ee10f560153bad5fed5.jpg

Top sheet will now fit over the LE with another 1/32 cap strip to complete the LE.

Steve

Did a bit more in the evening, just to show willing.

Clamps are off and LE planed down as close to the sheeting as I dare go.

IMG_20220214_060826.thumb.jpg.e354c3ac6b4856158c1518b709a4fd0a.jpg

Little bits to do, cut hole in servo tray, wedge pieces on top of the bottom spars for dihedral braces and bits on the wing tips. I think that I will shape and finish the wings before joining to the central flat section. I am also thinking the wing tips are weak and thinking of adding some balsa. ? By doing so I am adding weight but I can live with that whereas if I catch a wingtip and it shatters I will be devastated. My thinking is that these models were designed when power was limited and so built as light as possible.

Still thinking though ?

Steve

One way of reinforcing weak wing tips is to put a sawcut along the butt joints and insert a sliver of 1/64 ply or even veneer.  This changes the butt joint into a sort of mortice and tenon ( loose tenon the old woodworkers would call it  - now called biscuit jointing )  and makes the joint less likely to fail in rough handling.     Of course we do this after the joint has been made and the framework assembled so there is no alignment problem -the sawcut just goes into the finished framework.

The same for the edges that might touch anything, just a sliver of ply inserted and glued stregthens a lot with very little weight.

10 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

Did a bit more in the evening, just to show willing.

Clamps are off and LE planed down as close to the sheeting as I dare go.

IMG_20220214_060826.thumb.jpg.e354c3ac6b4856158c1518b709a4fd0a.jpg

Little bits to do, cut hole in servo tray, wedge pieces on top of the bottom spars for dihedral braces and bits on the wing tips. I think that I will shape and finish the wings before joining to the central flat section. I am also thinking the wing tips are weak and thinking of adding some balsa. ? By doing so I am adding weight but I can live with that whereas if I catch a wingtip and it shatters I will be devastated. My thinking is that these models were designed when power was limited and so built as light as possible.

Still thinking though ?

Steve

Follow your instinct, your build weight increase is minimal anyway.

12 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Follow your instinct, your build weight increase is minimal anyway.

Thanks John, My thoughts were that these 'vintage' models evolved from free flight designs where excess weight was avoided. When RC started the equipment was heavy compared to modern radio gear so again models were built light. A lot of weight will be saved by using 9g servos, relatively light receiver and electric motor so I can build in some extra strength and not compromise the flight characteristics. On top of that building heavy makes the model fly faster which is not a problem due to the flexibility of motor prop combinations. I know there is a reduction in flight duration with increased weight and some attach great importance to this but for me it's not an issue.

I have started by adding a 1/4" triangle to the back of the wing tip LE and I will add another on the end of the aileron spar hopefully this will also help support the covering film and maintain the shape. 

Steve

• Like 1

Steve.

forgive me if I'm jumping the gun here,the centre section braces and into the first bay of each wing need to be 1/8th birch ply spanning the top and lower spars back and front to give the required support.

If the centre section is left as is I think you would need wing struts to support the wing,the free filght design is now subject to extra stress loads from elevator/aileron control.

Apologies once again if I've jumped in with both feet.

Sorry to be a pain in the butt ,be interesting to see further comments from other builders.

Jim

• Like 1

Boddington's original AMI  plan shows 3mm ply front dihedral brace and 1.5mm rear, but both are deeper - straight across top.   

If both Boddo and Jim Carss say 3mm ( 1/8 ) birch ply then..........

The other consideration is that Boddington shows rubber bands rather than dowel and wing bolt.   That suggests that a further small doubler ( maybe shown?) just in front of wing bolt might be needed.

If ailerons are fitted then it's usual to reduce dihedral a bit so different brace shape would be needed.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

I am building a Mini Super just for something to do.  I am using the OZ plan for the original DB model.

When I looked at the price for a few precut parts I nearly wet myself laughing.

Apart from the strip wood I had enough in my scrap box for most of it plus a couple of sheets from my stock left over from other models

I had one back in the 70s with an ED Racer.  Never did fly it successfully with radio but I was only learning R/C then.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

I am building a Mini Super just for something to do.

The same here Peter. When the expensive cut parts and plan arrived it looked so simple that my first thoughts were how can I make this harder, and more interesting. One day I may learn the error of my ways ?

My aim is to finish it and get onto/back to a more challenging build. Just had a count up and I have three part built and four yet to start. I have been to the Doctors only to be told there is no cure for this particular obsession. That was a relief as I am happy passing my time this way.?

I have learned over the years that if I start on another project before the one that I am working on is finished it NEVER gets finished which is an awful waste of wood and time.

The Mini Super is just so I go up to the workshop for a couple of hours a day at least.

I do plan to do  a fancy colour scheme on it anyway.

22 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

I do plan to do  a fancy colour scheme on it anyway.

I hope there will be pictures. How far have you got?

My wings are just being joined so the fuselage will be next. I forgot Destiny and Minimax from my list that makes nine. I need to visit the Doctors again. ?