YT / ESM Hurricane - Laser 200 in-line twin

I didn't bother to take any in progress shots but I stuck the sheeting on then glassed it and have given it a quick (hand brushed 🥴) coat of paint which I've forced dried with the hot air gun to give it some chance of fuel proofing for Friday!! It will be resprayed later!

Final job gluing the rad on, hopefully I will get to run the engine tomorrow before packing it all away, if not then it's a suck it and see for Friday.

IMG_7953.thumb.jpeg.13cdeac9cb51dc0fc2de745587e3305f.jpeg

• Like 3

Advert

Unfortunately I didn't get to fly it! I went to start it and found that it was only running on one cylinder which I eventually realised was due to a fuel pipe having come off when I fitted the cowl. I>t was later on in the day so I didn't bother removing everything to fix it, there is always another day, and zip ties!

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of an update, having fixed the fuel pipe I took the Hurri out for a flight the week before last. Engine started and ran better than it ever had done (thanks for the repair works Jon) and is a lot quieter too, much they same as the 160 in-line in the Mustang. The only snag was that it was climbing a bit under power, actually more than a bit, it required a lot of forward elevator stick as I had run out of trim. This made low fast passes a bit difficult. I changed the trim options so that I could dial in a lot more and was then able to fly it somewhat better. After getting it back home I decided to add more down thrust but this also meant that to avoid having a front cowl ring that didn't match the spinner I had to angle the cowl down, which meant that the rear edge of etc cowl no longer sits against the formed recess in the fuse. Rather than do anything about it at the time, I decided to wait to see if the added down thrust was OK.

So on to today. First flight up showed that the down thrust added was working fine so, apart from nearly running out of fuel, that flight was a great success. Next flight up and I realised just how quick the Hurri is a WOT, a lot faster than it was before the engine rebuild. So a fast, low, fly by was called and as it flew past there was a quite loud 'bang' and a lot more noise from the engine. I throttled back but had to complete  75% of the circuit without being able to open the throttle by much as the noise was a little bit worrying. Upon landing I found a missing spinner (sheared spinner bolt) and half of one prop blade missing. Obviously  the prop hit the spinner and the noise was the vibration so it was lucky that I chose to keep the throttle low. The good news was that the spinner was spotted landing at the far end of the airfield but on the strip so it was recovered!

I have to say that the Hurri is now on par with the Mustang for both sound and presence in the air! Roll on the next scale day at Old Warden.

• Like 3

As stated above, putting in the extra downthrust meant that the cowl position has now left a gap between it and the fuse join.

IMG_7988.thumb.jpeg.e7c594ed26e59594480beeb59c7bdbbb.jpeg

So I filled that with P38

IMG_7989.thumb.jpeg.55653c1069c030599e4ad221fdb550b8.jpeg

Making sure to cut the join line with a knife just as it was going off

IMG_7990.thumb.jpeg.0090a8d9bb66f4cc5d7d96f21855f38f.jpeg

Just need to let it really harden before sanding / smoothing

IMG_7993.thumb.jpeg.ae86d8276336ec46c1510ea10c510656.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2022 at 09:44, Ron Gray said:

Hmmm, just weighed the Hurri, 8Kg 😲 The later ESM ones (post 2016) were a lot lighter.

Not sure where I got that figure from, just weighed it and it comes out at 9.7Kg! (wing 3.8Kg, fuse 5.9Kg), I did think it was a bit of a porker. Just goes to show how good the Laser 200 inline is!

39 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Not sure where I got that figure from, just weighed it and it comes out at 9.7Kg! (wing 3.8Kg, fuse 5.9Kg), I did think it was a bit of a porker. Just goes to show how good the Laser 200 inline is!

Its funny how some models can handle being a little obese. My DB Hurricane is 23-24lbs and i was worried about the 240 being enough. As it is, i think a 200 would be fine for it as it just seems to float around. The DB Spit is the same way. 

Clearly the YT Hurricane also cares not for its weight. 

10 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Explains why it tends to run on when landing, but good for scale looks though!

Runs on because?

• Just due to its mass
  • As its heavy, it has a higher landing speed, but then why doe it "float"
  • Something else?

Just interested as to the reason, cheers

It's not the floating it's the amount of runway it uses up from touch down to stopping. I think that this is due to its mass, not its airspeed as it doesn't appear to be coming in that fast, the fully deployed flaps do slow it down quite a bit, but I do rather like it as, when I get it right (!!!) it really does look scale with its tail up for quite a while. However I now need to really plan my landings a lot more as it can use up most of the tarmac and run off onto the nice short grass so maybe an 'all on grass' landing is called for. I will be trying to perfect this when I get back to flying in the )hopefully) not too distant future.

• 4 weeks later...

I know GG and I really must get around to fitting them. The only problem I found with them on my earlier model was that, due to their angle when down, they don't half pull the nose down so required an up elevator mix. I have thought about some way of making them rotate as the wheels go up / down but haven't thought it through in enough detail yet!

Other things I need to fit are the aerial and the rear view mirror!