Prolific builders how do you do it?

Every club has someone who is continually bringing out new models they've built, yet seems to live a normal life with a job, or if retired, other commitments, interests, family, etc.

This isn't necessarily about having a fantastic workshop, masses of spare time or an amazingly understanding wife, so how about sharing what you do differently to get those models made? 

Do you get up early, make sure you spend an hour every day building or plan out the build before you start?   Please share your secrets!

Advert

I forget who said this, but it was great advice. If you stick one piece of wood on a day, it will get done.

I rarely spend more than half and hour at a time in the 'shop, and things seem to move on quite quickly. I do think about what I'm going to do in that half an hour though, so I guess I'm quite focussed by the time I get there...

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

I forget who said this, but it was great advice. If you stick one piece of wood on a day, it will get done.

I rarely spend more than half and hour at a time in the 'shop, and things seem to move on quite quickly. I do think about what I'm going to do in that half an hour though, so I guess I'm quite focussed by the time I get there...

In our case its stick one piece of foam

• Haha 1

Let the dog out through the Garage and look at what you are going to do during the day, Breakfast  coffee and toast ( none of that orrible tea )

then a visit to the plane Forums, shower get dressed and off we go,,,

Today another look at the compression of my rebuilt RCV .58 and how I will replace the Rossi .40 in my Gambler with this gutless 'thing', and see

what I can dream up to make on my lathe ( unnecessary ) to use on it, this time to fit on the carburettor, it's going to rain and my Perkins Seafire won't arrive for a couple of days probably Monday so a full 3 days in the garage,,,

that will make around 40 + planes in my garage so where am I going to put the Seafire ?.

Ps, i don't start any builds till 'servicing' and all my builds and repairs are finished.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
Ps

For me, half an hour a day, >50% of days. One job, maybe two if they're small. Pre planned as above. A bit OCD but I make a list of jobs in the project before even starting and just tick them off in sequence, one by one.

Takes an age to actually finish a project, mind. But. As per Abraham Lincoln "I walk slowly but I never move backward."