why do I need

tiny-james

So, at the weekend I wrote to the RC Shop I bought my glider from asking advice for a Transmitter and the two radio's I suggested was rejected.

The shop says I need a 4 in 1 Radio Transmitter. So, my question is why do I need a 4 in 1 model TX 

the following radio's where suggested

Don't buy radiolink - you'll find its instantly not what you want. Get something with a 4in1 module. 
Radiomaster Zorro
Radiomaster TX16S
Jumper T-Pro

one of the above.

Would someone please explain why I need to buy a 4in1 is it so I don't out grow it if I start adding diffrent Aircraft to my collection ?
All so can I buy a 4in1 for under £60.00

Never even come across a 4in1, had to look it up! I have never heard of any of those radios either. 

What is it you are trying to achieve? If its a standard 4-6 channel model then i would just grab something like a futaba 6k and go from there. If you have a specific requirement for some other functionality you might need something else. 

You say you bought a glider, what type? If you can give more info it would help work out what you realistically need to get the job done. 

If you are a newcomer then you will want to have the same make of Tx as your instructor ( or a compatible one) and also want to learn on the same Mode as the club.    If you buy a Tx on  the common Mode 2 (throttle left ) then if it turns out that your local club is Mode 1 (throttle right) then nobody will be able to grab your Tx in an emergency and they wont be able to let you have a go of their model either!

So check with the local club before buying.    You will also probably want to buy a Tx that has an LCD display, rate switches and several model memories.   The cheap ones sometimes lack these features

I've been flying r/c model aeroplanes for 33 years and instructing for 25 of those years. I've never heard of a 4 in 1 transmitter either. If I were you I'd buy the same make of transmitter as used by the instructors at your club so that they would be compatible when linked together for training sessions. 

If you buy a cheap transmitter,i.e, £100 or less, you may find that it is not suitable for more advanced models. On the other hand, if you buy a mid-priced transmitter which will cost you about £200, you may not get much for it if you loose interest in the hobby.

• Like 1

"4 in 1" is a multi-protocol module, useful if you plan to buy models that come with receivers already installed, which may not otherwise be able to talk to your transmitter.  I believe the Radiomaster TX16 comes with multi protocols already installed (as, probably, the others mentioned by the RC Shop), but you can also buy separate modules which plug into the back of some single-protocol transmitters so that they can work with other protocols.

If you're new to this, you need to be aware that most modern transmitters need to be 'paired' with their receivers, and won't work with other brand receivers.  4-in-1 modules, whether built-in or plug-in, are a way to overcome this restriction.  I would check with your local club and see what brands are popular there, and take their advice.  They'll then be able to help you with setting up your system and, probably, be able to buddy with you for training.

The 4 in 1 module is in the transmitters quoted above and will work with various makes of receivers. This basically means there are 4 types of radio in it.

But they will not work with all receivers because of patents from some of the manufacturers.

I have a Radiomaster TX16S and working with various makes of receivers. 

The one thing that you must look out for, and to be legal, are radios that conform to EU/LBT regulations, presuming you intend to fly in the UK.

There should be a label on the transmitter stating so. EU/LBT = European Union / Listen Before Talk. 

Most club fliers will fly "mode 2". (I don't, I fly mode 1) although generally a transmitter can be changed from 1 to 2 or vis-versa as I did with my TX16S.

You say you have a glider.

Is it a powered glider ?

Are you joining a club?

Try a different shop for advice but expect them, naturally, to only suggest what they sell.

Edit - writing as Alan posted but good advice about contacting your local club.

Edited by John Wagg
  • Like 1

Tiny. Welcome to this hobby. If you want the best chance of success, a competent teacher is the way to go. Quicker, cheaper, less hassle. Clubs a a great source of second hand stuff, and in every club I’ve been in, robbing a club mate is a crime. 
Now, modern systems are very good, and makers many. They all work, but a lot don’t talk to each other. 
If I was presented with a newbie, with a transmitter of a make I don’t know, that won’t bind to my transmitters, and I need to-wade through an instruction PDF, and then internet to adjust something, I would start to wonder why you didn’t consult and turn up with something the club understood. 
Take heed of club advice, they are the ones who will get you going. Also, if the hobby sticks, what to buy now, probably won’t suit long term when you form your own ideas.

A basic 6 channel transmitter will do you for a long time. One observation, make sure, whatever it is, feels nice in your hands, not all transmitters fit all hands. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jonathan W said:

In your original thread, I thought you said that you already have a Spektrum DX8 transmitter. If so, you can use that together with a matching Spektrum receiver. If you will be using flaps, you will need at least a 6 channel receiver.

I do have a unused, still boxed, brand new Spektrum DX8 some where but I can't find it.

I only spotted it in the dinning room in the spring (I've had it for years)

The recommendations from (I assume) RC Hobby seem reasonable, including 2 txs they sell and one they don't.  The Radiomaster Zorro 4in1 looks like the best option - the 16S more so, but it is more expensive.  I also agree with them dissing the cheap 'no name' tx from Amazon that you linked to.  If money is a factor, then I'd knuckle down and find that DX8. (Is there a female available who can have a proper 'girl' look for you? 🙂 )  You'd then only need a DSM2 or DSMX receiver.

Incidentally, the PNP version of the Phoenix does not have stabilization built-in, so if you were relying on that to help you'd have to buy that in addition, or a compatible receiver with it built in.  However, with a DX8 and a competent Club to help you, you shouldn't need it...

Radiomaster TX16S is a great piece of kit - largely because it comes with the hugely flexible OpenTX/EdgeTX system.  It has a built in 4in1 multi-protocol-module, allowing it to bind to many types of receiver, including Spekrum (HH/EFlite BNF planes). 

The Zorro also has OpenTX/EdgeTX (or flavour of) but is shaped more like a game controller.

You can wirelessly link Radiomaster TX's to modern Spektrum TX's I believe, so if your instructor has Spektrum, you're still OK to buddy box.  Youtube is a friend!

But, nothing beats actually feeling a tx, so visit a club.

13 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Radiomaster TX16S is a great piece of kit - largely because it comes with the hugely flexible OpenTX/EdgeTX system.  It has a built in 4in1 multi-protocol-module, allowing it to bind to many types of receiver, including Spekrum (HH/EFlite BNF planes). 

The Zorro also has OpenTX/EdgeTX (or flavour of) but is shaped more like a game controller.

You can wirelessly link Radiomaster TX's to modern Spektrum TX's I believe, so if your instructor has Spektrum, you're still OK to buddy box.  Youtube is a friend!

But, nothing beats actually feeling a tx, so visit a club.

You learn something new every day.