A very unusual fighter plane

Simon Chaddock

That printed P13a has the EDF up the front which is logical  as it apparently exhausts just aft of the landing skid. From what I have seen of the bits there is no 'through' duct. Indeed the manual download suggests that the battery has to go well back to avoid having to add significant tail weight.

As far as I can tell my Depron P13a is so light that the battery will indeed end up in the Cockpit area.

I am actually tempted to buy the STL files if only to what sort of a job it makes. However with STL files it is not at all easy to modify them to include a proper 'through' duct.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The wings on, such as they are!

24554107_LRhWing.JPG.784790d8698c5422787fe9db87b4caaf.JPG

An incredibly 'bluff' leading edge. The sort of thing used on the Whitley bomber and to make matters worse  it is sweptback 60 degrees! About the best you can say it is a lifting body!

So far it is very light, less than 180 g including the EDF and ESC, so I am reasonably confident it will have the thrust to fly but rather less so as to whether it will be controllable even with the benefit of a 'stab' rx!

Elevons next.

The only reason I even contemplated building the Lippisch was that my HP 115 which is almost as extreme aerodynamically actually flies really quite well.

Avatar1.jpg.a3259e4da22e76e4fcaa3ff8bcf01d67.jpg

Although with a similar EDF and all up weight its relatively thin sharp leading edge wing section is more suited to a delta and it has nearly twice the wing area.

I fear the Lippisch will be an aerodynamic step too far.

We shall see.

• Like 5

On a bit further with the elevons fitted and the servo installed.

LemonStab1.JPG.a77d190d25c0c5c5059197777da11819.JPG

Note the Lemon 'stab' rx sitting in its Depron box.

It is easily removable as I know from past experience getting delta elevons to work correctly from the sticks and to react correctly to an external input takes quite a bit 'trial and error' fiddling.

The rudder will also be stab controlled but as a single surface is much easier to set up.

With such short control surface moment arms my confidence is not improved that it will 'controllable' let alone nice to fly! 

With the elevon servos connected the game starts of getting it all to work correctly.

Which eventually it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciy82muNXVo

Apart from setting the 'delta' dip switch on the rx.

The servos had to swop channels on the rx..

They then had to be reversed on the DX6i.

Finally the servos had to be reversed via the rx dip switches.

Slowly getting there. 🙂

• Like 1

Finally organised the battery box si the fin, with the rudder servo could be glued on.

FinOn1.JPG.5c6c17d4f540a198afee8b604063eff7.JPG

The cockpit cut out is actually oversize simply because it also acts as the battery hatch.

BattBox.JPG.2d567122dec9b41975c3907dac5b077f.JPG

Note the battery box (for a 1500mAh 3s) is offset slightly to the right to counter the weight of the ESC on the left..

Still the quite substantial nose skid to do.

It will not be vital for landing but it will be used as a 'hand hold' for launching.

Given it is entirely white Depron it will just a have light 'wash' of acrylic white with some detail picked  out in black to help establish which way up it is!

• Like 5

The Lippisch is now complete.

All white except for black control surfaces and of course the exhaust nozzle.

BlackSurfaces.JPG.3a6e7dac6a30cda54ac864afed0f5b5b.JPG

The substantial nose skin is black to make the underside different.

BlackSkid.JPG.d35bef94e2d8ee9dbd1498e77d63216d.JPG

Working on the principle if you can't see the black skid -  it is inverted!

It weighs 373g (13.1 oz) ready to go. 

No great surprise but its completion has coincided with a forecast of gales and that is after a long(ish) period of extraordinarily calm conditions.

Oh well! I will just have to wait for the right conditions to find out that it is unlikely to fly.

• Like 2

I don’t understand why you are so pessimistic about this one… It is well built and thought out (as with all your model), light enough and not too unconventional in terms of planform. I agree it’s unlikely to be that efficient given the ducking you’ve had to use, but I can’t see any obvious reason why it wouldn’t fly controllably - certainly that 3D printed version seemed to be fine. Be positive!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MattyB said:

I don’t understand why you are so pessimistic about this one… It is well built and thought out (as with all your model), light enough and not too unconventional in terms of planform. I agree it’s unlikely to be that efficient given the ducking you’ve had to use, but I can’t see any obvious reason why it wouldn’t fly controllably - certainly that 3D printed version seemed to be fine. Be positive!

Ducting, not ducking! Ducking will only be needed if my hypothesis is wrong...! 😉

To my surprise it does fly but it did not last very long! 😟

Shortly after the launch it started to wobble in roll. My immediate thought was the roll gyro gain was to high so I decided to land asap.

It kept flying rather fast but the roll wobble made is very difficult to control the direction of flight.

Now the field I fly in has a rugby goal post, just one, and you guessed it the Lippisch hit it hard just off centre.

RugyPole.JPG.cccf1590c793ff7a85015fd917e37c93.JPG

No damage to the EDF or duct, in fact it kept working, and the gyro made a good job of keeping level to allow a soft pancake landing with no further damage however the delicate Depron wing structure did not fare so well.

It does however show the absorption qualities of a hollow Depron structure. There is no other damage. 

Whilst an 8 second long maiden with substantial damage might be considered a failure, the fact it flew more or less controllably means I consider it a success.

In hind sight I am now pretty sure the roll wobble may have been aggravated by too much 'give' in the top tape hinges, particularly as in roll the elevons are huge compared to the size of the wing.

On the rebuild the elevons will be given proper 'pin' hinges. 😉

We live and learn.   

Edited by Simon Chaddock
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, Simon Chaddock said:

...Now the field I fly in has a rugby goal post, just one, and you guessed it the Lippisch hit it hard just off centre.

RugyPole.JPG.cccf1590c793ff7a85015fd917e37c93.JPG

If there had been a forest of posts you'd never have managed to hit one. Next time do a test flight at a rugby club! 😉😁

• Like 2

Congratulations on achieving (more or less) controllable flight with such and odd subject. I'd suggest taping on a fin extension for future test flights to provide a bit more yaw damping, on the basis that that wing shape will give a very strong yaw/roll coupling which could be the main cause of the roll oscillation you were seeing. 

Good luck on the next flight,

Trevor

As high pressure is approaching the UK, = little or no wind, I have pressed on with the repairs.

RugbyRepair2.JPG.aab989491accedfdd5c0941e3fd820c3.JPG

Now complete.

Surprisingly no new Depron added just the existing straightened and glued back in place. It needed a great deal of masking tape strips to hold in all in place whilst the glue dried.

I can guarantee the root wing section is exactly the same but with such bizarre aerodynamics I doubt it will make any difference.

The elevons now have proper acetate pin hinges.

ElevonHinges.JPG.4dd5d4146df194161809e4edc534eb5d.JPG

Much better!

Possible try again tomorrow (Sunday) but only if it is really calm.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Calm in the morning 2 days ago so I tried again.

Better. It actual completed a short circuit and passably under control but, and there is always a but, it does exhibit some tricky characteristics. Go too slow and it just continues to slow down and enter a severe full stall but speed up and it gets very pitch twitchy with a tendency to execute an un commanded dive. Which is exactly what it did and I was not 3 mistakes high!

DamageNose.JPG.5963e0cbb5eb0af9bc986424933d5ddc.JPG

That intake makes a good plough.😲

The sudden stop caused the battery to break free and crush the duct. A view up the exhaust.

DamageDuct.JPG.f35ac3f59fc98064e96365b06048304f.JPG

And as usual everything still worked where it lay!

As the whole airframe was constructed around the completed duct repairs are going to require some serious surgery.

High pressure still lingers around the UK so its a case of press on with the repairs - again!

First cut open the top of the fuselage back to the cockpit and extract the EDF and all damaged parts of the duct.DuctExtract.JPG.863b521ed7ef4b06fda48f92da27076d.JPG

Then it is several hours of 3D printing in LW-PLA! 

Edited by Simon Chaddock

Its not so much tenacity as frustration as it so nearly flies.

The new duct work installed.

NewDuct2.thumb.JPG.d9a5f4a1bbd699c9cd7eaf899a8ab878.JPG

And after much trial and masking tape to hold things whilst the glue dried its all back together.

Repaired.JPG.5a0922bcad0036a5c52435f297c38394.JPG 

It has added a few grams but it is mostly ahead of the CofG which should actually help.

The next calm day. 😉