First taste of the sky

toto

Advert

3 hours ago, toto said:

Oh ye of little faith ...... this weekend is going to be a scorcher ....... I'll need to look out my budgie smugglers. :classic_laugh:

Get yer gear ready

Toto

Dont forget to keep your smuggler clear of the prop.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well .....

The weather forecast is looking fair all week ...... until Saturday that is ..... then there maybe light drizzle.

I believe we will be good for flying but I'll keep my eye on the forecast as the week proceeds and update on Friday. 

There is room for optimism me thinks ....... :classic_biggrin:

I'll check in with my mentor.

Toto

• Like 1

Yes toto

By Saturday the forecast shows high pressure centred over the UK which means light winds and generally clear skies however the air is still being drawn from the north so it will be cold (11/12C), not the balmy 19/20C we had last week end.

Hopefully the winds will be light enough for another try of lightweight Douglas X-3 Stiletto. 

Update .....

Just touched base with my mentor ...... flying off for this weekend as there is a motorcycle race on ....... booooooooo.

But ..... hang on ..... on another much cheerier note ...... we discussed my progress and he reckons ...... I only have some circles, procedure turns and aborted landings to master and I shall more or less be ready to fly solo.

I have already done some procedural turns so not to concerned about that. My aborted landings will be taken care of in my next lesson as I am now achieving actual landings. Things could progress faster than anticipated.

I am also going to get him to put me into some " awkward " attitudes and let me work my way out of them. ( hopefully ) as you never know when you are going to foul up. The focus is on not panicking and achieving a recovery.

So ..... looks like the weekend after next ..... I'm buzzing and can't wait ...... where are my incontinence pads. .....

Toto

• Like 2

Hi Simon ..... our posts crossed there.

I hope you are still able to get some air time with your Douglas X3 - Stilleto as above ..... my chances have been sunk.

Get a few photo's of your model. Always nice to see the image if you are not necessarily knowledgeable on model types.

I hope you have a great weekend and are able to make the most of the weather. 

Safe landings

Toto

30 minutes ago, toto said:

Update .....

Just touched base with my mentor ...... flying off for this weekend as there is a motorcycle race on ....... booooooooo.

But ..... hang on ..... on another much cheerier note ...... we discussed my progress and he reckons ...... I only have some circles, procedure turns and aborted landings to master and I shall more or less be ready to fly solo.

I have already done some procedural turns so not to concerned about that. My aborted landings will be taken care of in my next lesson as I am now achieving actual landings. Things could progress faster than anticipated.

I am also going to get him to put me into some " awkward " attitudes and let me work my way out of them. ( hopefully ) as you never know when you are going to foul up. The focus is on not panicking and achieving a recovery.

So ..... looks like the weekend after next ..... I'm buzzing and can't wait ...... where are my incontinence pads. .....

Toto

Good news toto...

Yes .... short term flying time .... another hold back .....but longer term ..... confirmation of better things to come.

Things are moving well..... about time. .... amazing what a slight change can make..... far more positive outlook than last year. ... finally getting somewhere.

Toto

• Like 3

Here we go again ..... :classic_laugh: flying could be back on at our second site in Penicuik.

to be confirmed tomorrow. Could be on battery duty after all.

this is a grass site but the cubs big wheels will handle it with no issues.

first time I'll have used this site as well so could be interesting.

Toto

• Like 3

It is closer to home...... but not for my mentor. That's why we usually fly at East Fortune. It also has the choice of grass or tarmac.

I'm not fussed either way but it just opens up another opportunity to fly when the bikes are racing.

Happy chappy.

Toto

• Like 3

Batteries ready.

One or two were sitting in the high 90% range from the last charge so did not bother trying to charge them again. 

Eight batteries in all so plenty scope for a good few flights. Hopefully tomorrow it will be a quick practice flight just to get my hand back in and get used to the orientation of the new site. Then .... back onto the main event. A flight with take off's landing and circuits.... then a couple with a mixture of figure eights, procedural turns and a couple of aborted landings and touch and goes ...... that's the plan.

Fingers crossed. Clean flights and no mishaps.

Toto

• Like 4

Not sure if anyone's ever mentioned a very important safety related issue.....................Never, ever, say "I'll just have one more flight" - you might just about get away with........ "I'll have another"  "but keep absolutely schtum about uttering "one more flight"!!!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Not sure if anyone's ever mentioned a very important safety related issue.....................Never, ever, say "I'll just have one more flight" - you might just about get away with........ "I'll have another"  "but keep absolutely schtum about uttering "one more flight"!!!!

So, so true!!

Another great day. Four flights in total.

Three take off's and four landings. My mentor did the first take off to demonstrate the intended circuit as this was a new site for me. I took over from there. So .... apart from taking off, some circuits, some procedural turns, I had a couple of attempts at aborted landings which went OK. Had to be told that my initial approach speed was a little too slow though. 

The landings were mostly good ( on grass ) with the last one of the day being the best. Quite happy.

Next session, more of the same but with more procedure turns, some figure eights and some circles.

Coming on great now ...... I smell the possibility of Solo approaching .....

Toto

• Like 7

Forgot to mention ....... there was one dodgy moment. Flying into the sun a bit and lost my orientation. My mentor stepped in to rescue the situation. No issues. 

It does show however that you can fly all the circuits and landings that you like but you are just a second away from a crisis. All good experiences though as you can only learn to cope with it if y9u get into a pickle now and again. My ability to correct myself is usually pretty good though and getting better with less reliance on my mentor.

Here's to next week.

Toto 

• Like 7