Glow plug starter battery

Guys, I have one of the self contained glow plug starters that takes an AA battery. Has anyone got any advice on the best battery to use please?  I have loaded mine with a new  2300mah AA cell from Lidl and fully charged it does not seem to have the grunt to light up a plug for more than a couple of seconds. It glows but quickly fades as if the cell cannot hold the current. I have checked it on 10 plugs in all and they were all the same and tried the other 3 cells from the pack - no different.

Any suggestions appreciated....

I've not seen a glow driver based on an AA battery, I've only come across those designed for sub C size cells. I'd guess the 2300 AAs will just not be able to deliver what a glow element will require - probably one or two amps if the meter on my glow panel can be believed. Presumably you are using rechargeables, so you could try better quality, lower capacity batteries that might perform better, somehow I doubt it.

Personally, I'd get your money back if you can, and go for a driver that works off of a sub C sized battery. Been using them for ages - never a problem.

Edited by Cuban8

Unusual to see an AA battery powered glow stick - they are usually based on a 2/3 A or D size. 

High capacity AA NiMH cells are renowned for their inability to supply high current - you’d probably get better results with something like a 700 mA cell if you can find one!

Was this designed as a glow stick or is it home brewed perhaps?

Edit:  I see C8 beat me to it!

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator

13 minutes ago, Robert Cracknell said:

Don

I have a 2v Cyclon cell and a glow plug clip which also works fine. I just like the thought of no leads to get caught in the prop...!

Use at least one meter of wire on it, or you will blow your plugs as some of them are only 1.5volt.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
t

I use high-capacity sub-C NiMhs. An AA cell will never be able to supply enough oomph for a glow plug. A plug typically draws around 3 amps, and the internal resistance of an AA cell will pretty much guarantee it won't deliver that for more than a few seconds.

sub-Cs are about the minimum for a decent glow, and I've never had an issue using them.

I'm afraid you've been sold a pup!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Cracknell said:

Don

I have a 2v Cyclon cell and a glow plug clip which also works fine. I just like the thought of no leads to get caught in the prop...!

I use one of these to drive two plugs in series on my Laser V twin, no problems starting, I guess a single plug will glow really bright.

Got one of these from my LMS, no problems starting glow engines upto 150 size, but you do need the lead (or charger) to recharge it.

Just now, Frank Skilbeck said:

I use one of these to drive two plugs in series on my Laser V twin, no problems starting, I guess a single plug will glow really bright.

Got one of these from my LMS, no problems starting glow engines upto 150 size, but you do need the lead (or charger) to recharge it.

Cheers Frank. I am just moving to twins, and my fag packet thoughts said a Cyclon cell will do two plugs , but not yet tried it.

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Use at least one meter of wire on it, or you will blow your plugs as some of them are only 1.5volt.

cheers Paul, read post, I use a HD rheostat, and an accurate ammeter. 

4 hours ago, Robert Cracknell said:

Guys, I have one of the self contained glow plug starters that takes an AA battery. Has anyone got any advice on the best battery to use please?  I have loaded mine with a new  2300mah AA cell from Lidl and fully charged it does not seem to have the grunt to light up a plug for more than a couple of seconds. It glows but quickly fades as if the cell cannot hold the current. I have checked it on 10 plugs in all and they were all the same and tried the other 3 cells from the pack - no different.

Any suggestions appreciated....

I have an AA powered glow stick. Works finef for a quick start but I would hazard a guess that your lidle batteries are eifher not charged properly or duff. The AA cells dont last very long compared to a C cell but should get more than a few seconds . Anything above 2000mah and resixtance will build. 

Edited by Engine Doctor

8 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I find it slightly odd that all the adverts for these glowsticks seem to be aimed at a particular 1/10 scale car.  I wonder if they use a glow plug with a lower power requirement than our typical plugs?

Yes, 1/10 scale cars use hot plugs that don't need much current.

13 hours ago, dave windymiller said:

I suspect its designed for a 1.5v non rechargeable battery?  A lithium AA might be able to cope but my vote is for a 2v lead acid

I have a few 1700 mAh lithiuim AA's that have a short circuit discharge current of around 2.5Amps, they might deliver enough to energise a plug - as to the longevity of the battery at that rate is any bodies guess though 🙂

13 hours ago, Robert Cracknell said:

Dave, tried a 1.5v Duracell - no better. Going to ditch it. Already ordered a sub c version.

I think you made the right choice in ditching it and going for a sub-c version, I used one for many years with the added advantage of it having a small analogue meter in the top of the housing so you could see if the plug was drawing current....very useful.

plug driver.jpg