2 or 3mm metal rod - not stainless?

Does anyone know of a source of 2mm or 3mm metal rod? In days of yore, I used to use bicycle spokes, but these days they all seem to be stainless and can't be threaded. The 2mm rods sold by model shops may have a 2mm thread on them, but beyond the threaded area, they are only about 1.7mm and too small to make a 2mm thread!

I'm trying to make a "U" shaped strap to mount something - a bit like we used to make for dustbin silencers in years gone by. Ideally 2mm, but 3mm if I have to. The rod must be bendable and thread-able. I can't even find wire coat hangers any longer!

--

Pete

I haven't built any wheels lately but I'm surprised you can't still buy so-called rustless 14 swg (2mm) spokes.  I still have a lot of spokes but I too only used stainless for my own wheels, and you're right, they can't be tapped.  I have a spoke threader that's probably over 100 years old and produced swaged threads on rustless 14 swg spokes but it won't touch stainless.

Wire coat hangers can be a good source of 2mm diameter mild steel which can easily be threaded.

The trouble with trying to thread the left-over wire from threaded push rods is that the thread has been rolled on from a smaller diameter than 2mm so it will inevitably slip out of a clevis etc. Ask me how I know, but I got away with it.

2 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Wire coat hangers can be a good source of 2mm diameter mild steel which can easily be threaded.

The trouble with trying to thread the left-over wire from threaded push rods is that the thread has been rolled on from a smaller diameter than 2mm so it will inevitably slip out of a clevis etc. Ask me how I know, but I got away with it.

Andy, read the OP :classic_wink:

Not all 2mm rods are pressed threads, unless things have changed I rifled through my parts box a couple of years ago and found some that were threaded on 2mm rod. Having said that it is possible that with the changes in the hobby and less suppliers maybe it might not still be the case. 2mm mild steel rods are however available from some eBay suppliers. Do a search for 2mm mild rods

Hi Pete

I use stainless 2mm cycle spokes... They can be threaded, I use cutting oil with a good quality HSS die, I do have to go carefully but it does work.

If it's just a one or two off give me the dimensions and I'll make you some and send the to you or if not urgent I'll be at Ponty.

Phil

Edited by Outrunner
Typo

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks! I'll follow up on some of them.

Just a couple of comments:

1) I've tried threading stainless steel spokes, and my die couldn't handle it. In any case, my understanding is that stainless is prone to cracking when bent and used in applications where vibration may be present.

2) Fully threaded rod: Might be OK, but I'm not sure how strong it would be after bending and subjected to vibration. Same problem as stainless, but might be OK if I can't get anything else.

3) Welding rod. That sounds promising! IIRC, Jim Morley used it to make the tail booms on his Bell 47 models, so it can clearly tolerate vibration. If it can be threaded, that sounds like a good option.

4) I have seen some black cycle spokes, but it isn't clear if the metal underneath the coating is stainless or not. Might see if I can locate a sample from a local cycle shop.

5) Search the local village pond for a dumped bicycle or pram...! 🤣

If I find anything useful, I'll post a follow-up!

Cheers,

--

Pete

Finally! Found some mild steel 2mm rod on Ebay! Should arrive by the week-end, but unfortunately I'll be away. I'll find out if its any good next week.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

And in case anyone is wondering what its for, I'm making some electric conversions for MicroMold Lark helicopters, and need something to attach the motor mount (3D printed) to the chassis plate.

Cheers,

--

Pete