Hot Glue Gun

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Keith- I did look at that one.

What I was a bit worried was that when I see online videos where someone is using a hot glue gun on a long length of glueing, that, by the time the glue gun has traversed to the end of the long joint, the starting point will have cooled down!

Any practical experience?

I have the Bosch. It works well, however i have noticed on occasion the glue tends to 'foam'. I dont know whether this is the glue stick or temprature of the gun. Also dont put the nozzle directly on the material you are bonding, it will burn through foam etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tosh McCaber said:

Thanks Keith- I did look at that one.

What I was a bit worried was that when I see online videos where someone is using a hot glue gun on a long length of glueing, that, by the time the glue gun has traversed to the end of the long joint, the starting point will have cooled down!

Any practical experience?

I use the Bosch hot glue gun linked above, I've found the long nozzle useful for getting into a fuselage when securing pushrod outers.

I've done foam board joins of 1 metre without problems, it's about being prepared (IE test fold dry and have enough glue stick in) and practice laying down the glue at the right speed.

I had stringing issues with the glue stick it shipped with however the box of Bosch sticks I bought separately have been fine.

I've made a few flight test models with the Bosch and it's worked fine. I know it's a bit more pricey than many others, but I think it's a good quality bit of kit.

Shop around you may find it cheaper elswhere.

I like the nozzle design as you can get glue into tight corners.

When I'm down at the flying field I have the cheapest Glue gun ever.

I picked it up from Hobby King (remember them) and it runs on a 3S lipo and it's ideal for repairs but it would never be any good for those long runs of glue on an FT model.

The Bosch takes the 11mm diameter glue sticks and you can buy them in bulk.

Helpful Hint No. 154  (Removing hotglue from stuff is easy with isopropyl alcohol. It doesn't seem to dissolve the glue but it breaks the glue-bond) You're welcome!

Best wishes

KB

The little cordless Bosch GluePen is also very good and handy for the little jobs away from a mains supply. 

image.thumb.png.28a6d5474de09d84341625b24be264d5.png

https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/gluepen-06032a2070

Prices seem to vary a lot, I picked up mine at a seasonal Amazon sale at less than half the cost they list them for at the moment!

Edited by John Lee
Added cost info.

I have certainly discovered that paying more for these is better. I started with a £10 gun from Hobbycraft, and it was rubbish; it didn't hold enough heat for long enough to pump any reasonable line of glue out. I than bought a £20 gun from Amazon and haven't looked back.

I do think that the size of the sticks used makes a difference. The cheaper gun used 11mm sticks and was simply not man enough for those. The more expensive one uses 7mm sticks and there I think lies the difference.