My Next Assembly ..... The Arising Star.

toto

Sorry Toto - when you said wing dowels I assumed that you were talking about the dowels that locate in the leadeing edge of the wing and then into a plate in the fuselage, for a bolt on wing. I see from your picture that these are wing band dowels. In which case,like Geoff, I don;t glue those in unless absolutely necessary, as it makes it easier to replace them if they break. 

• Like 2

Advert

OK .... the last of the shed work for tonight .....

I stripped back the film .....

P1100974.thumb.JPG.48f38155e7c35d3634826791b70f4aba.JPG

which revealed a little wood filler .....

P1100976.thumb.JPG.465efc0abc0aa1baca9b95eff6326e4b.JPG

mixed up some 30 minute epoxy ..... slapped it on ..... placed the protector thingies .... and cleaned up the little bit that ouzed out ... not much to speak of.

you can feel that epoxy grab the part as you laid them on so no chance of these little parts from sliding or moving.

to be honest ... not quite the progress I thought I'd make tonight but these little tasks take time. especially when stopping to take photo's load them up etc etc.

never mind .... worth it I think.

So thats it for tonight .... time to go into the house ..... get mauled by the dog and have a read over any posts that have came in.

again ..... thanks to all who check in and contribute in whatever way.

much appreciated

toto

• Like 2

Hi Geoff,

just caught your post there. I had suggested hot glue earlier for that very reason but the consensus seems to be to epoxy them in. 

To be honest, in all the crash damage that I have seen via videos etc ..... its very raely that the fuselage seems to take any damage at that location to be fair.

As we know though ....... never say never and that is your unfortunate experience. its always a quandry and a gamble. i have not glued them in as yet so still time to ponder.

many thanks for posting up and I hope you are enjoying my ramblings .....😄

cheers for now

toto

9 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Geoff,

just caught your post there. I had suggested hot glue earlier for that very reason but the consensus seems to be to epoxy them in. 

To be honest, in all the crash damage that I have seen via videos etc ..... its very raely that the fuselage seems to take any damage at that location to be fair.

As we know though ....... never say never and that is your unfortunate experience. its always a quandry and a gamble. i have not glued them in as yet so still time to ponder.

many thanks for posting up and I hope you are enjoying my ramblings .....😄

cheers for now

toto

For me, whether to glue them in depends on how tight a fit they are in the 'oles. As it happens I did the wind band and undercarriage band dowels on my Outlaw today and as they are a squeaky tight fit I didn't glue them. If they were a sopppy fit I would do so. On my first successful trainer, a Uno Wot, I'd cut them a wee bit short and the bands were the very divil to secure, so I added brass tube extensions and those worked well.

Thanks leccyflyer.

One of the tubes is a very tight fit .... the other would not fall out but is not quite as good a fit. Now that we are on the same page ( due to my rather poor explanation , I think that maybe my original thought of a wee bit of hot glue on the inside may be ok just as an extra bit of resistance.

I'm easy either way as I don't see the need for them to ever be taken out. they are not wooden so are not going to rot.

I have until tomorrow to decide before committing so plenty of time to be influenced .....😄

cheers  toto   

I've been building models since the early 1950's & can't remember ever gluing wing dowels in place but for a long time I've rarely build a model that doesn't have the wings glued or bolted in place or plugged onto metal or carbon dowels. The last time I built a model with banded on wings was a cut & try own design around 20 years ago. I modify any that are designed for wing bands to bolt on wings, even including vintage designs.  

• Like 2

Hi PatMc,

All good to know. There a few guys at our club who are the same with reference to modifying bands for screw. They just wont accept bands.

When I started in this hobby ( look for my first post to get a date ) i was a bit determined to try and get the most aesthetically pleasing trainer type that I could ( preferably without bands ) but to be honest, one of my favourite flying trainers that I have used from time to time has bands. It looks like the most beaten up model you could get and the co,our scheme has long since been abandoned. ..... the thing is .... before I went on holiday to Cyprus a few weeks ago, I had 5 flights in the one day with this model and I couldn't believe some of the flying I was achieving with this.

Its changed my outlook entirely hence the reason I have bought another two trainers more or less of the same design .. some with bands and some with screw ...... I couldn't care ...... just want to get them built .... and get them flying.

Thanks for your post kind Sir

Toto

• Like 1

Onto tomorrow's itinerary..... :classic_biggrin:

I'm thinking epoxying the servo hatch in place as the work done on that area tonight so far has been dry fitted. That will let me get the servo fitted the following evening and install the control rods.

I'm also keen to get the rudder and elevator control horns drilled and fitted to enable me to work forward from the rear of the model and start connecting the servos up have been avoiding the landing gear for as long as I can to keep the fuselage in an easy manouvreable state to work on. That luxury is starting to run out. 

It's not so much the main landing gear but the front steering wheel. I need to tie this up to the servo and also start to occupy the various controls in the engine bay prior to the engine install.

So .... you can maybe see the approximate direction that the assembly is travelling in.

As always I'm trying to keep you as up to date as I can to enable some forethought on any comments etc you may want to chip in with.

Feel free to comment whatever your take on it. I cant follow everyone's recommendations but assure you that your comments are appreciated whether adopted or not.

Until tomorrow ...... safe wings

Toto

Good morning RC veterans ....:classic_biggrin:

A day off today to attend a funeral today so should be in the shed sharpish tonight. 

Just thinking of the aileron servo mount. When gluing it down to the wings, it sits on the wing join which is slightly angled. So .... it does not eit flat as such. I was thinking of inserting a couple of very thin slithers of balsa under each side to build it up to the flat a little ....... what's the consensus on that cunning plan. Should I bother or should I rely on the fact that once the servo mount screws bite into the wing, they will do a good enough job ?

Answers on a postcard please.

Cheers

Toto

It really depends whether you are a perfectionist or not. If you are, then you will be happier with a perfect fit and a minimal amount of epoxy. If you're not, you'll be happy with more epoxy and letting that ooze out having filled the small gap. AS you say, once the mounting screws have penetrated the liteply and into the wood beneath it'll be fine.

Thanks chaps.

I'll sit on it until tonight. I think the servo fixing screws will hold it down tight enough , especially with a dollop of epoxy. As you suggest Nigel , a very light sanding just to take a bit of the edge off would not harm it either. 

Just thought I'd get an opinion.

Until later.... cheers

Toto

And ...... we're back in the shed .....

straight into it  ..... and starting off where I left off last night ...... the aileron servo bay ..... I was a bit concerned that the servo mount was rocking on the wing join. My suggestion was a little slither of thin balsa to even it out although some mentioned just a thick layer of epoxy.

P1100979.thumb.JPG.c9e7a14235697273dab495fb57dc0f8c.JPG

here it is .... not the best photo to demonstrate the gap either side of the mount but it is there.

P1100980.thumb.JPG.46b0034e3c38f1beb76bbcbd99434c4c.JPG

ahhhh thats better ..... no ... I've not just passed wind. 

P1100981.thumb.JPG.23ed292970a98248cef471054c55565e.JPG

here is my solution .....

P1100983.thumb.JPG.89f618a2b47f06d8da0847caed2c5781.JPG

glued to the underside of the mount .....

P1100982.thumb.JPG.f42cd66a988a8e0ca0cec7ae5dde0cc9.JPG

then onto the underside of the wing .....

Now happily curing up on the rack whilst I look out the fuselage to start on the elevator and rudder control horns.

be back soon

toto

Hi leccyflyer ...... not quite .... it just seemed an easy fix. 😄

I moved on swiftly .... as you do ..... to the control horns for the elevator and rudder as mentioned above ....

First thing I noticed was this .....

P1100984.thumb.JPG.b1483b9a2dde2cffd3235e13c225991a.JPG

a not so nice looking clevis pin ... so ...... into the bin it went...

P1100985.thumb.JPG.ae900f42f4370ad18784488de8f4b1ad.JPG

and replaced with a nice shiny metal version.

P1100986.thumb.JPG.80b4cdbdda9c572331b8e58757d01dc0.JPG

pre drilled the elevator surface .....

P1100987.thumb.JPG.c1f1fc6b8faefbc55105f3a0fbc5194c.JPG

Robert is your uncle .....

P1100988.thumb.JPG.3a784028975802c1908d0fb558b1561c.JPG

looks ok to me .....

onwards to the Rudder ...... as before binned the plastic clevis .....

P1100989.thumb.JPG.7ff6b2d01167b70efce3bee3103c74a3.JPG

and on with a metal version ......

P1100990.thumb.JPG.dc91d07d37ff702e836b7bcc3dfd163f.JPG

drilled and fitted it ....... another job off the list .....

I am going to revisit the wing and see if the epoxy is anywhere near set enough on the aileron surface mounting bob to let me install the aileron rods .....

I'll report back.

cheers

toto 

Hi philip,

yes these ugly bolt extensions will come off, but not quite yet just in case for ant reason the control horns need to come back off before finishing.

leccyflyer ..... great minds think alike .... I am a clairvoyant ..... distant relative of mystic meg .....😄

Nigel ...... I need to digest what you are saying there ...... I will and come back confirming I understand before too long.

Meanwhile ..... the wing / aileron servo mount was good enough to allow progression with the servo push rods etc..... so as before with the rudder and elevator .....

P1100992.thumb.JPG.2b78e8a8ee4926db0ce2530f3814e38f.JPG

get rid of these ( kept as spares for a very rainy day ) ......

P1100993.thumb.JPG.241abe6318f7999fa788a6b42cbe5015.JPG

and on with these .... shiny fellows .....

P1100995.thumb.JPG.fdf44acd9cb3cae6703172457f4670f6.JPG

But ....it still left me with this ...... ugly mounting plate showing ..... so .....

P1100996.thumb.JPG.0b1f8d7d88bed5f21f35d9a97d2ead4b.JPG

waste not want not ..... some of the leftover wing jointing tape ..... much better .....

i've just been chased by SWMBO for my dinner Haggis , Tatties and Neeps ..... Time to go.

I'll be back later ....

toto

• Like 1

Cheers Toto. I like haggis.  I have a hogget in the freezer, and I’ve not eaten haggis in years. Will make one. Might even invite some French neibours, to challenge palettes. Malt to wash it down, and brains out the window. 

ps. neat work.

Edited by Don Fry
  • Haha 1

Hi Don .... it's the catching of the little blighters. Only ever found on the hillside ..... that's why one front leg and one back leg is shorter than the others .... a distinct advantage.

I dont have it too often ..... maybe once a month as it's one of those dishes you dont want to scunner  yourself with. Always a treat.

Sitting back now letting it go down before returning to the shed for round two .

Toto

17 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Don .... it's the catching of the little blighters. Only ever found on the hillside ..... that's why one front leg and one back leg is shorter than the others .... a distinct advantage.

I dont have it too often ..... maybe once a month as it's one of those dishes you dont want to scunner  yourself with. Always a treat.

Sitting back now letting it go down before returning to the shed for round two .

Toto

Once upon a time I used to go as first mate for a week each year on the RR 54' ferro-cement ketch 'Merlin of Clyde' which had a full-time skipper.  It was used for team training for graduate trainees (it was huge fun - and paid - but I'm not sure if it did any good).  One year there was one girl out of the half dozen trainees and she was unbelievably innocent for a 20 year old but a good sport.  We ended up motoring through the Crinan  canal and we told her to watch out for wild haggis as we went.  She actually believed us. I thought at first she was just going on with the joke but she wasn't.  I eventually told her and felt awful that we'd teased her so much.  Fortunately she took it in good part. 

I'll never forget it. It was 30+ years ago so she's possibly a grandmother now.