My Next Assembly ..... The Arising Star.

toto

A good start to the day .......

I nipped out to the shed to check on my wings and the curing progress of the epoxy ....... all is looking good and thankfully no movement or slippage of any kind during the curing process. 

So ... things are looking great for some further progress later tonight.

I need to order some 2 stroke glow fuel which I have done before in order to replenish the stuff I had used whilst training. I cant rot the life of me remember where I ordered it from. Most suppliers are pick up only but the one I used was happy to send it by courier.

What a hassle for glow fuel.

Toto  

• Like 1

Advert

Hi Toto, servo installation:

The rubber grommet which goes into the slotted hole in the servo. One of the edges is thicker than the other - for no real reason I put the thicker edge at the bottom. Apologies for the poor photo!

sv1.thumb.jpg.39b2df506b0aaf7904e5c953d179533e.jpg

Insert the grommet

sv2.thumb.jpg.0d8e2f7d00d8536f24d779807a4a4a65.jpg

Insert the metal bucket into the underside of the grommet

sv3.thumb.jpg.cde9c85b76f13d549a4c14eb1871b44f.jpg

Place the servo in position and mark the fixing holes

sv4.thumb.jpg.e3d3f4985483520cde898f5bc7542cca.jpg

Drill the holes

sv5.thumb.jpg.6f9c7f745bf7b86d0d1fdc9eb452af54.jpg

and screw in the servo

sv6.thumb.jpg.e831f9f5d990cc4314d707406c63091c.jpg

Attach the servo arm, noting that there is a star washer under the arm fixing screw. Job done! 

sv7.thumb.jpg.245dd7795090f0b9fbd6cf2342a55e59.jpg

GDB

4 minutes ago, toto said:

A good start to the day .......

I nipped out to the shed to check on my wings and the curing progress of the epoxy ....... all is looking good and thankfully no movement or slippage of any kind during the curing process. 

So ... things are looking great for some further progress later tonight.

I need to order some 2 stroke glow fuel which I have done before in order to replenish the stuff I had used whilst training. I cant rot the life of me remember where I ordered it from. Most suppliers are pick up only but the one I used was happy to send it by courier.

What a hassle for glow fuel.

Toto  

It might have been Leeds Model Shop - they are happy to send fuel by courier.

• Like 1

Hi Caveman,

Apologies, I missed your post earlier. Looks very straight forward. A very neat install. 

I'll be app.ying these later tonight amongst my various list of duties. :classic_biggrin:

Thanks again for the time spent uploading photos etc. It all added 5o the simplicity and understanding for anyone viewing later on.

Cheers

Toto 

A quick question,

I reading the destructions with reference to the aileron servo mount, they suggest that once you have drew around the servo mount and removed the film covering, you glue it in place using 6 minute epoxy. ..... sound simple ..... hut then in the illustration ..... it shows CA being used ...... does it matter as I would prefer the quicker setting CA for this task. 

I cant think of any downside to this. 

Cheers

Toto

I have some 5 minute epoxy that has already been used, I'll check that it's still in a useable state and use that. There are also two little overlays that are to be glued onto the trailing edges  .... one each wide of the join which I presume are to protect the wings from the elastic bands. 

It does not say to remove the film prior to gluing these in place but I assume that should happen.

Toto

Edited by toto

The central landing gear makes reference to 3 / 32 holes being drilled for the saddles that keep the landing gear in place ( once I do the drill size conversion to mm ) I take it the holes just need to be as long as the screws themselves ?

Also a touch of CA in the hole to harden to wood a bit ?

Toto

Thanks for that leccyflyer.

Whilst I'm on ...... the fuselage / wing mount holder. I think from memory in this kit is a couple of pieces of aluminium dowel ... not wooden ( I'll double check that ). Regardless of that, do you think there would be any merit in gluing thes in position using a hot glue gun rather than a more permanent glue ?

They shouldn't need to come back back out again but just thought I'd ask.

Cheers

Toto

No worries,

I will have to make up a small amount for the aileron servo mount and the two wing protectors so I can just do the dowels at the same time. I'll be using the 5 minute epoxy for this.

Getting all my questions out for tonight :classic_biggrin:

Thanks again kind Sir.

Think you might struggle to get all that done with one batch of five minute epoxy. Getting the wing dowels correct is pretty important to the rigging of the model in most cases, so the extra working time of 30 minute epoxy helps to ensure that you can get them spot on. 

• Like 2

Hey ..... I'll take that advice any day. 

The wing dowels just really need to be centred properly giving an even protrusion on each side I gather. Seems straight forward but I'll heed your advice anyway. 

I'll go with 30 minute epoxy all round, the servo mount cover may need a little squidging around as well. Let's not take any unnecessary risks at this stage of the game. 

Did I tell you that the missus has cleared out the spare room for when you come up here to Edinburgh to help me set up the engine ..... no ...... oops.

Cheers

Toto

23 minutes ago, toto said:

The wing dowels just really need to be centred properly giving an even protrusion on each side I gather. Seems straight forward but I'll heed your advice anyway. 

I'll go with 30 minute epoxy all round, the servo mount cover may need a little squidging around as well. Let's not take any unnecessary risks at this stage of the game. 

Absolutely no point in using five minute epoxy unless you absolutely have to, for example a field repair (if you really must), the basic rule is that the  longer the set time the stronger the bond and you aren't in any hurry, for really important stuff like undercariage I use epoxy that takes 12 hours to set, basically overnight and then it's a really strong set.

Edited by Philip Lewis 3
Spelling

Hi Philip,

I was really basing it on size and complexity of the task in hand but there is a definite trend coming through on these responses so I have been won over. Again .... the principle that the longer the curing / bonding time, the more reliable the bond also speaks volumes.

I shall banish the 5 minute stuff back into my railway modelling stores and put it out of my mind going forward.

Thanks for all the responses once again.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 2

OK chaps ....... back on track....

so tonight, just to get my head back into things , I thought I'd start out with something easy.

reinstalling the servos with the grommets etc .....

I installed them just as Caveman suggested in his post above. P1100950.thumb.JPG.db677c0d19b54fc4bc7abf7bc87ff29c.JPG

here are 3 out of the 4 victims, the 4th for the aileron I'm not quite ready for yet and didnt want to leave it lying assembled on the work bench until I come to deal with it or you know what happens ...... bits go missing.

and here they are .....

P1100952.thumb.JPG.d7008604a821809c9f2f0d0b34d36389.JPG

you can see what Cavemen means about the thick and the thin part of the servo with the thinner bit placed on top of the screw mount. They can be a bit of a pest to get these rubber grommets in because they are tight. the only thing I can add to cavemans install comments is this .....

On the little bridging piece of the grommet between the top and bottom ..... look carefully as one side has a rounded edge and the other a flat edge. You want to insert the grommet into the servos holder ..... rounded edge first as otherwise you will not get a true fit and ...... you will be in for a bit frustration trying to get them to fit the wrong way around ..... hope this helps someone going forward.

P1100951.thumb.JPG.b7032f968e9d1530cb6314138c9a386f.JPG

another shot with grommets installed ........ and 

P1100953.thumb.JPG.f3e41a96886e772494d2973779f3df34.JPG

screwed in place in the servo tray. not much more to it really. Ready for connecting the servo push rods etc once the rudder and elevator control horns are fitted.

So next ..... I took another easy option ...... Fitting the wing / fuselage hold down bars ...... for lack of a better name.

P1100954.thumb.JPG.a1cbaf5cf04c289dbfe3ea8cc2147319.JPG

cut the holes out of the fuselage sides with a scalpel .....

P1100955.thumb.JPG.53c36484dd59efe7efaa154613356571.JPG

slide the aluminium poles in and they are ready for taking epoxy ..... shortly.

P1100956.thumb.JPG.8cdbce97da4735ad08493cf4170ac3b3.JPG

you can mark the outer edges that come into contact with the fuselage sides so that when you pull them out slightly to add the epoxy, you know where to apply the epoxy and how far to push the poles back in to maintain a nice central position.

Now .... I'm going to jump around a little .... but for good reason...... believe it or not ..... there is actually a plan of action here ..... not much of one ..granted ..... but a small one never the less.

I'm going to move onto the rather magnificent looking wing assembly and mark out both the servo mount thingy and the two leading edge protection pieces which are to protect the trailing edge from interference from the wing holding down bands.

This is so I can mix up some 30 minute epoxy and epoxy the two wing tasks as just mentioned, and the wing holding down poles all at the same time.

So ..... for now .... cheery bye ....... I'll be back

toto

If those dowels are there to take wing holding bands then there's no need to glue them in at all.  Once the wing's fitted with the wing-bands, they aren't going anywhere.  Moreover, if they need to be replaced after an 'incident' then it's the work of a moment.

The last model I built from scratch with the wings held on with bands is my Das Liddle Stik and I've just put some sticky tape on the outer part so I don't lose them in storage. I've had dozens of flights without any problems.

925492165_complete5.thumb.JPG.7cdcc7f92d2068bdd38531c28875a1d9.JPG

The wing fixing dowels are 6mm carbon tube.

• Like 2

Hi John 

wing dowells indeed ..... I keep forgetting the terminology ...😄

Ron, I will do exactly that ..... less potential mess, I'm all for that.

Now ... there is a bit of a post coming up here ..... a photo fest if you like as I am tackling a few of the smaller elements here ..... ok .... deep breath .... lets go.

fuselage up ......

P1100957.thumb.JPG.7de64694e5a62581c05d3cffbff24849.JPG

wings down .....

P1100958.thumb.JPG.8947f38bca62de50d1477fedf0f9cc90.JPG

and here is what we are tackling ....

P1100959.thumb.JPG.933291ec74e8426470471e809e4fabe2.JPG

the aileron servo mount area ....

P1100960.thumb.JPG.17d5877de960e4ffa78a802e7ab785d8.JPG

overlay the mounting plate ....

P1100962.thumb.JPG.75dde962709d1c138efb24a0ff636317.JPG

mark it out and a small cut out for the servo wire to pop through .....

P1100965.thumb.JPG.e543b498f938cf7f6c5fde5479ce66df.JPG

cut out the film with a scalpel .....

P1100964.thumb.JPG.1eb7ace8c6ea4e58a172b97f46afa0d0.JPG

fit the servos through the mounting plate .... after installing the grommets etc as before .....

P1100966.thumb.JPG.513f0fef91a2e146c66ef279917610ab.JPG

drop into the servo hatch  ..... I say drop in but both the servo hatch and the servo mounting plate required a slight trimming to get the servos to fit exactly. To be honest it is hardly worth the mention as we are talking a mere slither of ply.

The servo is not fitted as yet and you will see why next ....

P1100971.thumb.JPG.1705d5412e1fd5bba4e1a0f86777357e.JPG

the above is the wing joint tape , installed to tidy up and hide the wing join.

P1100972.thumb.JPG.59956428db44c2362e5a056aa4a27f78.JPG

now in place reasonably neat with a very small wrinkle there. hardly noticeable ....

P1100973.thumb.JPG.6cf504b07df734b7ea9383eb3b1051dc.JPG

and on the top surface.

Now we have these ......

P1100968.thumb.JPG.91468205842d408d4e3da5c759ae87af.JPG

which go here .....

P1100967.thumb.JPG.c4a4a842f4fc9108b4192cd2e880327d.JPG

like this .....

P1100969.thumb.JPG.17409d575729dc4a9989d21a2e6833a3.JPG

but have a look .....

P1100970.thumb.JPG.ab1210f79fef1018af4eb939a32670ec.JPG

the rear end is bare wood suggesting that this should be a wood to wood join. Not mentioned in the destructions at all. they only show one oicture and leave it up to you if you should strip the film from the trailing edge before gluing....... some might say this is obvious ..... but why not say it ??? just to take any confusion away from potentially a first time assembly project.

so .....that is where I am at for now. I am going to go and mark around the above pieces and trim the film away as that is how I see it being installed  ........ the executive decision has been made ..... how bold of me ..... erm ...... and brave.

be back soon.

cheers

toto.

• Like 1