Wings and Wheels, North Weald

So what was the show like this year?    I didn't bother to go - £16 to get in and the long walk in previous years from car park to show far end put me off!    ( it's much better at shows where the car can be nearby to put purchases in and get a drink out - especially in this heat)

Edited by kc

Much better this year as back to the old layout with car park close to the end of retail tent row. OK nowhere near the number of retailers we had, even just before pandemic but that’s just the way things have gone. And thank goodness the commentary was not the same as we’ve had to put up with over the last few years. Too hot and too windy but beats last year’s cold, wet and windy.

So not brilliant, a lot less crowds, but I did go today when it was forecast to be hot which may have put some off. Oh and I did purchase a foamy, not cheaper than on the ‘net but the same price.

Will I go again next year? Not sure!

2 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Much better this year as back to the old layout with car park close to the end of retail tent row. OK nowhere near the number of retailers we had, even just before pandemic but that’s just the way things have gone. And thank goodness the commentary was not the same as we’ve had to put up with over the last few years. Too hot and too windy but beats last year’s cold, wet and windy.

So not brilliant, a lot less crowds, but I did go today when it was forecast to be hot which may have put some off. Oh and I did purchase a foamy, not cheaper than on the ‘net but the same price.

Went Saturday not been for 5 yrs normal chaos to get in bad traffic management(market?) caused queue back to main roundabout, went into garden centre for an hour for comfort break and walk round, better when came out but still directed past entrance to get in, ignored cones and turned right into show, chaos getting in why prepaid tickets need to queue with others beyond me, also in queue for 10 mins before being told it was card only and I was told should have come earlier as it was quiet (bit my tongue as I would have been an hour earlier if traffic flowed better). Flying was good trade stands as good as expected in the climate. £16 to get in on gate prefered cheaper but it is what it is.

Maybe unlucky with my timing /Queues but as it was no different to last time that would put me off going again.

8 minutes ago, Learner said:

still directed past entrance to get in, ignored cones and turned right into show,

You’re supposed to go past the entrance (hence the cones) to the mini roundabout then back to the entrance! We didn’t have any queues today either to get in or to go through the QR scanning.

4 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

You’re supposed to go past the entrance (hence the cones) to the mini roundabout then back to the entrance! We didn’t have any queues today either to get in or to go through the QR scanning.

It was solid trafic both ways, someone moved the cones to get out so I took advantage and went through the gap. Like I say may have been unlucky with timing but twice is enough and will not be going again unless it improves!

Anybody know who the commentators were? I thought it was good, dont know what happened to Nick? from previous years he wasnt at Weston park either.

We plonked our chairs down on the flightline at 0930 and sat and got crispy until 14:30 when we decided we'd had enough, brought all my bits n bobs went home very Happy.

Beauiful jets from dean coxon and steve Kilbon enjoyed the panic team and Rory Tooley was very good this year. Enjoyed the Stampes Shame the Tigers decided it was too windy but better not to risk it i guess.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

Was it all card only on the gate, or just the queue that you were in?

Brian.

Sorry shoud have said it was cash only at the time I went Luckily I had cash and card so didnt affect me but did the chap infront who had to change queues ,may have been a technical glitch but doesnt help if youve been queuing a while.

Yes £16 is a bit expensive, it might be £20 next year! I bought a ticket online the day before and saved.. £3. I went on Saturday too, getting in late because of the traffic. Good flying displays though, the jets were impressive and almost as noisy as full size ones, always liked the Grumman Panther. I bought some batteries and other bits. The bring & buy seemed chaotic, we waited for so long that people in the Q were swapping models and buying from each other. Don't know why it was so slow, some just gave up or decided to go back later. I don't think I'll bother next year.

Went to the very first show in '86 and usually didn't miss W&W until my taste for model airshows in general began to wane a couple of years ago. Glad that you all had a good time and were spared the racket from the previous commentator who spoiled our experience the last time we went.

Edited by Cuban8

I was hoping to return to WW this year after the covid years to fly but my brother deviously scheduled his wedding to clash! 

On the forecast i saw the weather looked like it was going to be great, so slightly surprised to hear it was blowing a gale. 

14 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

19 hours ago, John Tee said:

Did the bring and buy accept card payment? First model I saw as I approched the start of the slope was £800 plus. Who takes that sort of money to a bring and buy?

John

Everywhere has to accept card payments now, given so many of us are cashless. The last place I spent actual money (the swimming p[ool car park!) has jsut added touchless payemnt to one of their machines, so I basically no longer use real money anywhere. This causes major panic whenever there is a charity event or fete at my daughters school requiring pound coins! 

Not too long ago, me and the wife visited a local model railway exhibition - really good stuff. We needed some refreshment part way through, so bought a couple of coffees and slices of cake from the little stall. Come to about six quid or so. Trouble was, not unreasonably, it was cash only. Neither of us bother with cash very much now, and we'd completely forgotten to bring some real money to the event, other than a tenner for the entrance fee. Couldn't pay, so it was somewhat embarrassing.

They had no choice but to let us off. We did manage to scrape up about four quid from the odd few coins that we remembered later on we kept in the car for parking, so at least they probably broke even when we came back later before going home to hand over what we had.

Was an OK event in general, we camped from Friday through Sunday so no entry issues for us. Personally I preferred Nick commentating than one of the guys that did it this year but understand that's a personal preference. Certainly some excelling flying from all those taking part but was a little disappointed with the night flying, much preferred the chaos of previous years with fireworks, canons and tiny whoops all joining in. It appears to be that some people want a 'Model flying display' and others want an 'Event'.  I'll still go next year I think.

I always take a minimum £20 cash everyhere to use if needed.(the ice cream man was very happy to accept my cash as he was having problems with his payment system)  My wife who does use her card when it suits her refuses to trade with people who will not take cash and would walk away as a protest.

Edited by Learner
Addition

5 minutes ago, Learner said:

I always take a minimum £20 cash everyhere to use if needed.  My wife who does use her card when it suits her refuses to trade with people who will not take cash and would walk away as a protest.

Seems rather pointless for a trader to refuse to take cash - anyone in business really needs to accept payment in as many ways as possible I'd have thought.