Heat Alert

Zflyer

This is not a woke warning as per BBC.

If you use hot glue on your models please bare in mind the heat, especially when left in the car. Clues in the name Hot, last thing you want is to see the component parts fluttering to earth.

Advert

26 minutes ago, Zflyer said:

If you use hot glue on your models please bare in mind the heat, especially when left in the car. Clues in the name Hot, last thing you want is to see the component parts fluttering to earth.

Been there, done that.

Hot glued components in close proximity to a brushless motor decided to soften and part company when the motor had been running a while. Fortunately it was on a bench test so no serious harm done.

36 minutes ago, Zflyer said:

I loathe the Wokeness of the nonsense that's spouted from all sorts of sources these days. However, from personal experience, please don't be fooled into being indifferent over heatstroke or the long term effects of sunburn. I speak from personal experience.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

I loathe the Wokeness of the nonsense that's spouted from all sorts of sources these days. However, from personal experience, please don't be fooled into being indifferent over heatstroke or the long term effects of sunburn. I speak from personal experience.

Spot on advice. The only time we have had an ambulance at our flying field was when I called one after a member collapsed on the flying line. The temperature in high 20s and zero clouds, turned out to be heatstroke and dehydration, he had been digging the garden before he came up to fly.

• Like 1

As a Coastguard I attended a number of heat exhaustion / heatstroke cases on the Pembrokeshire coast path over the years. People do not just collapse, other sign's is a change of behavior like waking off willy nilly in no particular way and not talking much sense.

A steady cooling in shade and sipping of water with a cool soaked cloth wiped on exposed skin [ forehead, forearms ] would get most right in 30 mins. If still bad after that it should be considered heatstroke and a 999 emergency.

A suitable hat is good protection or get a Pith helmet.:classic_biggrin:

Why stop at a pith helmet? Get the whole kit..

D9D78CC0-AFD4-489F-BE5F-8812B6699A03.jpeg.5d9bb330c1c6dce61077c2f76a0c63b0.jpeg

3 hours ago, J D 8 said:

People do not just collapse, other sign's is a change of behaviour like walking off willy nilly in no particular way and not talking much sense.

Our club has got members who do that all year around…. 

Brian.

• Haha 6

I've experienced the hot glue softening issue. Fortunately the fact that the glue can be softened means everything can be put back in place. 

I also loath the way some have got into the habit of dismissing differing views as wokeness because it's a handy, ill defined buzzword they can use without applying any kind of thought outside of their own experience. 

(Post deletion in :3... 2.... 1...)

• Like 1

Its not just hot glue that's an issue.  Epoxy, if not post cured, can go soft with heat, either resulting in joint failure, or the bond resetting in a different position if under light load.  It is for this reason that full-size sailplane manufacturers put repaired components in a hot box at around 80°C for 12 hours or more.