Dress lining polyester as a covering.

Steamup

After almost running out of old stock Solartex during my last build. I swore that I would not put myself in that position again. I looked for an alternative and quickly realised that options are limited. 

I then stumbled on a YouTuber who had used 100% polyester. It shrinks when heated with an iron or heat gun the only problem was how to stick it to the airframe. After some experiments I discovered that Mod Podge applied and allowed to dry would reactive when heat was applied through the polyester via an iron. Shrinking via a heat gun and a couple of coats of 50/50 mix  shrinking dope and thinners does the job ready for a paint scheme. 

IMG_20230724_173632.jpg

• Like 3

Advert

4 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Interesting, I will have a look to see where I can get some, I have some silk dress lining but much too heavy, have you the specifications exact of it and his glue ?.

I do love the Geordie accent,,,

Wow, the lining weight is 60g/m2 so very favourable to Oratex at a fraction of the cost. 

6 hours ago, jeff2wings said:

My powerhouse done in the same, works well easier than nylon and takes less dope to fill the weave 

20211125_172147.thumb.jpg.2a3bb5b9b711001c69456933fb3f6ea9.jpg20220123_124118.thumb.jpg.b1c38081d40bf482fa0b6044e90bfbf9.jpg

Ooh, I picked up a kit from a former club member who has sadly passed away. I aim to get on and build it at some point in the next year or so, will think about using some poly silk or similar:
IMG_20230726_140852.thumb.jpg.faae50e23ca5bfbc2e6995ef1658eebb.jpg

• Like 1

Attached are some photos of my  Frog Zephyr enlarged to 66" span for R/C. It is covered in doped on polyester faux silk over laminating film.

Less dope is required over the film which reduces the amount needed to seal the silk which has a close weave anyway.

Laminating film is used as it comes with a light coating of glue to attach it to the frame. I then heat shrink the film to tighten up to stiffen the frame and take out any wrinkles.

The faux silk is cut oversize and doped directly onto the film using thinned dope. Dope onto the excess material since when it dries, I cut it off leaving about 1/8" excess.  I smear a tiny amount of Impex fast tack onto this excess and press it onto the frame. It wont stick. This is simply to ensure both sides have the smear of tack.  Allow to dry - at least 15 mins, then use a modelling iron to heat and press the material down onto the frame to seal the edges. Another coat of thinned dope (30/70 dope/thinners) just to dirt proof the covering. Any wrinkle can generally be shrunk out with the iron.

I iron - low heat - any wrinkles on the faux silk before using it.  The impex glue is a dress making glue and has a spout to apply it - use a thin pin to pierce the nozzle to minimze the amount applied.  Easier then balsaloc.

One wing of the Zephyr had been covered with doped on white tissue and you can see the difference in translucence

P1060248.JPG

P1060250.JPG

P1060251.JPG

Edited by John Laird
unnecessary picture
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, David perry 1 said:

Have a vintage Falcon project in mind crying out for a nice colourful finish.