Found in a box of bits I was given

KenC

Found this in a box of bits. I presume it is a temperature probe  and its pins and connector wire  seem to be of " servo 3 wire"  style. Not sure how you tell +ve and -ve  as no markings on pins. Does it just connect to a receiver  channel , and is it universally compatible ?    

Any info much appreciated. 

20230729_204503.jpg

The 125degC on the heatshrink may just be the activation temperature for the heatshrink not an indication that it is a temperature sensor. Most temperature probes I have seen only need 2 or 3 wires, not sure why it would have 3 x 3 connectors.

HTB1SKiqdUvMR1JjSZPcq6A1tFXas.thumb.jpg.6df4ec8fc2bc2ab6c4d00b8d7d82dae7.jpg

Edited by PeterF

10 hours ago, KenC said:

PatMc are you saying it is a permanent on once the plug is in and it just runs the servo back and forth full turns cycle ?

He is saying that it might be one, but there again it could be one of many things.

As David said above, removing the heatshrink might give a clue, if anything is printed on the circuit board for example.

Be careful if you are going to try plugging a battery into it though; that 3 x 3 matrix of connector pins means the battery (and servo) connectors could be plugged in four different ways. Only one of those ways would be correct. The other ways might cause damage - two of the possible ways of connecting would probably short-circuit the battery, which would be, er, interesting!

Brian.

Amazed that no one has recognised this thing and come out with a definite answer .

When you look at the close up the pins look to be set out in 3 vertical sets , and if "servo" wired , then the live is central and only the neutral and signal could be reversed .

Edited by KenC

8 minutes ago, KenC said:

Amazed that no one has recognised this thing and come out with a definite answer .

When you look at the close up the pins look to be set out in 3 vertical sets , and if "servo" wired , then the live is central and only the neutral and signal could be reversed .

Thats correct and I cant see a way of easily damaging the device itself  unless one really tried.  However, unless that heatshrink is removed the only way this thing will be identfied is by someone recognising it because they also have  / had one.

It's odd that an input isn't clearly identified...then i might think servo slow or somesuch but as it is, its a puzzle.  Certainly, no harm will come from skinning the beast.

David, part of me says gut it and show its innards ! 

The other part says , no leave it and wait for Moses to open the way ....

Whats skitso  when there are 3 parts, because the last part says , taunt them a bit longer because it seems a good puzzle.

Yes I have studied it closely and with my deep electronics background and knowledge I can state that it was most probably built in June 2013 .... beyond that WTF !  Why do the myriad of bits and bobs all culminate in a four pin line on the rear of the board that seems unused ?

The STM8S003F3, if I have read it correctly, is a timer chip. It looks like it had a flying lead to connect to the receiver, which is no longer there at the top of the board with signal, positive and negative from left to right respectively. The signal connects to channel 13 which is a timer I/O. My guess as to what it does is that it is a retract timer with three servos activated at different times dependent on the program the chip is running.

What next fit a lead and three servos and see what happens, probably nothing if its a failed device which had its rx connecting lead removed.

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks EarlyBird  for the info, however I am sadly still confused as if you connect three servos to the available 9 pins, where does the power go , and what instigates the command ?    Slowly now for the simple kids please !

The ST chip is actually a whole microcontroller, or CPU.

This widget could be doing anything.

Might be a mixer. Or a door sequencer. Or a reverser. Or a tester.

Or then again, it could spell out 'sausages' using morse code if you connect an LED to one of those plugs.

Edited by Nigel R

The 8S003F3 IC is a microcontroller with flash memory. This would have been programmed by the manufacturer for whatever purpose the board is intended for.

The small IC with five legs to the right of the uP is a voltage regulator, to provide (say) the 3.3V that the uP needs from the input supply.

The fact that the heatshrink appeared to be closed at the opposite end of the board to the connectors, and lack of signs of solder around any of the four holes in the board, suggests that the four holes were not used in this version of whatever it is.

The row of pins closest to the board look like they connect to the ground of the board, which would make those the negative pins. The middle row would be positive (assuming normal servo connections) and the uppermost row would be the signal pins. All three of these appear to connect to the uP via separate 470 ohm (471) resistors. I can’t quite make out the connections to the  10k ohm (103) resistors.

As Nigel has just said (posts crossed), the board could be for anything. It might not necessarily be a servo controller of some kind at all, as servo connectors are also used for other signals such as S-Bus, telemetry and LED lights for example.

Just out of interest Ken, could you post a photo of the other side of the board please?

Brian.