Top RC bf109 mode 1

8 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Rich, I bought a Seagull Chipmunk cost about £300 at the time after a few flights one undercarriage leg pulled out, on on examination the mount was some laser cut ply all interlocking parts which had been assembled without glue, the assembly had then been put in the wing and a blob of glue held it in. I glued it up and refitted it, end of story. No hassle trying to get in touch with supplieers messing with posting and packing. 

Yes I know it should have been put right in the first place but most of these things are chucked together on a production line where turnover is more important than quality.

A dab of Uhu por glue will fix it. Don't use normal Uhu

Obviously no mention of glue in the instructions as the mounting is inaccessible . When it pulled out it ripped the covering and the sheeting on the lower wing, I had some oracover the matching colour and some 1/16" balsa so I repaired it myself, it was ready for the next day. I did not report it as other users of the same model are happy with theirs.

• Like 1

Lucky escape Eric.

Perhaps a "Black Museum" or somesuch title thread could be started where "clangers" can be highlighted on new stuff, to inform fellow modellers before they part with thier hard earned cash ?

This might save a crash or close shave and possibly £'s....

What does admin think about this. Better than a report of an accident after the event, for forewarned etc...

Proactive rather than reactive...

Anything manufactured in a series can turn out faulty. What is the point in a thread that says I bought a Wizzkits Super looper 3000 and it was faulty? There's no guarantee that someone else's kit of the same model is faulty and all you are doing is polluting the forum with nonsense. All of us in the UK have legislation to help us as consumers if we buy a pup. Of course, as many have been telling the OP, you could always fix your faulty model with one drop of glue and spare us all. Or perhaps just get a refund and get a less demanding hobby? 

Edited by Alan Gorham_
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Lucky escape Eric.

Perhaps a "Black Museum" or somesuch title thread could be started where "clangers" can be highlighted on new stuff, to inform fellow modellers before they part with thier hard earned cash ?

What does admin think about this. Better than a report of an accident after the event, for forewarned etc...

This mods thinks, we don't need another thread. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Off topic, but relevant? Had a motion RC P38 and after flying it a few times in a scale way stumbled across a chap that crashed his on the maiden (Youtube). I did think a vertical climb and hard pull over the top (IIRC) was unscale, but each to their own. There were quite few negative comments and I sort of lost interest as it was a elevator horn failure, but that could have occurred as it decelerated vertically into the ground.

Flew the model and it oddly needed quite a bit of trim (missed the significance of that!), then second flight (still nice and scale!) it plunged into a big hawthorn hedge with all leading surfaces extensively damaged and the elevator control horn detached. The point here is that on closer inspection there was next to no glue so it was a batch failure.

Might not always be relevant posting, but I might help someone else out

48 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Lucky escape Eric.

We have a sub heading for incident reports.   Nothing to stop anyone creating a topic in there.  Just keep it factual and don’t speculate about the supplier.