The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

Advert

On 15/06/2023 at 21:49, Eric Robson said:

Richard have you become a they?

I have been flying my Brian Taylor 65" span 

P40 this week, careful balsa selection and skimpy paintwork brings it out at 6lb 12 oz 5s battery is 23 oz, to fly it at scale speed 1/4 to 1/2 throttle is the norm. It has air retracts,  not scale but straight back, very little wheel showing when up. Not sure what the motor is it has a label on stating 55 ce 700kv, I had it given. The plane would fly on a 4s I feel as it is overpowered as is, I will try it on a 4s next time out but will have to move the battery forward. 

20230612_112611.jpg

Whatever every one reckons, a full spec for the bungee launcher, list of parts, diagrams for the illiterate, and everyone is happy. Addendum to the instructions.

I would like a Zero, low flat out straffing beat up of the patch,  yaatakayacatakkeryakatakka, 7 again.

55 inch, no undercarriage for me, under 4 lbs please thank you. Wot a 1/8 scale makes it 58 inches.

Edited by Don Fry
Being picky. And pickier.

Nice one Richard, with all the "experience" gained with my very porky under powered Vulcan 69 inch at 12lbs on pusher props I think Ill avoid any sort of ramp/bungee and go for the hand launch with gyro/safe as an option. If I can get my SU47 then something with a prop on the front must be easier!

I have an Arrows T33 and that under arm launches ok...once you know the technique.

image.thumb.png.8d0ac0cfa5dc3122685f3405cb29d08a.png

PS 40 m of bungee at 25kg gets her away! 

• Like 1

Zero/Hellcat

FW190/Tempest

All this talk of blue foam and brown paper reminds me how we built 12th scale combat planes which ranged from 34" - 44" WS powered by .15 or .25 glows. Carbon tow or G/F reinforced packing tape under the brown paper to act as stressed spars should be light and strong enough. Tail - balsa or two sheets of 3mm depron, carbon spa covered in BP should do.

Does anyone on here remember the old Mainly Models kits, i built there Hurricane years ago and have the Hellcat kit here to do, Blue Foam sections for the fuz, glue them together, Blue foam wings, balsa tail and fin. Brown paper PVA covering........Simples, quick build, very rugged, they flew on a 3s, scale up slightly if required for this range on 4s sounds good. If you want to see how these were supplied as a kit i will drag the Hellcat box out and photo the contents.

3 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

I stand to be corrected but every Typhoon/Tempest model i have seen has needed a church roof of lead to get it to balance due to the short nose, if that is the subject chosen it will need thinking out to get it to balance without lead as the whole point is to have something that has a light wing loading for launching.

Hi Martin , you dont need to shell out to join the gang . Im sure we are all happy to have you on board with your wildcat . I might have a super duper 109 for you at some point in the future anyway . Ive got Paul Johnson wound up on it .  

Your right about the Typhoon for sure . When we first introduced the 190A and Tempest , we had to lengthen the noses as people were putting plain bearing 40s in them .

But with 4s packs slid down the front and lighter radio we can do quite well on both of these short nosed prototypes . 

You are correct in general though . When people insist on a typhoon rather than Tempest or Sea Fury , I say Good luck mate !

Was it Bill Manley  at Mainley models ? I met him somewhere at a show (maybe next door to him ) Very nice chap . 

109 sounds good Richard, you know i have a soft spot for those, again down to the multitude of colour schemes to choose from. Would like to support you in terms of buying one of the kits as the more sold the more chance of other models which may be more attractive to me being added, particularly as once flying if keenly priced, quick to build, cheap electric components and easy to hand launch each of us may be able to persuade other members in our club to buy one. I usually take a stall at the Buckminster swap meets and have no problem in sticking some of your kits on the table FOC with one i have assembled as a taster to prospective buyers, anything to help you shift a few more kits to keep us keen WW2 scale builders happy by having someone who listens to what we want and then being able to offer it.

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 2

Was it not Barry at Mainly Models in Hitchin (nice guy, just didn't like customers, well the ones that picked his brains and then went and bought else where, helped me loads).

I thought Bill Manley was the chap at Bill Kits (make me a couple of veneer foam core wings, nice chap), could be wrong though

PS FW190 and a Zero

Edited by Chris Walby

46 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Hi Martin , you dont need to shell out to join the gang . Im sure we are all happy to have you on board with your wildcat . I might have a super duper 109 for you at some point in the future anyway . Ive got Paul Johnson wound up on it .  

Your right about the Typhoon for sure . When we first introduced the 190A and Tempest , we had to lengthen the noses as people were putting plain bearing 40s in them .

But with 4s packs slid down the front and lighter radio we can do quite well on both of these short nosed prototypes . 

You are correct in general though . When people insist on a typhoon rather than Tempest or Sea Fury , I say Good luck mate !

Was it Bill Manley  at Mainley models ? I met him somewhere at a show (maybe next door to him ) Very nice chap . 

Yup, all of my Dynam Hurricane, E=Flite P-47 and FMS Typhoon, which are all short nosed, definitely benefit from the 4s1p 3300mah pack as far forward as possible. The Typhoon though did require a load of lead in addition. Angled battery trays can make for a shorter battery hatch needed and get the useful battery weight as far forward as possible.

I've been following this thread with interest so now must join in. I already have Richard's Yak and Spitfire and in the past tried to persuade him to do a mosquito!!😎

That does not look likely, so  190 it must be, the Typhoon would be different but balance always requires lots of lead.

As for handlaunching I am left handed, so model in left hand, throttle up right hand ready on the sticks couldn't be easier.

I've tried dolly launching, even one with receiver on rudder control also 4" gutter with a dolly which works quite well as long as the angle is not too steep.

The problem with the 190 is that the fuse is quite fat so hand launching solo could be a problem, I have the 190 funfighter hence the trials of various dollys.

1 hour ago, martin collins 1 said:

I stand to be corrected but every Typhoon/Tempest model i have seen has needed a church roof of lead to get it to balance due to the short nose, if that is the subject chosen it will need thinking out to get it to balance without lead as the whole point is to have something that has a light wing loading for launching.

Not so. I built a Brian Taylor Typhoon. It had a OS 120 pumper, fuel tank over the engine, radio batteries, and servos in the cheeks alongside  the tank and engine, isolated from the fuel, and heat, and watched the weight aft of the CG. It needed tail weight. Not much, but nose light.
Mind it was my second Typhoon, first was tail light, hence the learning curve. Modern leccy setups, easy, it’s a big cowl, fill the thing with weight. 

Glenn, my Balsacraft FW190 goes off the dolly good as gold. I think the mistake a lot of folks make with dollies is to make them too tall and with four small wheels and I've also seen examples that must weigh nearly as much as the model, with pram wheels! There's no reason the wheels need be any larger than normal model wheels that have been shown to operate successfully from the field.

kevdolly4.jpg

• Like 2

The full sized Tempest has a longer nose than the Typhoon ,  so its actually Sea Fury dimensions with more span . They dont have massive balance issues like Typhoon . 

If you look at the full size Typhoon , the exhaust stacks end over the wing ! That shows how heavy that motor is . Well , two flat twelves chained together !

Put in a fourstroke single and you have no chance of balance unless you make the fuselage  out of fairy dust . 

Ive just run out of my supply of that  and in this PC world I'm frightened to ask for some more . 

• Haha 1