Self supporting set squares for kit building

toto

I was having a hunt on the net for 123 builders blocks and stumbled across these which I had also seen being used in a how to video on utube where the model builder used both the 123 blocks and these self supporting set squares to great use.

P1110556.thumb.JPG.a9dba2489513f901d8b08f022634f025.JPG

they appear very accurately made and of decent quality steel. 

P1110557.thumb.JPG.7cdf486a7a90679e416ed42f21cbe41a.JPG

they will come in very handy for assisting in keeping surfaces true in kit builds as will the 123 blocks that I bought. they should be here tomorrow.

toto

Advert

Look good.

In addition to squares I make great use of Lego bricks to construct various jigs to try to keep things nice and square. They are particularly nice to use with wing ribs, as they can bot keep the ribs plumb and physically support them whilst the glue grabs.

outlawwing2.thumb.jpg.893f2a6952cfda52198408a308d77433.jpg

• Like 1

So ..... part two of my kit building tool delivery .....

P1110558.thumb.JPG.9b96e1bac380fef151cfa56b1c35352a.JPG

very handy 1 2 3 blocks. You don't want to drop one of these on your toes .... no way.

P1110559.thumb.JPG.02da85ca61411273143a1f13a1af5ab6.JPG

I'm thinking fuselage building here. holding the sides upright and square ......

P1110560.thumb.JPG.13aad27016f1408591f5b6cf66148f1e.JPG

and a slightly better idea of scale up against my computer moose. Albeit ..... the scale is in the name 1 2 3 ( inches ) blocks. Duhhhh

They come in pairs so I bought 3 pairs giving me six in total. I have other engineers squares, micrometers, clamps and various other handy tools for this kind of thing. these blocks though are so simple by design and accurately square surfaces. Quick and easy to use and move about all you want. I like simples.

toto

Thank God for the last photo. Now I’m baking in the heat, have resorted to Champagne to cool off, have eaten Buddha bowls, dread the result,  and thrown myself in the river. But I was thinking, “ what is this idiot doing with wine racks to build aircraft.” Apologies over the ether Toto. 

• Haha 1

Hi toto,

May I ask please, the 123 blocks, a wurth product, might you have the product number please ?

Leccy, Lego, good thinking, what do you fill the voids with the make them heavier, or do you place a weight on top of a stack please ?

I only have two engineering vee blocks...

33 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi toto,

May I ask please, the 123 blocks, a wurth product, might you have the product number please ?

Leccy, Lego, good thinking, what do you fill the voids with the make them heavier, or do you place a weight on top of a stack please ?

No need to make the Lego bricks heavier, they do the job just fine as they are. As they are set up to be perfectly square you can also use them round corners - such as where there is a quadrant fillet on a tailplane where the fin meets the fuselage top, or just the fuselage side makes it impossible to use a square. You just build a structure offset by the amount of the obstruction, so that the base sits on the tailplane and the upper, offset part lines up against the fin. Easier to do than to describe.

IMG_1891.thumb.JPEG.0f9cac124300c715a4c9903d84c637a2.JPEG

53 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

When I want to fill a void, I use steel shot, doll makers sell it, and mix with epoxy. If you want to bother with lead, gunsmiths use fine lead shot. 

They used to make them 15 klm from me, for 12 bore cartridges, and now and again I used to 'visit' them and scrounge a few, sadly they closed down 8 years ago, it was fascinating watching them make them with old frying pans.

1 hour ago, leccyflyer said:

No need to make the Lego bricks heavier, they do the job just fine as they are. As they are set up to be perfectly square you can also use them round corners - such as where there is a quadrant fillet on a tailplane where the fin meets the fuselage top, or just the fuselage side makes it impossible to use a square. You just build a structure offset by the amount of the obstruction, so that the base sits on the tailplane and the upper, offset part lines up against the fin. Easier to do than to describe.

IMG_1891.thumb.JPEG.0f9cac124300c715a4c9903d84c637a2.JPEG

Never had any Lego - I'm too old and childless as well - my thing was Meccano and I had a huge set I think my father had acquired over the years. My oldest half-brother has it stowed away somewhere, I think.  However, that Lego structure looks very useful.  I check fin/tailplane angle with a big plastic set square with the right-angled corner cut off to bridge round the fuselage but it doesn't support like the Lego blocks do

I sort of agree with the comments with regards to the SLEC jig and had ( still am ) pondering one. I can also see the benefit of building off a plan as well though and for that, both the tools highlighted above come into their own for various reasons.

I will look up the video build I was watching where I discovered both these products because as well as highlighting the products in use, it was a very good video from a tutorial point of view ..... more so for those " about to give it a go ".

Cheers

Toto

27 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

Never had any Lego - I'm too old and childless as well - my thing was Meccano and I had a huge set I think my father had acquired over the years. My oldest half-brother has it stowed away somewhere, I think.  However, that Lego structure looks very useful.  I check fin/tailplane angle with a big plastic set square with the right-angled corner cut off to bridge round the fuselage but it doesn't support like the Lego blocks do

That photo is just  grabbed, whilst in progress - whilst actually gluing the fin has one of those on each side. I do have one of those modified set squares somewhere, which would work for the quadrant. but in this case it wouldn't clear the pushrod and fuselage side. 

Using the Lego bricks for wing rib supports, you can put a couple of bricks each side of the rib, where it meets the spar and trap the rib between them, with another couple of bricks where the rib meets the trailing edge. That keeps everything lovely and square over the plan.

Charity shops are a good source of just a few basic Lego bricks - all mine are salvaged from the gigantic collection that my boy had when he was little - he also used them extensively when he built his first scale flying model, a Peter Rake Fokker Eindekker. 

DSCN2806.thumb.JPG.d1c2e34ad09a3e035de212d8e2fad32f.JPG

DSCN3007.thumb.JPG.ccd0bfabdb0531da446dc66ea0ec4c5f.JPG

IMG_2519.thumb.JPG.55ef85183ae6370a1bbd1513f1667e0f.JPG

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi toto,

Hi Rich

The only details that I can find ( from my order ) as are follows

Manufacturer ..... WEN

Part and Item model no ...... 10423

I hope this is of help.

I need to learn how to attach links. If I can get a grip of this once on my PC in the shed, I'll create a product link and post it up later.

Toto

Thanks toto and eb, 30 quid or so, mmmmmm

Lego and angle iron ....

The quality of skip contents has really dropped over the years.....

If your thinking of getting a jig, get the MDF from you know where, get the plastic angles and set screws/captive nuts from you know where, get a new pencil and long steel ruler or similar.

You will have a drill and drill/centre pop.

Anything made on a jig will only be as "accurate" as the jig and the person using it.

Worth having though !