Foam versus Built-Up Wings

Nigel Heather

10 hours ago, Nigel R said:

Very little in it.

Caveat that with "with good quality" for both of them. 

You could have really heavy wood for built up, or use loads of glue on a foam wing...

I agree, it may depend on the type and density of the foam, type of wood veneer ( obeche or balsa) glue type and finish (film, glass/epoxy or paint).

I have built a couple of models with brown paper/PVA covering reinforced with carbon fibre strips. Very strong, stiff and light but I don’t know how the weight would have compared with a fully built up structure. I would say the build time is comparable too. I think I will definitely build more wings like this in future. I like it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

I’m looking at a Wot4 and considering whether to go Classic (kit with veneered foam wings) or ARTF which I assume has built up wings.

Can’t compare the weight because it doesn’t appear to be listed for the ARTF.

I have quite a lot of experience with WOT 4's and they are all good. Having built a couple of mk3 kits in recent years I would hesitate to recommend them now. Both had issues with the wing veneer splitting like crazy 🤪 I suspect a change in supplier or poor quality has crept in

• Like 2

Old foam wings used to be very heavy because of the glue used on the veneer. This is less of a problem these days. 

I like foam wings as they are quick to build, tough, and quite easy to repair. They are also good for deadening vibration and noise. 

• Like 1

I guess the foaming glues (gorilla) make all the difference there?

8 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

I would say the build time is comparable too.

With a regular sport model, I found the build time is less for a foam wing, by a few hours. If you're adding a lot of hardware (retracts, etc) that advantage diminishes a bit. These days I don't mind a few hours making wing ribs and cutting some spars.

Time aside, using foam wings gives a reasonable guarantee of accuracy, especially for novice builders. Can't overlook that.

Way back when, they were also a plus for kit manufacturers. Foam was cheap, veneer was cheap, having a pre-rolled wing made the kit "quick build", of course now ARTF is here nobody cares about "quick build".

• Like 1

You can just sand the wood well with fine sandpaper and cover as normal, the finish may be not quite as good as balsa due the the more prominent grain. I did read an interesting article on glider wings regarding the efficiency of the wings with no sheeting, D box sheeting and a fully sheeted wing. The article found the fully sheeted wing to be more efficient as the covering maintained the profile of the wing and did not sag between the ribs. I wonder if this was found on the early Hurricanes that had a fabric wing that was later changed to fully skinned wing. Corsairs also had the same evolution.