Code of Conduct - time for a tweak?

MattyB

Given some recent issues in this forum (triggered by a member whose ID I'm sure most of you can guess), I did find myself looking at the CoC earlier this week. For reference, here it is:

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/code-conduct/

Whilst it's always previously been fit for purpose, on the basis of recent experience I do wonder if it could now do with a tweak.

Although the CoC makes clear impersonation of others is not allowed and emphasises that posts should be factually accurate, it does not say anything about members deliberately misrepresenting themselves or their experience/knowledge. When it was written I'm sure that scenario would never have been discussed - after all, why would someone, say, claim to be a beginner when in fact they'd been involved with modelling for decades? However, that has now happened and it's clear it's caused some disquiet amongst forumites and additional work for the mods, so a tweak to the CoC to address the possibility might be useful.

I've suggested a simple addition after the "no impersonation" requirement as a starting point; see below...

"...

Impersonating other members. This is strictly forbidden, as is using another member’s postings or opinions on other forums without their prior permission. Neither should other posts be altered and reposted as a means of reply.

Misrepresenting yourself and/or your experience. Members don't need to use their full name as a forum ID, but please don't misrepresent yourself (e.g. by inventing a persona in a different part of the world) or your flying experience (e.g. by claiming to be a experienced pilot when actually you are a beginner). Doing so makes it harder for members to be confident in the advice they receive via the forum.

..."

What do people think? Would this be a worthwhile addition, or do we think what happened is a one-off that will never occur again?

@Martin Harris - Moderator@john stones 1 - Moderator@David Ashby - Moderator

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advert

I'm inclined to think that this particular instance was a one off and I don;t recall seeing someone attempting to pass themselves off as a beginner before. In this case it was clearly for the sake of trolling, with the obvious issues and Quixotic jousting against what was perceived as the more organised side of the hobby. I suspect that might have been due to a brush with "authority", such as a club, in the past.

I think a larger problem, which might have to be addressed eventually is the emergence of CHAT GPT and AI based content being posted in reply to legitimate questions raised by members. That has certainly exploded on other fora, which is irritating, but also has implications where the "advice" given is simply wrong, or even potentially dangerous.

I'm sure that we've all come across the "club expert", who never flies, hasn't flown for years, is decades out of date in their understanding and who often latches on to beginners especially imparting what to the beginner looks like authorative, helpful advice but which is often completely wrong and sometimes even harmful. Sadly such "experts" are not confined to club fields, but also have an internet presence, passing off second hand information, often beyond their ken and unfortunately tools such as Chat GPT provide yet another avenue for such individuals to practice their peculiar hobby. The AI issue appears to be dominated by Bots and Spiders, without a real live human being at the helm, but cdrtainly RCG is having to ban several of these per week at the moment. It's unfortunate that folks are taken in by these imposters, especially since beginners are such easy prey.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

I think that's the point Alan, self policing is, imo, the best option and has worked quite well on this forum and also relieves some of the pressure on Mods to do the work.

I agree in the main - self policing is likely to be more effective in most cases where behaviour is spotted by forum members. However, giving the mods a specific clause in the CoC to lean on doesn't do any harm IMO.

Despite members here pointing out the holes in his story, the individual here claimed he was a beginner for ~9 months and never rowed back on that. As worded today that kind of behaviour is not a breach of the CoC, which does make it less straightforward for the mods than if it were a clear breach of the CoC from the outset. Remember that whilst it was members that spotted it, the only people who can actually take action are the mods.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Thanks Matty, I do appreciate your thoughts. 

The member you refer to has now been permanently banned. His last post was entirely my fault as, in a moment of thoughtlessness, I let it through when I really shouldn't have. It has since been removed. 

I've been admin and/or moderating here since early 2007, just after the site started, and while we've certainly seen a few trouble makers over the years, instances like this are pretty rare. But we should keep the COC relevant, updating where necessary. 

I'll have a think and see what others say here for a few days. 

One thing we (your mods) have certainly noticed is how the forum has begun to self-moderate over the last year or so. That's really nice to see, perhaps a sign of its maturity and the value people attach to the community. People are far less likely to be silly if they know there's a good chance they'll have their hat put on straight by other users. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, kevin b said:

I think a clarification of what this is all about is required from the mods.

If only to prevent an escalation of rumours and half truths.

I think everything has been covered that needs to be tbh Kevin - a member (now banned) pretended to be a beginner for a period of 9 months, and having re-read the CoC it became clear that (understandably) it hadn't been designed to deal with such a situation.

I don't think there is any value in going back over who that individual was, what they posted and when, as this specific instance has all been dealt with by the mods. The only reason I brought it up was because it must have been hard work for them dealing with this individual (and all the reports made by other forumites) for the last ~9 months, and that a tweak to the CoC might make it easier for them if this ever recurred in the future (for instance if the same individual came back under another account). Even so, if the mods don't think a CoC change is necessary that is absolutely fine, it's no biggie.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

Thanks Matty, I do appreciate your thoughts. 

The member you refer to has now been permanently banned. His last post was entirely my fault as, in a moment of thoughtlessness, I let it through when I really shouldn't have. It has since been removed. 

Don't be too hard on yourself - it couldn't be entirely your fault, as you didn't write it!  Content wise it was actually one of his less extreme ones, and if he didn't have such a recent chequered history I don't think any of us would have minded. I was just amazed he would start back after his "holiday" from the forum with something with exactly the same tone as the previous posts that caused him issues in the past, but there you go - everyone's different... 

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1